BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from ED of my 335xi sedan. Thought I'd post some pictures for those who don't visit the ED threads. It's Sparkling Graphite, Terra/Aluminum, Sport, 18" wheels, Nav, Ipod,Cold Weather, Steptronic w/paddles. The M-Aero package was not installed yet in these pics. It gets installed at the port when it arrives in the US. Pretty cool I think because it will look so much different when I take redelivery, it will be like picking up another new car. Plus any marks it may have acquired on the Autobahn will be gone with the old bumper!:thumbup:

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went back and forth on that decision for a while. There's a whole thread dedicated to it that I started before the car was built. I am 150% satisfied! Pictures really don't even do it justice. For some reason it looks a bit "orangey" in pictures. In real life it is a little darker and very rich looking. And the aluminum gives it great contrast, especially from the driver's seat.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Very Sharp!!

·
BigTime Defender
337 Posts
The fact you were able to go 150 m.p.h. on the Autobahn makes me really want to do ED for my next BMW :)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Ed

The fact you were able to go 150 m.p.h. on the Autobahn makes me really want to do ED for my next BMW :)
Yes, ED was amazing! We had a great time. I was surprised to see you get up to 150 mph, though. Our 335xi coupe appeared to hit a speed limiter at 135mph. I wonder if you have a different tire/suspension package which results in a higher speed limiter setting.

The rest of the ED pics are here: http://home.comcast.net/~jrdailey/germany/germany.html

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
I went back and forth on that decision for a while. There's a whole thread dedicated to it that I started before the car was built. I am 150% satisfied! Pictures really don't even do it justice. For some reason it looks a bit "orangey" in pictures. In real life it is a little darker and very rich looking. And the aluminum gives it great contrast, especially from the driver's seat.
Terra rocks!

However, it doesn't photograph well. Here is my most accurate pic of my interior.

Attachments

·
Ready to roll!
84 Posts
Any oil overheating issues

Just returned from ED of my 335xi sedan. Thought I'd post some pictures for those who don't visit the ED threads. It's Sparkling Graphite, Terra/Aluminum, Sport, 18" wheels, Nav, Ipod,Cold Weather, Steptronic w/paddles. The M-Aero package was not installed yet in these pics. It gets installed at the port when it arrives in the US. Pretty cool I think because it will look so much different when I take redelivery, it will be like picking up another new car. Plus any marks it may have acquired on the Autobahn will be gone with the old bumper!:thumbup:

Beautiful car! We are doing ED next month on a sparkling graphite coupe (335). Nice shot of the speedo at 150. It appears the oil temp at that moment in under 250. Did you notice any issues with sustained higher temperatures? Also, was a hair under 6K rpm's acceptable to the recommended engine break-in schedule?

Again, sweet car, and nice photos. congrats!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Yes, ED was amazing! We had a great time. I was surprised to see you get up to 150 mph, though. Our 335xi coupe appeared to hit a speed limiter at 135mph. I wonder if you have a different tire/suspension package which results in a higher speed limiter setting.
On the xi, you have to order both ZSP and 18" wheels to get the 150 mph speed limiter, like 767jetz's car.

Beautiful car! We are doing ED next month on a sparkling graphite coupe (335). Nice shot of the speedo at 150. It appears the oil temp at that moment in under 250. Did you notice any issues with sustained higher temperatures? Also, was a hair under 6K rpm's acceptable to the recommended engine break-in schedule?

Again, sweet car, and nice photos. congrats!
I hit 150 mph on my ED a couple times (see avatar :D) and oil temp was never an issue. As a matter of fact, the temp actually dropped the faster I went. I cruised around 120-130 mph, varying my speed and trying to keep the revs under 4.5k. I'm sure a few stints to 6k even during break-in will not harm the engine in any way. Plus, you're in Germany... you HAVE to find an unlimited stretch of autobahn and hit it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's good you landed where you did -- looks great.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Only once and for a short spurt, just long enough for my wife to snap the picture. We did cruise for some distance at speeds ranging from 100 to 130.

A word of caution, going 150, even on the Autobahn leaves little room for error as you are covering 2.5 miles every minute, 220 feet (over 2 thirds of a football field) every second. You must find an OPEN stretch of Autobahn to do it safely. Most of the time you will come up on slower clusters of cars doing 85-90 and passing them at over 60mph of closure is deadly. I know this first hand because last Sunday, the day before I took the "150" photo, we witnessed a fatal accident on the Autobahn at over 130mph, literally right before our eyes. I actually was dodging car parts and the accident vehicle was still flipping over as we passed it. It was THAT close!

The cause was not the speed itself but simply the driver driving too fast for traffic conditions. We saw the cluster of slower cars in the distance and backed off the speed. He did not. We lived to write about it. He (and unfortunately his 3 passengers) did not. Details to follow when I have more time...

·
VIII
8,087 Posts
Only once and for a short spurt, just long enough for my wife to snap the picture. We did cruise for some distance at speeds ranging from 100 to 130.

A word of caution, going 150, even on the Autobahn leaves little room for error as you are covering 2.5 miles every minute, 220 feet (over 2 thirds of a football field) every second. You must find an OPEN stretch of Autobahn to do it safely. Most of the time you will come up on slower clusters of cars doing 85-90 and passing them at over 60mph of closure is deadly. I know this first hand because last Sunday, the day before I took the "150" photo, we witnessed a fatal accident on the Autobahn at over 130mph, literally right before our eyes. I actually was dodging car parts and the accident vehicle was still flipping over as we passed it. It was THAT close!

The cause was not the speed itself but simply the driver driving too fast for traffic conditions. We saw the cluster of slower cars in the distance and backed off the speed. He did not. We lived to write about it. He (and unfortunately his 3 passengers) did not. Details to follow when I have more time...
I was just about to say that, I don't think I would do 150 mph in a non ///M car and even then it's still dangerous. Congrats, though. It looks like you had a great experience. I've already been to Europe but when my kids get older I'm going to take just the Missus and I on an ED trip but with a 911. :thumbs:

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes. Sport suspension on the xi sedan comes with 17inch wheels and all season tires with a lower speed rating (and I'm not sure about the oil cooler.) 18inch option with staggered rims, summer performance tires with a higher speed rating ensures the higher top speed limiter of 155. I made sure of this before ordering. I think it also ensured the oil cooler, which we definitely have.

It appears the oil temp at that moment in under 250. Did you notice any issues with sustained higher temperatures?
The oil temp was about 230 at the time. Outside it was about 70 degrees. With all that airflow over the oil cooler, temperature was not an issue. Even at sustained speeds of around 100mph I never saw over 230 degrees. One time while tooling around Ulm after getting off the highway I saw it hit 240. But most of our trip it was in the 220-230 range, even in the winding mountain roads south of Zugspitze at higher altitudes.

Also, was a hair under 6K rpm's acceptable to the recommended engine break-in schedule?
Not really acceptable. But what the heck.:D Once in a lifetime opportunity. Besides, the biggest break in issue is to vary the speed, and we made sure to do that throughout the trip. We combined Autobahn spurts with plenty of mountain and back road driving, and some city stop and go. Plus we avoided full throttle acceleration, even on the push to 150 mph. Didn't even have it floored. It felt like it would have easily pulled to 165.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was just about to say that, I don't think I would do 150 mph in a non ///M car and even then it's still dangerous. Congrats, though. It looks like you had a great experience. I've already been to Europe but when my kids get older I'm going to take just the Missus and I on an ED trip but with a 911. :thumbs:
That sounds like fun! I definitely want a Porsche in the garage one day. Just not an option right now with small kids. But eventually I can see myself doing an ED with Porsche.

As for doing 150 in the 335xi, I will say that high speed cruising was VERY comfortable. I could do 120 all day long without a bit of fatigue. At 120-135 it is also very comfortable but you must be alert for the other drivers. At 150 you really need an open road with very few cars, M car, non M, Porsche, whatever. What I'm getting at is that the speed never bothered me and the car itself was stable and planted. It's the other drivers. Even with their good lane discipline, when you are approaching a car at over 60mph of closure, you are betting your life on his judgment of time and distance not to pull out to pass. Any quick maneuver at that speed can be disastrous.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
As for doing 150 in the 335xi, I will say that high speed cruising was VERY comfortable. I could do 120 all day long without a bit of fatigue. At 120-135 it is also very comfortable but you must be alert for the other drivers. At 150 you really need an open road with very few cars, M car, non M, Porsche, whatever. What I'm getting at is that the speed never bothered me and the car itself was stable and planted.
+1. 120-130 mph was no sweat in my 335i with ZSP. Cabin was hushed and the feeling of being planted to the road was fantastic. With no other cars around 125 mph honestly felt like 80 after awhile. Above 130 the wind noise begins to pick up dramatically and the rate that you whip by other cars (and tour buses, yow!) definitely keeps you on your toes, but the car just feels so connected and stable. I can't imagine an ///M car really being any better, as all BMWs are designed for autobahn travel. The brakes on the 335i are also simply eye-poppingly effective at those speeds.

One thing with the German autobahns is that they don't give you an unlimited speed limit unless you're in a rural area with little traffic. As soon as there is any congestion or interchanges the speed limits come back into effect. Lane discipline is extremely good so I felt quite comfortable driving at high speeds.

·
VIII
8,087 Posts
I can't imagine an ///M car really being any better, as all BMWs are designed for autobahn travel.
True but the ///M cars really are designed more for high speed. No doubt at that extreme they would be safer however it's still dangerous, like 767 said, at anytime some dolt can just pull out in front of you and then it doesn't matter. One thing I can tell you is that if I had to choose between doing 150 mph in an E92 M3 or 335i, I wouldn't hesitate to say I'd feel safer in the M3.

·
VIII
8,087 Posts
That sounds like fun! I definitely want a Porsche in the garage one day. Just not an option right now with small kids. But eventually I can see myself doing an ED with Porsche.
Let's start planning it, I have small kids too. I'd say 40K properly invested now would pay for a good portion of our trip by then. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts