Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read through all the threads and posts on the Evo 6 Speed Conversions that I could find.

Seems like they are a mixed blessing.

Uncertain mileage, possibly coming out of race cars, difficult gear engagement, difficult to repair, no parts etc.....

Its been awhile since anyone commented on life with a euro 6 speed conversion...

Maybe some can share.....

Would you do it again?
Pro and Cons?
Total Cost?
Best practices ?
Tips on how to go about?

Thanks

·
The Anti-Rice
5,391 Posts
Would you do it again?

Absolutely. It just feels right. I was always trying to shift to 6th with the 5 speed on the coupe and the previous M3.

Pro and Cons?

Pros: Not afraid to change final drive diff. Its a mental thing. Also improved fuel economy. Cons: Pain in the ass to do.

Total Cost?

About $3000 when all is said and done. Some people have imported them from ebay sellers etc, but with mixed results. You can find them cheaper, but I wouldnt buy anything without some kind of warranty.

Best practices ?

Honestly, save your money and get headers or something. "It just feels right with the 3.73" I absolutely love it, and I would do it again, but there is absolutely no justification for it.

Tips on how to go about?

Get all the hard stuff done ahead of time. I have a driveshaft that I will sell you for a core charge of $300 bucks or whatever I have said in previous posts. I will refund you the bulk of your money less shipping when I receive your stock driveshaft. You pay all shipping charges and I want the stock linkage from your car. You can buy a full shift kit now from just about everyone. Even Ron hints that he can do a better job than everyone else, and he is just about anal enough to do just that. So check with him too.

I would also just go ahead and get the 3.73. I paid $250 for mine delivered, and then spent another 700 or so having it fully rebuilt. I would do it all at one go. Hell, do the subframe bushings too. (Make sure you break the half shafts free BEFORE you take off the driveshaft. And exhaust if you havent done that yet.

If your paying someone to do it, its exactly the same as a clutch job. So ask about that and only that. Dont tell them about the tranny, because they will pad the quote for no reason.

Replace your clutch, if it needs it or not, you will kick yourself if you dont.

·
Hero to Z3ro
126 Posts
If I had to do it over again (Which I will, since mine was garbage)... I would get the E46 330i tranny (brownie points for ZF) instead - requires E46 flywheel + clutch, as well as the cut driveshaft and custom worked linkage, but you can probably pick up a virtually brand new one for almost the same price when all is said and done (plus the flywheel + clutch).

No regrets, just wish it had worked the 1st time.

·
The Anti-Rice
5,391 Posts
Bah humbug!

If your going that route, get the E46 M3 transmission. The one fromt he Z4/330 is not designed to handle 300 hp.

So thats a risk if you ask me. And if your buying clutch and flywheel, then you might as well step up to the much larger E46 M3 setup.

·
Hero to Z3ro
126 Posts
Isn't the E46 M3 tranny just a reworked S4S Getrag? Was under the impression it was, if not, then yes - that's what I would get. Don't have 3 grand right now to blow on it, so haven't done all the research in the world yet.

·
The Anti-Rice
5,391 Posts
Its basically the same tranny as the one you already bought, but it has a larger input shaft that requires a different flywheel and clutch. Its been beefed up a little though.

·
The Anti-Rice
5,391 Posts
Its S6S is also in the M5/540, and just about everything else with power.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Mpire said:
Honestly, save your money and get headers or something. "It just feels right with the 3.73" I absolutely love it, and I would do it again, but there is absolutely no justification for it..
I have the TS installed so I think the 3.73 would be too short.

[/QUOTE]Get all the hard stuff done ahead of time. I have a driveshaft that I will sell you for a core charge of $300 bucks or whatever I have said in previous posts. .[/QUOTE]
I'll get abck to you on this as I get things more sorted out

[/QUOTE]Even Ron hints that he can do a better job than everyone else, and he is just about anal enough to do just that..[/QUOTE]. My allegiance is with Ben and Mark so I will have to go Rogue Engineering on this

[/QUOTE]I would also just go ahead and get the 3.73. I paid $250 for mine delivered and then spent another 700 or so having it fully rebuilt. .[/QUOTE] I will probably stay with 3.23. With the Overdrive 6th gear...I should have great 1 to 4 ratios for the SC and good highway cruising.

[/QUOTE]I would do it all at one go. Hell, do the subframe bushings too. .[/QUOTE] IE Sub Chassis, trailing arm bushing and read camber / toe plate done already. I also have the Randy Forbes kit on the way along with Twin Ear Diff. from Rogue.

[/QUOTE]And exhaust if you havent done that yet..[/QUOTE] SuperSprint installed...but no headers yet or cat by pass

[/QUOTE]Replace your clutch, if it needs it or not, you will kick yourself if you dont[/QUOTE] I already did the Rogue Eng HD pressure Plate, LTW Fly wheel and M5 Clutch...but I guess I will have to replace the clutch to the larger spline....thats reasonable. Better than having to do all three as with Z4 kit.

Thanks for the help..

·
The Anti-Rice
5,391 Posts
Well, I have the RE shifter from Ben. I am very happy with it. Ron thinks its a little off, but thats Ron. I am very pleased with Ben. He acutally took the time to talk to me about the whole ordeal.

And the DS is just sitting here. I bought it for a backup in case my 6 speed blew to hell and I had to put the 5 speed back in temporarily. So I am loaning it out to people so they dont have to wait so long for the DS work to be done.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mpire said:
Well, I have the RE shifter from Ben. I am very happy with it. Ron thinks its a little off, but thats Ron. I am very pleased with Ben. He acutally took the time to talk to me about the whole ordeal.

And the DS is just sitting here. I bought it for a backup in case my 6 speed blew to hell and I had to put the 5 speed back in temporarily. So I am loaning it out to people so they dont have to wait so long for the DS work to be done.

I follow you now on the DS.... that makes sense......very kind of you

You forgot to mention the bloody Guibo...........got to change that ragedy thing as well.

I will probably do upgraded tranny mounts while in there.

It is so easy to add more stuff!

Like my illuminated shift knob from Leater Z...it needs a new plastic insert to say 6 speed.

Never ends!

·
Hero to Z3ro
126 Posts
Mpire said:
Its basically the same tranny as the one you already bought, but it has a larger input shaft that requires a different flywheel and clutch. Its been beefed up a little though.
I'm none too pleased w/ Getrag and BMW's desire to make it impossible to get replacement parts - and the fact that the 5 series, etc has the tranny doesn't make things better - after reading a few 540 owners posts a few months back, apparently their version of the S6S grenades almost without fail after 70k miles.

When I have the cash in hand again, I'll likely decide on the S6S again, but that ZF is mighty tempting - Never had any complaints with any ZF tranny I've ever owned.

·
ex-M couper
1,744 Posts
ShifterKart Guy said:
I read through all the threads and posts on the Evo 6 Speed Conversions that I could find.

Would you do it again?
Sure, as long as I had the money.
Pro and Cons?
It just seems right.
Lower RPMs at highway speeds.
Same performance in the first 5 gears.
Only negative is cost.
Total Cost?
About $3000 all-in-all with new clutch and DS shortening.
Best practices ?
Tips on how to go about?
I had mine done by Taylor Independent BMW service in Pomona, Calif and they were very surprised at how easy it went. They only charged me the usual rate for trans R&R plus the clutch parts. I provided the new short (both meanings) shifter to them.

I had already changed the diff out for a 3.46 unit. That made the coupe much better and easier to drive.

BTW, this is all on a stock S54 coupe (other than the trans and diff).

·
The Anti-Rice
5,391 Posts
ShifterKart Guy said:
I follow you now on the DS.... that makes sense......very kind of you

You forgot to mention the bloody Guibo...........got to change that ragedy thing as well.

I will probably do upgraded tranny mounts while in there.

It is so easy to add more stuff!

Like my illuminated shift knob from Leater Z...it needs a new plastic insert to say 6 speed.

Never ends!
Jon personally installed my 6 speed logo on my shifter. Its so sweet. The 6 lights up brigter than the other numbers. Probably a defect, but I love it!

·
866 Posts
I'm very happy with mine. I love the RPM reduction the 6th gear gives me. I put the Redline lubricant in it and it started shifting wonderfully. I'd do it again.

My 2¢.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I’m pretty much in line with what everyone else has said, but I’ll still add my comments.
<o =""></o>
First off, kudos to Brent for helping with the transaction. There wasn’t a ton of documented evidence to say ‘this will work’, and it was helpful to know exactly what to purchase and what to tweak. The driveshaft core/swap/shipping process was very helpful as well.
<o =""></o>
Pros:
+ obviously, lower RPMs without losing your diff
+ acceptable RPMs still with steeper gears i.e. [3.73]
+ better shifting feel
+ there is a certain cool / uniqueness factor
+ a good chance to replace other driveline related consumables
<o =""></o>
Cons:
- somewhat significant capital investment up front
- if it breaks, it could mean sending it off to MM for repair
- possibly some custom welding for shift linkage to get the placement just right
- I know several guys here are very competent mechanics, but I’d recommend professional install
<o =""></o>
Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. With Ron S.’s Z3 shifter, Redline MTL, and UUC SS know, it really is an awesome system.

·
The Anti-Rice
5,391 Posts
Yes, its is pretty cool isnt it.

But let no one forget, I was the first S54 to do this. Didnt even know if it was possible when I did it. I remember putting it on the ground and wondering if it would work. It was a good feeling.

(Bulldogge has an S52, so don't start!)

·
The Anti-Rice
5,391 Posts
///MDex said:
I’m pretty much in line with what everyone else has said, but I’ll still add my comments.
<o =""></o>
First off, kudos to Brent for helping with the transaction. There wasn’t a ton of documented evidence to say ‘this will work’, and it was helpful to know exactly what to purchase and what to tweak. The driveshaft core/swap/shipping process was very helpful as well.
<o =""></o>
Pros:
+ obviously, lower RPMs without losing your diff
+ acceptable RPMs still with steeper gears i.e. [3.73]
+ better shifting feel
+ there is a certain cool / uniqueness factor
+ a good chance to replace other driveline related consumables
<o =""></o>
Cons:
- somewhat significant capital investment up front
- if it breaks, it could mean sending it off to MM for repair
- possibly some custom welding for shift linkage to get the placement just right
- I know several guys here are very competent mechanics, but I’d recommend professional install
<o =""></o>
Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. With Ron S.’s Z3 shifter, Redline MTL, and UUC SS know, it really is an awesome system.

Wiat, Ron actually has a shifter now?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts