BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took delivery of my first BMW by way of Euro Delivery in Munich in mid-May. It's supposedly arriving at port on 6/25. Shouldn't be too much longer before she gets to the dealership ... I have been tracking it through Owners' Circle and through the shipping agency. The waiting is killing me!

Questions:

(i) I took my front euro license plate off when dropping it off in Europe. Will by rear euro license plate still be on the car when it arrives?

(ii) I talked to the euro delivery professionals about break in period -- they said keep the engine under 4500 rpm or 100 mph while driving. I kept the engine under 4000 rpm for most of my journey throughout Germany, but took it up to 80-105 mph on the autobahn (hovered around 4500 rpm at speeds over 100 mph). I never stayed at one speed to keep the engine breathing. The euro guys also said it would be OK to exceed the 4500 rpm limit, but only in emergency situations. Should I be worried about this -- the fact I pushed it a little? Once it gets here, I'll keep her at 70 or under ... but I couldn't resist the autobahn!

(iii) What is done at the Vehicle Prep Center, besides installation of accessories? Do they give the engine a looksy? How long does it typically take to get from the VPC to the dealership?

(iv) Are there any "must-have" BMW accessories I should immediately buy that will make my life easier? (ie. cargo mat, front bra, etc.)

Thanks.

2002 325i 5spd / Steel Gray / Black Leather
SP, CWP, PP / HK Upgrade / Bi-xenon

·
Ölmeßstabmeister
762 Posts
Your rear plate will make it... in fact, if you leave both on, they will both make it (I dropped mine off in Amsterdam and they wouldn't let me take one off). They must remain on the car until you receive it -- the license plates are part of the documentation on the bill of lading that you sign when you drop it off...

Accessories that are nice to get are the UGDO (garage door opener) and the cargo net. I got the UGDO before it arrived in the US and installed it the first day I had the car. Got the cargo net a month or so ago...

·
hockey-holic
322 Posts
Regarding break-in, it's not going to kill the engine if you rev past 4500 or 100mph once or twice during break in. What they're saying is that constantly going past those limits might have a detrimental effect on properly breaking in the engine (loose seals comes to mind).

As far as accessories, all of the common ones (CD changer, cargo net, alarm, etc.) are fairly easy to install so IMHO, none are really needed prior to pick up of the car. I bought a bunch of stuff at the Munich dealership before my car came back from Germany in anticipation of my car arriving 6 weeks later. Besides, it was really cheap at the time (Oct. 2000) due to the exchange rate.

The prep center washes the cosmoline off the car, checks for damage and fixes them if damaged. Ausgang wrote up a Roundel article that outlined the whole process. I'm sure I missed some steps.

Time to dealer depends on how many are being unloaded from the ship. Your car could be the last one taken off the ship plus whatever time it takes for shipping time. It varies a lot. As I recall, my car took about a week to get from Oxnard VPC to Santa Barbara.

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
what you did to the engine is fine, they mean really hard driving pre-1250 miles...

i would definately get a radar detector if you plan to drive fast a V1 if you can afford, and maybe id reccomend intake or exhaust, its the only high gain easy stuff to do ps dont make a rice burner

·
Meat Puppet
211 Posts
I waited a while and then pushed it to 135 for a few moments on the Autobahn during my ED. (Needed to see how fast she goes, and I certainly can't do 135 here in the US, without a nasty ticket, or a pothole putting me in a ditch)

11K miles on it, no oil consumption after the first 2K miles. About a half quart over the first 2k miles, which is fairly normal.

The spedometer pic in my sig is from A8 outside of Stuttgart.

Cargo net and UDGO, are essential in my opinion. Purchased the Net and the Alarm in Munich (saved a few dollars) UDGO appears to be a US only option, even with the part number they had no idea where to get it.

The wait is painful, but it will be worth it!

·
hockey-holic
322 Posts
There is a huge dealership on the Frankfurt (sp?) Ring. It's only about a mile or so away. Ask your service guy at the pick up center for directions. That's where I picked up a bunch of stuff way cheap.

·
Meat Puppet
211 Posts
Nedersling (sp?) is the dealership. Most of the guys at the parts counter do NOT speak english well, so expect to do lots of pointing if you don't have the part number with you.

They tend to have lots of stuff in stock, and can get parts on 2-3 day's notice for the stuff that is out of stock. Best solution if you want the exotic stuff (birch trim, etc) would be to either order in advance via fax (which makes translation easier) or to order and come back at the end of your trip to pick it up.

Prices were about 25% less than in the US, and in some cases considerably more.

You'll have a GREAT time on your trip!

·
desmoquattro addict
55 Posts
were you on the Tricolor?

Hey, my car arrived on the 25th as well in Los Angeles. Maybe we were on the same boat? (Tricolor) I dropped off my car in Nice, where it then got trucked to Antwerp. Anyway, the letter from ED said it could take up to 20 days after docking to arrive at the dealer.

I left both plates on my car (as well as the floormats) and I hope they both make it intact. How cool to drive around for awhile in the States with Euro plates!

I was pretty good about keeping the revs below 4000 in Europe, but it was hard because the engine is so smooth. I almost redlined it once by mistake. :yikes:

I bought a UUC short shift kit the day I ordered the car, and I'll put it on the day after I get it!

Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hantavirus,

yes, tricolor on the 25th. that is the same vessel my car was on.

yes, looking forward to driving around with Euro plates for 6-8 weeks while i wait for my custom plates to arrive!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts