BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guy,

First disclimer:
Ard I searched internet all over the place, found photos of drain tubes for E39, E46 etc. but not E70.
I think I have clogged drain tubes since I cleaned AC system thoroughly using Lysol and Einszett Klima cleaner (does not get better then that) but after two days smell is coming back. Now it is even stronger which means Einszett did not drain. I have no any water below car, and although Colorado is ridiculously dry, there is still some moisture in he air. Considering I will have a baby in two weeks I need to solve this issue.
I do not have jack stands that high to allow me to easily find tubes, so I would appreciate if someone could point exact location of those tubes. Photos would be even better!
I tried yesterday, but after an hour I just gave up.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,377 Posts
Im two days away from the car....

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
IIRC, you have to remove the plastic shield that covers tranny to see it.

Also, the best way to clean A/C is thru the temp sensor cover in the driver's footwell.

·
Registered
324 Posts
So no one?
Crap, I will have to spend more time under the car tomorrow!
I'm interested in what you find out as long as you are taking one for the team.

I've noted that my A/C drains someplace above the rear of the transmission when I was inspecting the front drive shaft. I thought this a bit odd at the time because it has caused one of the pan bolts to start rusting. I would have thought that the A/C drainage would have a better solution than that, but couldn't pinpoint where the drainage was coming from.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,371 Posts
Others have noted the propinquity of the condensate drain to the front propellor shaft as a potential cause of rust and failing U-joint.

·
Freude am Fahren
2,482 Posts
Try this: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791912

BTW, when you say "clean the AC", you mean clean the outside of the AC housing and air ducts?

Did you clean the surrounding carpet?

And remember, when you shut off the engine and AC, the duct air flaps close ...

If you have a "band-aid" smell, you have the dreaded evaporator failure ... HUGE job, dash needs to come apart etc. You have any warranty left?

GL

·
Registered
324 Posts
Others have noted the propinquity of the condensate drain to the front propellor shaft as a potential cause of rust and failing U-joint.
I could see that, but it didn't appear to be hitting mine at all. I have 92k on mine now and it looks nearly new except for surface corrosion on the nuts of the shaft. It looks much better than most of the ones I've seen posted here. Mine also has a 1 month later production date than the recall, so maybe that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try this: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791912

BTW, when you say "clean the AC", you mean clean the outside of the AC housing and air ducts?

Did you clean the surrounding carpet?

And remember, when you shut off the engine and AC, the duct air flaps close ...

If you have a "band-aid" smell, you have the dreaded evaporator failure ... HUGE job, dash needs to come apart etc. You have any warranty left?

GL
Thanx Pax. I was trying for few days to find some photos.
It is not band aid smell, it is just moldy smell. I think owner of the car before me was running AC all the time (car was registered in Bakersfield, so understand that) and never cleaned system. I rarely use AC, I just open all windows and roof and that is it, even on interstate. But I do give regular "workouts" to AC just for system to get spin at least once a week. However, now that wife is almost 39 week, AC is on when she is in the car and smell is there when I turn on ventilation. I know that all openings close once I shut down car, but I turn off AC always in all cars several minutes before turning off car and blow ventilation in order to dry off. However, there is no single drip of water below. I was running car 30 minutes in garage few days ago being under, NOTHING! My carpet is dry because I do not use AC that much in the first place, so that is not an issue, but I do not want to become issue.
So how I cleaned system:
1. Removed all three filters.
2. Applied Lysol generously through intake hole where two outside filters are located while ventilation was at full swing. I switched between legs, body, windshield direction, cold hot, then AC operation, same again changing direction.
3. After half a can of lysol, I ran vent for 20 minutes to dry off any lysol.
4. Then I applied Einszatts klima control through blower. Waited 30 minutes, then ran AC for an hour driving.

Everything was great for two days, except that I did not see any Einszatt draining from system, which tells me that tubes are clogged.

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, found the drain. Completely dry!!!
I tried to use hanger wire, computer gas canister for cleaning, nothing worked.
I think problem is somewhere else. AC works like crazy, blows cold air as it suppose to blow.
But no condensation coming out.
Will have to take to BMW, luckily have CPO.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,377 Posts
does air flow freely, or is it still blocked?

If it is blocked by dirt/muck/environmental contaminants, unless a mechanical defect like an errant fastener into the tube, or a tube crushed during assembly, you will most likely get charged....

Id have a heart to heart with the SA about what it might be, how they will classify and what proof you will get... both sides should understand that there is some uncertainty here, and you are just trying to understand your exposure.

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
does air flow freely, or is it still blocked?

If it is blocked by dirt/muck/environmental contaminants, unless a mechanical defect like an errant fastener into the tube, or a tube crushed during assembly, you will most likely get charged....

Id have a heart to heart with the SA about what it might be, how they will classify and what proof you will get... both sides should understand that there is some uncertainty here, and you are just trying to understand your exposure.
Air blows great. AC pumps air really good, super cold.
But tube is dry like gun powder. I tried with hanger wire as much as possible, no.
Tied with gas canister and attached small hose to it so it goes all the way in, nothing.
Will see with SA> He is good with me and once checked car for free for several days (thermostat). I think he will be honest. If they say there will be charge, I already talked to my indy mechanic and will will try some different approach.

·
Nuclear engineer
18,371 Posts
How about an automotive HVAC shop, all auto AC have condensate drains.

Is there one tube or two, I thought I recall left and right at RealOEM?

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
How about an automotive HVAC shop, all auto AC have condensate drains.

Is there one tube or two, I thought I recall left and right at RealOEM?
Based on diagram I think those tubes connect to each other.
I do not have such a large jack to get car high up so that it is comfortable below transmission area that much. Regardless, this one tube I found should be at least a bit moist. I tried to unclog with hanger wire, but wire did not pick up any dirt or moisture, which tells me issue is higher up. I tried to look on both sides of transmission and I have been able only to locate one tube. I could be missing something though (which at this point I would prefer that I missed something).
My SA at local BMW said he think they can work it out for CPO to cover. I will still give it a try with my friend, local Euro mechanic before I take it to BMW.
EDIT: Yes, it says two hoses, and I have been able to locate only one. I think I need real lift to get car up so I can find hoses. Will try to locate with my friend and take good photos of them.

·
Nuclear engineer
18,371 Posts
Try 0.060 string trimmer string, maybe in a slow, real slow, drill motor.

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Try 0.060 string trimmer string, maybe in a slow, real slow, drill motor.
Yeah, I will that and my friend is well equipped so will try also to use compressor to certain extent (I would not like to create even bigger issue.
I seriously need to get some professional lifts.

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, looks like there are two drains, left and right. Also look like there is a 90 deg bend in each line, where #4 attaches to #3. Maybe #3 is clogged?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=ZV43-USA-09-2011-E70N-BMW-X5_35iX&diagId=64_1583
Yeah, number 4 is on angle, attached to No.3, but no.3 is not visible.
I mean, if someone told BMW engineers to make this complicated, I think they would not come up with something like this.
Typical case of German over-engineering.

·
Registered Boozer
680 Posts
Yeah, number 4 is on angle, attached to No.3, but no.3 is not visible.
I mean, if someone told BMW engineers to make this complicated, I think they would not come up with something like this.
Typical case of German over-engineering.
Maybe to prevent small critters/snakes/insects from nesting inside?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts