BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I KNOW I've read this, and I did do a search but came up empty. Can anyone comment?

I did ED on my 02 330ci--SP, manual, Xenons, and roof. Basic setup. On one occasion only, the car popped pretty loudly out of second after I shifted and began accellerating.

I thought I had read about this. Can you tell me if this was a case of a bad shift (maybe not fully in 2nd gear)-- a problem between the steering wheel and seat...or is it something that others have experienced.

Thanks in advance!

Lansing

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yeah, I've heard about this happening to others, and this has happened to me twice in the first month that I had the car.

Both times after having shifted from 1st to 2nd, while accelerating hard. On analysis, I attribute it to an incomplete shift (eg. when rushing a shift on an unfamiliar shifter), whereby the 2nd gear had not completely engaged into gear, and so pops out when power is applied.

Just be deliberate with your shifting and you should be ok :thumbup:

·
Registered
895 Posts
happened to me too when i just got the car. Just shove the knob in the gate, especially on cold mornings ( less then 40 degree F). I just changed to RedLine tranny fluid, so i have yet to experience this, or the notchy shifting that occurs every once and awhile. Cold shifts are alot nicer now.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Plaz said:
I've never had that problem. :dunno:
A short shifter seems to either remedy or exacerbate the problem.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Happens to me too...I think its just because we're not shifting properly, not connecting with the shift gate correctly. It usually happens to me when I'm not paying enough attention. :dunno:

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
Re: Re: Ever pop outta gear?

visor said:
Both times after having shifted from 1st to 2nd, while accelerating hard. On analysis, I attribute it to an incomplete shift (eg. when rushing a shift on an unfamiliar shifter), whereby the 2nd gear had not completely engaged into gear, and so pops out when power is applied.

Just be deliberate with your shifting and you should be ok :thumbup:
The same thing was happening to me with the 1st-2nd shift when the car was new and I was getting used to it (and this was my first bimmer).

I also just started being more deliberate with the 1st-2nd shift and it no longer pops out of 2nd.

I'm thinking that shy of a short shifter, I heavier shift knob (like an RK2 or RK3) will help as it'll give a more solid feel to the shift lever. (But gotta get someone to make me a grey leather knob cozy :bigpimp: ).

·
Registered
365 Posts
Lansing said:
Can you tell me if this was a case of a bad shift (maybe not fully in 2nd gear)...
I solved this problem by moving my seat closer to the clutch. When I accidently reset my seat it happened again. Therefore, I think it's driver error and not mechanical.

Try moving your seat forward to the point where you don't have to flex your ankle to have the clutch fully engaged.

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
It's definitely a driver error thing. Happened to me twice... both times the shifter popped out of 2nd and the car made a massive "BOOM!". Scared the piss outta me. :)

I've since caught myself partially engaged in a gear (2nd and 3rd) but remedied it before I got completely off the clutch. There's no damage or anything from it, but I imagine you should try to limit this to maybe one or two incidents a month. :p

(edit: "year" != "gear")

·
600 Posts
The HACK said:
A short shifter seems to either remedy or exacerbate the problem.
LOL! that's the most informative post i've seen this morning. ;)

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
It's happened to me several times on the track when the tranny is exceedingly hot - and it is not driver error (has happened multiple times to multiple drivers, including instructors). A switch to redline fluid will supposedly cure the problem, but I haven't tracked it with the new fluid yet.

It happened one time on the road, too - that was driver error I think.

·
Registered
370 Posts
funny post , caus it just happend to me last week. I was shifting hard from 1st to 2nd as well, felt something wasn't entirely right but was too lazy to re-shit...Bang!! It popped out and rpm went all the way to redline. No more lazy shfits from now on.:)

G

·
Hmmm... I've never heard this euphemism before. And I'm surprised to see so many members here suffering from it.

But ask Bob Dole. There is treatment (and hope).

(Now re-read the responses many of you gave. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: )

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
TD said:
Hmmm... I've never heard this euphemism before.
Obviously it's because you are elite and never messed up a shift. :p

G

·
webguy330i said:

Obviously it's because you are elite and never messed up a shift. :p
(Whoosh)

Um, I was making an impotence joke. I figured the Bob Dole reference would give it away.

And, yeah, my E46 popped out of second a few times during aggressive accelleration.

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
TD said:

(Whoosh)

Um, I was making an impotence joke. I figured the Bob Dole reference would give it away.

And, yeah, my E46 popped out of second a few times during aggressive accelleration.
Uh, no, I was simply making a joke about your custom user text.

(Whoosh!)

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
TD said:
Hmmm... I've never heard this euphemism before. And I'm surprised to see so many members here suffering from it.

But ask Bob Dole. There is treatment (and hope).

(Now re-read the responses many of you gave. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: )
Hmmmm... nice stretch, armstrong. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts