BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking to see if anyone has used the Esco 10499 jack stands with the stainless steel blocks that fit into the BMW jack points?

·
Registered
10,930 Posts
The ESCO's (or mine, anyway) have a rubber insert. The E46's jack points also have a rubber insert. Rubber on rubber... no paint or undercoat scratching, no rust, and good grip. Under (above) the pads is a channel, in the shape of a symmetric cross. The channels accept a special shackle for lashing the cars down on a ship. (They don't work on tow trucks, because they need the springs blocks to keep the lashings tights.)

But, be careful. A lot of people have had their E46's rear jack point collapse if the entire side of the car is lifted off the ground from the rear jack point. I avoided this by cutting a bunch of 2" x 6" boards, 2 and 2.5 feet long. I'd jack the front and built a pad under the tires (two boards wide), and let the car back down onto the boards. Then, I'd do the back. Then, I'd repeat two or three more times, adding boards, until I could get the jack stands under the car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I debating on which ones. The ones with the stainless steel blocks are $40 more so I'm kinda leaning towards the ones with the rubber circles.

·
Registered
10,930 Posts
I debating on which ones. The ones with the stainless steel blocks are $40 more so I'm kinda leaning towards the ones with the rubber circles.
Taking the rubber blocks off the car is a PIA. If you still have all of them on the car, I'd go with the rubber block jack stands.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All four of the jack points still have the rubber on them. So you would choose the ones with the rubber circles instead of the stainless steel blocks that fit into the jack points?

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Id go with the rubber pad ones.

Wish I had a set for this Mondays project. Replacing the steering rack, tierod ends, power steering pump and lines. Didn't even know about these particular ones till this post. No way to get them before Monday now :(

·
Rambling Wreck
2,073 Posts
I have the Danish-made AC Hydraulic flat-top stands with the round rubber pads. They were the gold standard, and more readily available in the U.S., before ESCO introduced their Chinese-made copies.

If I were shopping for stands today, I would not want the ones with the lifting block adapters, as I might one day need to support a vehicle that doesn't use that particular lifting block. The flat-top stands would be more versatile.

·
Registered
10,930 Posts
I have the Danish-made AC Hydraulic flat-top stands with the round rubber pads. They were the gold standard, and more readily available in the U.S., before ESCO introduced their Chinese-made copies.

If I were shopping for stands today, I would not want the ones with the lifting block adapters, as I might one day need to support a vehicle that doesn't use that particular lifting block. The flat-top stands would be more versatile.
I talked to the importer of both AC and Esco years ago. He said that the quality of AC's was declining fast. The Esco's have some very sloppy welds on them, though. I hate buying Chinese stuff.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went ahead an ordered a pair of the 10498.
I got the 10498 instead of the 10499 mainly because they have a 12" base compared to the 10499 10".
The main two reasons I got these were I like the pin style better then the ratchet and I think the rubber pad is a much better idea, especially for BMW. Also you can by adaptors like the stainless steel blocks or the rubber blocks.
I would prefer to by U.S. made and I looked at U.S. Jack but they were the ratchet and I've read reviews where their welds were not always the best.
I started to get the Norco 81205 or 81205i, exact same stand but one made in U.S. the other China. They look like excellent jack stands but I just liked the round rubber on the Esco better.

·
Rambling Wreck
2,073 Posts
I talked to the importer of both AC and Esco years ago. He said that the quality of AC's was declining fast. The Esco's have some very sloppy welds on them, though. I hate buying Chinese stuff.
That's too bad about AC Hydraulic. Their stands and floor jack have served us well. I bought them many, many years ago, shortly after the frame of a made-in-China, two-ton floor jack bent while I was attempting to raise the front end of my E36. I'll never buy Chinese lifting equipment again.

·
Go Hokies!
276 Posts
OP, I think you'll be happy with your choice of the ESCO 10498 stands. I've had them for a few years. Nice, sturdy stands. Didn't really see the need for the adapter to fit in the BMW rectangular recesses. They got my wagon up high enough for a clutch job, and the flat round top is usable on my other vehicles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts