BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a vehicle from a US dealer for Euro delivery, but never ship it to the US? I am planning on moving to Austria, in which case I can bring my personal possessions in free of duty. The price of a BMW in the US is much lower than in Austria and so I would like to just treat it as my personal possession when I take up residence. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
I know a thing or two...
7,440 Posts
Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a vehicle from a US dealer for Euro delivery, but never ship it to the US? I am planning on moving to Austria, in which case I can bring my personal possessions in free of duty. The price of a BMW in the US is much lower than in Austria and so I would like to just treat it as my personal possession when I take up residence. Any advice would be appreciated.
No.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Nope!!!!!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I don't know if this is legal but you might take delivery of the car in Munich then have it redelivered to you in the US and then ship it over as part of your personal effects. It would probably still be a lot cheaper than buying it in Austria. I suppose that it would not meet European standards and that might be a problem.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I don't know if this is legal but you might take delivery of the car in Munich then have it redelivered to you in the US and then ship it over as part of your personal effects. That should meet BMW's requirements. It would probably still be a lot cheaper than buying it in Austria. I suppose that it would not meet European standards and that might be a problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know if this is legal but you might take delivery of the car in Munich then have it redelivered to you in the US and then ship it over as part of your personal effects. It would probably still be a lot cheaper than buying it in Austria. I suppose that it would not meet European standards and that might be a problem.
Yes, I agree that would work but why have the shipping back and forth? One can have their personal possessions in different locations and it doesnt all have to arrive in one lump sum. According to someone I checked with - who shipped their car to europe - the standards arent very different anymore and modifications are pretty trivial.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I recall signing something not too long ago about agreeing to pay VAT if the car wasn't send back to the US. I don't remember the exact verbiage.

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
Yes, I agree that would work but why have the shipping back and forth?
Because the ED program contract requires you to take redelivery in the US.

One can have their personal possessions in different locations and it doesnt all have to arrive in one lump sum.
For the UK, you have up to a year after you've moved to bring in your personal car duty free.

You must have possessed and used the vehicle for at least 6 months.
You must have paid tax on the car in the US.
You must keep the car for at least 12 months.

Austria could be different, but I suspect these are EU rules not UK.

In the UK, the car also has to pass an IVA inspection. That won't the be same in Austria.

·
SchaffeschaffeHäuslebaue
37 Posts
I sold a US plated car in Germany. Prior to the German buying being able to register the vehicle they had to pay 19% of the purchase price in German VAT taxes, and an additional 10% import duty. To pass the German TUV (safety Inspection) the lights had to be changed (no orange parking lights)...not sure what else... I imagine that Austria should be similar taxes/ mods to register your US vehicle there.

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
I think you'd be on the hook for the VAT which I guess would hit you when you go to actually register it. Other than that I can't see how they can force you to ship the car over. Interestingly, Audi collects the VAT upfront and than refunds it once the car comes back to the US. I seem to recall that BMW charges their dealers for teh VAT if the car isn't returned and then the dealer would try to get the money from you I suppose.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Devil's Advocate - how could they possibly enforce this?
The license plates on the car at delivery are tourist plates that are visually different than other EU plates (red tag on the right instead of blue tag on the left) and that expire when you said that you'd be returning the car to BMW. You also get paperwork showing the export tourist status. I don't know about others, but we got stopped twice at border crossings and asked for papers. There were no issues with the papers, but we did get asked.

If you wanted to stay you'd have to figure out how to convince a country to give you regular plates based on the documentation you had (and I don't think that'd be legally possible), so BMW doesn't really need to enforce anything since EU governmental officials will do that just fine.

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
ED price includes shipping to America.

If you move home to the UK, you don't pay VAT on personal cars imported from the US. From the original post, it sounds like this is also true for Austria. It is probably cheaper to pay to ship the car back to Europe than to pay VAT.

On more thing you will probably have to pay cash for the car. -- Forget about doing this with a BMW FS lease. We asked.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.