21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,546 Posts
Will they build a wall?

·
Super Moderator
3,619 Posts
There is a possibility of EU countries letting US citizens living in the US into their country because of a boyfriend or girlfriend. See this tweet of July 2nd. https://twitter.com/YlvaJohansson (EU Commissioner for Home Affairs). I don't think one can claim they have an intimate relationship with a car that is sitting in the Welt.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Guys, just to tell you ... now is the time to sit home and amass great fortune by not spending even a penny - especially so on travelling. Just. Don't. Do. It.

I went 200 miles south to the Cumberland Lake in Kentucky for business and quickly kicked the idea that travelling with car only is a good idea. Nobody knows anything. You cannot rely on any information your read on your phone/tablet/PC. You gotta pick up the phone and verify with a human whatever it is you are planning to do - even just a simple thing as going to restaurant to eat. That's domestic travel.

I contacted two embassies (transit country and final destination country) and called Delta 4 times before departure. I had to go home to Croatia last Thursday because my mom is not well and needs 24 hours care. After all this and all the due diligence I did before the trip, I got to the Detroit airport (Delta didn't have a single seat anywhere for a Diamond passenger from Cincinnati to Atlanta) only to be told I will not be allowed to go on the trip. It is a classic. There is a computer that does not want to print my boarding pass - and that's it. Human is looking shell-shocked and feeling terrible looking at me when I explained why, against all my better judgment, I actually had to go. Nothing. Computer says no. She tried talking to some people on the phone and allegedly the reson was Holland's refusal to grant me the transit on Shiphol to board the plane to Venice. I have 2 EU citizenships, not one. Couldn't check in, didn't board, took a car and went back to Cincinnati.

So, word of wisdom to all of you ... nobody knows anything, nobody can tell you anything, at least in US humans cannot do anything if computer doesn't say so. Better Call Saul. Only $10/month and so much better than dealing with everything that is called "travel" today. Just stay home and tank the economy. Enjoy money you saved when nobody has any left. You win :)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,125 Posts
Sorry to hear Mark. Most airlines rely on TIMAC for immigration/transit/passport information, which is automated. Now with boarder controls changing hourly, nobody knows how to think.

Might have been different if you had citizenship at the transit point. and or booked a separate onward ticket. Dunno, just WAGs

July 4 there was a private jet w Americans, Kiwis and Aussies that flew from Colorado to Sardinia. US pax refused entry. Kids and all in tow. After 16 hours they all bailed, flew to UK.

Bad times....

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,125 Posts
I don't think one can claim they have an intimate relationship with a car that is sitting in the Welt.
Humph.

Clearly they are NOT bimmer drivers.... :angel:

·
Freude am Fahren
19,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Guys, just to tell you ... now is the time to sit home and amass great fortune by not spending even a penny - especially so on travelling. Just. Don't. Do. It.
In general and as someone who runs a travel magazine, I concur.

Please send your mother the best wishes of all of us at the Bimmerfest ED forum. Will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

I had to go home to Croatia last Thursday because my mom is not well and needs 24 hours care.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Please send your mother the best wishes of all of us at the Bimmerfest ED forum. Will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you for kind words, Jonathan.

It was a bad experience trying to get your relative admitted to a permanent care facility from 5,000 miles away and on the phone. Not the least of the problems was how to actually pay for that - believe it or not. Kudos to all friends and relatives who moved in to help with that.

I have to say something, way OT, but nonetheless. I started working in US on L1 visa in 2001. L1 visa is for intercompany exchange of resources, so I was still paid in Italy by HQ and living and spending money in US while working in a subsidiary. That arrangement lasted for 5 years. So, believe me when I tell you this : banking operations between continents have regressed to levels of probably mid-20th century if not worse. This is the best of possible examples when you deploy technology to detriment of the human beings - it is simply mind-bendingly horrible. Main point being it cut out many of the people who you would call with an issue or made them impossibly hard to get.

Before you say it ... fintech like Revolut might work awesome on P2P basis, but it doesn't solve normal bill paying. Good luck convincing your power company (or permanent care for elderly) to accept or use fintech like Revolut.

·
Super Moderator
3,619 Posts
Looks like only 6 weeks until European Delivery ends. I think it already ended because tourists won't be allowed in soon.

So, believe me when I tell you this : banking operations between continents have regressed to levels of probably mid-20th century if not worse.
Fortunately, it's better between the US and Canada. RBC allows seamless transfers between US RBC (mainly an online bank) and RBC in Canada though one can get a better exchange rate outside of RBC and wire money. TD Bank (mainly Maine to Virginia + FL, NC, SC, TX) and TD Canada Trust is similar.

US-France used to be primitive.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts