BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
X
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only qualm is the kidney grille area will have to be ground down... they're actually lopsided, and one side is a slightly different shape =/

Attachments

·
Banned
6 Posts
I am glad everything arrived okay. We can't wait to see the final pictures. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
993 Posts
I imagine the cf hood is the much discussed $800 job. Details on the rest? Do you plan on keeping the 97-00 chrome grills or going to 01-03 chrome or black ones?

·
e39 m5 touring aspirant
1,725 Posts
Only qualm is the kidney grille area will have to be ground down... they're actually lopsided, and one side is a slightly different shape =/
i had the most trouble with the grille section myself...but it can definitely worked with! i tried doing it on my own, but after that, i recommend anyone who gets this hood a body shop whos got experience with CF...

here's reference to the modding i had to do on the hood:

UPDATE:

i finally got everything in order!!! You name it everything! Here's a list of the following that I had to modify:

1. initially dremelled then filed down hinges to hold grilles.
2. epoxied broken tabs on the grilles. (oops! shows how much of a pro i am)
3. filed bigger room for the windshield washers.
4. filed down grommets on hood roundel.
5. drilled two center holes for the hood springs

taken from

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3151299&postcount=86

hope this helps you uniter! =) can't wait to see pics of final install!!! =)

·
The Usual Suspect
2,731 Posts
Why are you having to modify an $800 hood? I would be pissed.

The kidneys don't look symetrical in the OP's pic.

·
e39 m5 touring aspirant
1,725 Posts

i guess u'd be more pissed to modify a CF Hood for $1500 =)...kidding aside, that's part of CF's nature...there will be imperfections. what u try to avoid is when u would require shaving off the sides of the hood for it to line up with the fenders! =)...

·
Official Wheelman
1,329 Posts
Can't wait to see pics. I have been curious to know what the CF hood would look like on a darker color.

We already know it looks great on white.:thumbup:

·
My name is Andy
666 Posts

Better to be too small and grind down excess than too big of an opening and have to fill in spots.

Narrow opening are common in after market CF products.

·
The Usual Suspect
2,731 Posts
i guess u'd be more pissed to modify a CF Hood for $1500 =)...kidding aside, that's part of CF's nature...there will be imperfections. what u try to avoid is when u would require shaving off the sides of the hood for it to line up with the fenders! =)...
I know, but you see what I'm saying. I just feel like when you pay good money for something it should be ready right out of the box. I understand you may have to do a little here or there to get it aligned but shaping up the kidneys seems a bit much.

·
X
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Closeup of kidney grills, I was expecting to have to ground some stuff down.
The kidney-grill center seems to be a few cm off, I'm bringing it to my body shop tomorrow w/ new kidneys and I'll see if he can clean it up...
*/Vic @ EuroDyne: will you guys replace the hood if it's impossible to get centered?

Attachments

·
Bimmerfest *******
830 Posts
Closeup of kidney grills, I was expecting to have to ground some stuff down.
The kidney-grill center seems to be a few cm off, I'm bringing it to my body shop tomorrow w/ new kidneys and I'll see if he can clean it up...
Dan/Vic @ EuroDyne: will you guys replace the hood if it's impossible to get centered?
When you're at the body shop, please give me a call at 909-869-8007 before doing any modifications. The reason is because I want to make sure that the body shop has the confidence of making it work. If they have doubts, I'd rather get the hood back unadulterared and have it replaced with another one here in stock. The one you have, I'll return to the manufacturer.

The thing is, will you mind if I open up the new package here to check on imperfections? This is all just plan B. Hopefully tomorrow the body shop does see it fit for good modifications. I apologize in advance if it doesn't pan out.

·
X
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I'll have them give you a call :)
I did some measuring on the windshield washer openings, they don't look like they're off :thumbup:

I'll be in canada on the 4th of May for a few months so I hope everything goes well tomorrow!

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
Getting mine installed today Vic. Car is at the body shop now and they have my new M5 grills to put on also. I'll probably start a separate thread on that but wanted to let you all know. I'll keep ya posted. Goodluck Uniter and be sure to post after install pics! :thumbup:

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
2 pics of the hood before install taken today.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts