BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the rear fog light be activated on a US spec E90? Typically it's in the drivers side rear lens assembly. I believe they help reduce rear end collisions.

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
Can the rear fog light be activated on a US spec E90? Typically it's in the drivers side rear lens assembly. I believe they help reduce rear end collisions.
You need to purchase a euro switch that replaces you stock lights switch and voila, it has two buttons for front and rear fog lights
Part # 61 31 6 932 796. Simple plug and play unit retails for like 60 bucks. It's already pre-wired from the factory to work with the euro switch

·
Flying monkey herder
8,166 Posts
You need to purchase a euro switch that replaces you stock lights switch and voila, it has two buttons for front and rear fog lights
Part # 61 31 6 932 796. Simple plug and play unit retails for like 60 bucks. It's already pre-wired from the factory to work with the euro switch
exactly right. 100% plug and play, it uses the adaptive brake lights (the ones on the trunk that light up when you panic stop) and lights them full time. (while your rear fog lights are on, the brake force display feature is disabled.)

·
ericm3boy
56 Posts
Hello panerai7 & Orient330iNYC, how easy is the installation? When you said "stock light switch", you mean the original push button foglight switch or the turn knob type light switch? How did you take them out? How long does it take to install?

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
Use flat head screwdriver with a scotch tape wrapped around it a couple of times.
Pry out the trim above the switchplate, pry out the switchplate. Disconnect it, connect the new euro switchplate. Install it back in the dash, install the trim back in the dash.

Done, Enjoy. Notice how the new switch has two buttons for front and rear fog lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
isn't this illegal in virtually every state?

I am not sure I would like the added attention from police, your car will really stick out with these and get you stopped by the man.

·
Registered
107 Posts
isn't this illegal in virtually every state?

I am not sure I would like the added attention from police, your car will really stick out with these and get you stopped by the man.
From the CA vehicle code:

Fog Taillamps
24602. (a) A vehicle may be equipped with not more
than two red fog taillamps mounted on the rear which may be
lighted, in addition to the required taillamps, only when
atmospheric conditions, such as fog, rain, snow, smoke, or
dust, reduce the daytime or nighttime visibility of other
vehicles to less than 500 feet.
(b) The lamps authorized under subdivision (a) shall be
installed as follows:
(1) When two lamps are installed, one shall be mounted at
the left side and one at the right side at the same level and as
close as practical to the sides. When one lamp is installed, it
shall be mounted as close as practical to the left side or on the
center of the vehicle.
(2) The lamps shall be mounted not lower than 12 inches
nor higher than 60 inches.
(3) The edge of the lens of the lamp shall be no closer than
four inches from the edge of the lens of any stoplamp.
(4) The lamps shall be wired so they can be turned on only
when the headlamps are on and shall have a switch that
allows them to be turned off when the headlamps are on.
(5) A nonflashing amber pilot light that is lighted when
the lamps are turned on shall be mounted in a location
readily visible to the driver.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,166 Posts
Hello panerai7 & Orient330iNYC, how easy is the installation? When you said "stock light switch", you mean the original push button foglight switch or the turn knob type light switch? How did you take them out? How long does it take to install?
very easy, i did it in my parking garage on a lunch break. 10 minutes tops. the replacement switch has both the turn knob buttons as a single unit. i was able to get mine out without tools, just pulled on the edge of the trim closest to the steering wheel

·
Registered
905 Posts
Keep in mind you lose the adaptive brake light function when you do this (where the rear fogs come on when you hit the brakes harder). If I lived in an area with a lot of fog I would do it though.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Does it work with the E92?

·
Banned
4,301 Posts
Keep in mind you lose the adaptive brake light function when you do this (where the rear fogs come on when you hit the brakes harder). If I lived in an area with a lot of fog I would do it though.
Does this loss of ABL's occur only when both sets of fog's are "on"? Meaning that if its not foggy out and I do not have the front fogs turned on then the ABL function occurs normally; correct?

BJ

·
Registered
905 Posts
No you lose the functionality with the euro-switch plugged in.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I believe you only lose that while they are manually switched on.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Does it work with the E92?
Yes It does.

No you lose the functionality with the euro-switch plugged in.
You are incorrect.

I believe you only lose that while they are manually switched on.
True! :thumbup:

It is a very easy mod and read this thread before asking more questions....... It has pages and pages of questions and answers..... Also, as stated above rear fog lights are not illegal! Volvo, Range Rover, Jaguar & Porsche all have them.

EURO REAR FOG DIY

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
With the rear fog lights on you will increase the distance that you can be seen in a dense fog by 100%. The rear fog lights are very bright and should not be used unless it IS foggy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the complete info. Will try the install.
More about rear fog lights. My wife just received an 07 Mini from Rasmussen in PDX,OR. Had she registered it in OR she could not have ordered the rear fog light option. Since she lives just across the state line in WA, she was able to get that option installed. It comes with two independant rear lights controlled by a seperate switch. Beach Bimmer.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
With the rear fog lights on you will increase the distance that you can be seen in a dense fog by 100%. The rear fog lights are very bright and should not be used unless it IS foggy.
If you are using this mod, then what happens to the distance from which someone behind can see you braking hard? Is the remaining brake light as bright?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A followup guestion for panerai7; what is the empty zone on the left side of the light switch control module for? Usually blank spots in control areas are a filler for some feature not available in this market. Any idea what? Beach Bimmer.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts