BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am new to this forum. i am purchasing a 2006 530xit. i am scheduled to drop the car off in florence and am told that a "professional" driver actually takes the car back to germany. my dealer tells me he has heard of at least one complaint about this and that i should avoid it if i can.

my trip plans make it difficult for me to personally drive all the way back to munich from italy. has anyone had any experience with the droppff process in italy. was it satisfactory? i am not so concerned about the car being stolen. or totalled or any thing like that. my concern is someone simply driving very fast and perhaps redlining it during the breakin period...any thoughts would be welcome.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
euro delivery italy dropoff

i am purchasing (i am told) the very first 2006 530 xit. cant wait. i am concerned about dropoff in florence since my dealer in california tells me he doesnt recommend it since a professional driver actually drives the car back to germany. he relayed one story of a customer who was very dissatosfied with this service. ie. the car came back scratched and filthy inside.
it would be areal push for me to drive all the way back to munich from italy at the end of my trip. i am wondering if anyone has had or heard of any experiences with italy droppff using the professional driver.
also, what is the break-in period for new bimmers? other than the psychologically difficult issue of simply handing my keys to a stranger, i guess i am concerned about that person really driving the car hard, before it is properly broken-in. any thoughts?

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,346 Posts
All Italy drop-off are driven by professional drivers not labor pool drivers. Your dealers story does not hold water because any damage, regardles who caused it, to the car is supposed to be taken care at the Vehicle Processing Center prior to redelivery. If it is not done then you can bring any damge to your dealer's attention for repair at no charge under the terms of the ED program. (I did) How can your dealer say that a car was redelivered dirty and filthy. Doe he not detail the car he redelivers? :eek: My car was turned in dirty and filthy after driving in Europe during 2 weeks and 1,200 miles. At redelivery it was nice and shiny. Even the cracker crumbs from inside the car were gone. :D

·
:-)
2,262 Posts
wagonman said:
......perhaps redlining it during the breakin period...any thoughts would be welcome.
perhaps? every shift will be at the fuel cutoff point most likely. you don't have to drive it back all the way to munich, they have dropoff points throughout europe. just make sure it's not italy.

·
Registered
688 Posts
LDV330i said:
Shouldn't cross post. :nono:
Why not drop it off in Nice? Isn't Nice about 5-6 hours from Florence? The problem with some unknown driving it are:

1-Boogers-at least half a dozen boogers will end up underneath your seat or will be the kind that get dry and crumble into your carpet, becoming an integral part of it. If you drop your car in Italy, be careful when you reach for something underneath your seat.

2-Smoking-if you do not smoke, this may be an issue

3-Using the backseat with a girlfriend and leaving body fluids in the back seat.

4-Miles will accumulate all the way to Munich

5-The driver may not be as nice to the car during break-in as you would.

Again, consider Nice. Also, there is an Euro Delivery forum in here.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Why not drop it off in Nice? Isn't Nice about 5-6 hours from Florence? The problem with some unknown driving it are:

1-Boogers-at least half a dozen boogers will end up underneath your seat or will be the kind that get dry and crumble into your carpet, becoming an integral part of it. If you drop your car in Italy, be careful when you reach for something underneath your seat.

2-Smoking-if you do not smoke, this may be an issue

3-Using the backseat with a girlfriend and leaving body fluids in the back seat.

4-Miles will accumulate all the way to Munich

5-The driver may not be as nice to the car during break-in as you would.

Again, consider Nice. Also, there is an Euro Delivery forum in here.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Threads merged

Welcome to the Bimmerfest

Please do not cross-post.

Thank you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts