BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to know how everyone feels about their E46. Especially those of us who have had problems with Window Regulators, Clutch issues, electrical problems, etc....

Do we still love our cars?

I'm on the fence. Still leaning towards the love affair.

·
10,856 Posts
I'm still mad that I couldn't get either a 330xdT or 330xiT. Aside from that, I'm quite happy. :)

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
mine has a service record that is probably an inch and a half thick by now. I still like the car very much and intend to keep it a long time but the fun factor has been offset by another car which shall remain nameless.

I had mine 2 months when it had a wacky electrical problem (various seemingly unrelated items worked odly or not at all). the dealership monkey ended up replacing the a/c compressor before he replaced the correct part which was apparently the aux. fan and the slip joint in the steering wheel. hopefully they didn't install a remanufactured a/c compressor. I believe that it would have a shorter life span and might fail sooner than the original one would have.

spaking of dealership monkeys.... I've fixed various problems on my nameless car that I could say were introduced by various monkeys along the way. they didn't fail "naturally."

I'd bet that my two other nameless cars combined have fewer problems over the time that I own them than the bimmer. good thing I'm technically savvy and can fix things myself and know enough to tell when another tech did something wrong.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
That's the scary part! All these issues and the love for the car is unchanged.

I've come to accept that there are problems I can live with (skipping CD's, mysterious HVAC issues, etc...) and those that I can't (performance issues such as steering, acceleration, braking, and shifting). The latter are the ones that hurt the ego the most.
It is also these issues that I fight to get fixed to perfection, because they are the reason that I bought the car in the first place.

Glad I didn't have this car in medical school...I would never have studied!

·
Registered
73 Posts
We've only had our 325ci for a month or so. It has about 8 k miles on it. We love it. I feel we've lucked out in a way because the sticky accelerator, which bothers me, is going to be replaced shortly with a new design. I've read that it's been a long wait (and struggle) for some.

Geez, I didn't know these cars had window regulator problems! I hope not like VW has had!

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
nate328Ci said:

Thats not that many miles, considering that you have had 4 BMWs. E36 325, E46 323Ci, 325i, M3. :bigpimp:
You HAD to tell, didn't ya? :tsk: :D

At least I can, er, "spin"? :bigpimp: Well, I try...

Edit:

Plus, I lied... I did have to replace a dead battery on my 325i...

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
I go back and forth. My car has had a number of small problems that I probably wouldn't even notice or bother getting fixed if I was driving another car. But I have higher expectations of this car, and fight to get everything working properly. Things that really ruin the experience for me are rattles, squeaks, distant whiney whistling noise on highway and steering. Compared with problems that others have had, my problems barely register on the "problem" scale--i'm just very picky. But, if I have my car on some twisty roads, I forget all of this and start to "love" it. When I'm crusing on the highway, I start to notice everything that pisses me off. Unfortunately, I spend 70% of my time driving the car on highways.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
ALEX325i said:

You HAD to tell, didn't ya? :tsk: :D

At least I can, er, "spin"? :bigpimp: Well, I try...

Edit:

Plus, I lied... I did have to replace a dead battery on my 325i...
Must be all those exotic Brazilian vacations that are keeping the miles down :p

:lmao: :lmao:

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
nate328Ci said:

Must be all those exotic Brazilian vacations that are keeping the miles down :p

:lmao: :lmao:
I'm spending a few days down there in the week of 07/15... :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Overall, I continue to obssessed with my 325ci. I have had a few problems, mostly with tires, the clutch, and a various other odd things. A buzz has cropped up in the passenger door, but that I think will be an easy fix. And, unfortunately, the clutch shudder has returned. If there is one thing that seriously dissapoints me about this car, it's the clutch. It's just plain lousy.

Is the car everything that I expected?? Yes - and no. I sometimes find myself having fond memories of my VW GTI VR6 (gasp!). While a Volkswagen, the GTI had some serious fun factor. By comparison, it was crude and unrefined, but in a bizarre way, that was part of its charm. Performance wise, the VR6 is the 325's equal, in terms of power and acceleration off the line and mid range. Top end is another story, as I've found the Bimmer can travel beyond 100mph with much more ease - and confidence. Where the BMW really shines is in the handling department. The handling just blows the VW away.

Then again, the VW costs $12,000 less. Is the BMW worth the price? I'm honestly not sure. The constant problems and service visits worry me. Initially, the VW had one major problem, but after that was fixed, it was completely problem free - and I beat on that car relentlessly. I've easily put more time, money and energy keeping this car than all my others combined, and I haven't owned it a year.

Are these cars over rated and over priced? I think so, because there is a growing number of cars that are closing - and even surpassing - the gap on BMW in terms of performance, quality and value. I've read reports by some that Audi may bump BMW off the #1 spot for performance luxury cars. Then there's Lexus and Infiniti close behind.

Does all this mean I dislike my BMW - absolutely not! My BMW is a terrific car, and has a feel like no other I've driven. And it is a true "drivers machine" and I expect to keep it for many years to come....until I jump in my Old Mans MB E430. Now THAT car is the benchmark! :D

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
ALEX325i said:

I'm spending a few days down there in the week of 07/15... :thumbup:
Maybe doing a little house shopping:dunno: :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
I am happy with my 330i. To tell you the truth, I kind of mellowed out from when I first bought it. It's about a year old now and I have had a few issues to resolve. Nothing major. I just get rattles inthe doors and dash. The steering is not totally centered but eveything else seems to be fine. When I first got this thing, I was very anal about having it "perfect." It took me a year to loosen up and live with these things. I enjoy the car as a whole now. I like it better this way because I can enjoy the car more than when I first got it as I am more relaxed. -Cliff

p.s. i forgot to mention that i do have a bad case of sticky accelerator. I will get it fixed eventually but I don't sweat it now. This car is too sexy to pick at everything.

·
Registered
738 Posts
bmwsfca said:
Need to know how everyone feels about their E46. Especially those of us who have had problems with Window Regulators, Clutch issues, electrical problems, etc....

Do we still love our cars?

I'm on the fence. Still leaning towards the love affair.
I had a 1999 that technically was a lemon (in 6 or 7 times for SRS issues, and in the process of being taken apart, everything else started to go...) It was a nightmare...

So what did I do? I bought a 2000. That one has been great, except for all the normal problems (control arms, window regulators, horrible AM reception, warped rotors, etc.)

Yet, despite all the issues, I am picking up my 2002 325i at some point this month.

The way I look at it, some cars are trouble-free; however, those cars are also boring as hell. I refuse to have a car that gives me a headache every time I think about it, but I don't think that just because I buy a new BMW that it should be flawless. I know that BMW isn't the best with quality, that is why these cars have a warranty.

In summary, I believe it is obvious that I am happy or I would have abandoned ship way back in 1999.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: Everybody happy even w/ problems?

DrBimmer said:

I had a 1999 that technically was a lemon (in 6 or 7 times for SRS issues, and in the process of being taken apart, everything else started to go...) It was a nightmare...

So what did I do? I bought a 2000. That one has been great, except for all the normal problems (control arms, window regulators, horrible AM reception, warped rotors, etc.)

Yet, despite all the issues, I am picking up my 2002 325i at some point this month.

The way I look at it, some cars are trouble-free; however, those cars are also boring as hell. I refuse to have a car that gives me a headache every time I think about it, but I don't think that just because I buy a new BMW that it should be flawless. I know that BMW isn't the best with quality, that is why these cars have a warranty.

In summary, I believe it is obvious that I am happy or I would have abandoned ship way back in 1999.
May I ask why you are trading in the 323 for the 325? Is it coming off lease? or just trading to a better car? :dunno:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.