BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on this mod and calling it a day on my 320i. I'm happy with the BMS Stage 1 piggyback but I want an improvement in sound and wouldn't mind less restriction/back pressure and the added HP/TQ gains. It's $500 + install, so not bad. I think this is the missing link/component with the 320 and frankly, any n20 BMW: it's too quiet. With this mod along with what I already have, I feel like my 320 could be the ultimate 'budget' RWD sports sedan. I've already got the M sport suspension, sport seats and steering wheel. The BMS Stage 1 tune adds a nice power bump and I've got the M performance exhaust tip for looks - the car is just too quite for my taste. I guess I'm used to the noise-pipe induced drone of my '10 GTI but this thing is practically Prius quiet.

Here it is:

http://www.evolutionracewerks.com/node/211

So, just looking for thoughts and opinions on this mod. I would pay the extra $ for o2 sensor bung to avoid any CEL etc. If the install is done right I'm not worried about warranty work or whatever. From my experience most techs at dealers like cars that are tastefully modified and if there isn't a problem it's not a problem. There is a shop I'm looking at in Anaheim to do the work but would ultimately find something closer to home.

Anyway, any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated. If I still have the car in 4.75 years when it's SMOG time, I'll worry about CA emissions related issues then. Until then I just want to make the most out of a near-perfect car in my opinion.

If I went with the downpipe, my total cost all in for the car would be:

$32.5k selling price for 2014 320i with sport package and sunroof
$400 for BMS Stage 1 +3 PSI Piggyback
$600 or so for ERW 4" catless DP
-------------

Total: $33.5k

Moral of the story is that there is no way to get a comparable 328i for anywhere near that price. With the mods, it kisses 328i power territory, would have a deeper exhaust note, handle far better than any no line or luxury line 328i etc.

Ultimate sleeper DD build accomplished.

Thoughts, criticisms etc are welcome.
:thumbup:

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
20,052 Posts
Just know this will screw your warranty coverage in a New York minute.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Yup there is a guy here where his ECU fried and the dealer is blaming it on the DP with codes. If you want to create a big hassle for yourself in the event you need to take up on a warranty claim then go for it otherwise it is not a item that can be reversed as easily as your tune is to avoid detection. There is a young guy in our BMW group here and I asked him the same question. He said the chances of the DP causing a problem is rare, but you give the techs so much ammunition that can leave you car-less for some time to get it resolved.

Post a picture of your exhaust tips. I want to see what they look like versus the standard ones.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I knew the voices of reason would chime in and I suppose that is a good thing. CA in so many ways is just a giant drag to live in. High taxes, endless rules and regulations, ridiculous housing prices, overcrowding. I honestly question why we live here much of the time.

All I want is a little more sound, slightly deeper exhaust note. Guess I should have just paid nearly twice as much and got a 335i..... One thing I have read on other threads re: this is the smell of a catless set up and that there is something obnoxious about it. I don't really want to be that guy. Just wish there were a solution for a deeper more pronounced exhaust note. The 328's are just as quiet. It's not just the curse of a turbo 4 cylinder but the exhaust tuning etc. because other turbo 4's sound beefier for sure. I'm sure the downpipe is a great mod until there is a problem. Maybe after my first service at one year I'll see if I can introduce myself to the tech, pick their brains a little. I did this with my GTI - made friends with the service dept. and always went to that same place as well as referring people. They took care of me.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I knew the voices of reason would chime in and I suppose that is a good thing. CA in so many ways is just a giant drag to live in. High taxes, endless rules and regulations, ridiculous housing prices, overcrowding. I honestly question why we live here much of the time.

All I want is a little more sound, slightly deeper exhaust note. Guess I should have just paid nearly twice as much and got a 335i..... One thing I have read on other threads re: this is the smell of a catless set up and that there is something obnoxious about it. I don't really want to be that guy. Just wish there were a solution for a deeper more pronounced exhaust note. The 328's are just as quiet. It's not just the curse of a turbo 4 cylinder but the exhaust tuning etc. because other turbo 4's sound beefier for sure. I'm sure the downpipe is a great mod until there is a problem. Maybe after my first service at one year I'll see if I can introduce myself to the tech, pick their brains a little. I did this with my GTI - made friends with the service dept. and always went to that same place as well as referring people. They took care of me.
Same boat as you actually. I added the Injen intake last week to get more sound. I like it and made the turbo little louder, but I have decided to put it up for sell and go forward with the m sport bumper conversion.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, all the intake will do is make the wastegate dump 'blow off' sound louder. That is already actually pretty audible in this car, which I am happy with. You can hear the turbo pretty well in the car, there is just no growl or rumble. I'm not looking for muscle car exhaust sounds - just something. The F30 is so quiet. It's not like the 328i inline 6 sounded much better unless you were at WOT. Heavy throttle on that six sounded great but day to day, it was nothing to right home about. WOT the n20 engine sort of sounds like a wood chipper or a hair dryer being put through it's paces. It reminds me of when VW did away with the noise pipe in the GTI and went with the 'soundaktor' for their fake in cabin turbo sounds. A lot of guys removed it and then ended up putting it back on because, surprise, a turbo 4 cylinder just doesn't sound like much. On the other hand, the n20 with some basic exhaust mods sounds much better IMO. This is sounding less and less likely, who knows. Gotta look into it more before pulling the trigger. There is the camp that says "go for it" and the others who speak the truth in that it is a potential can of worms.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Post a picture of your exhaust tips. I want to see what they look like versus the standard ones.
Took this one today driving a canyon road by my house. It needs to be cleaned. The one below it is when I first put it on. It borders on 'too much' but I think its a big improvement over that pea shooter it comes with stock. So silly BMW, really? The single exhaust on the C250 in comparison looks very nice IMO.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So, have you not done the M Sport exhaust just in an effort yo save cash?
It's not listed as an option anywhere although there are a lot of guys in other countries that mainly buy the 320 and mod it every which way. I guess anything is possible. The M sport exhaust is a lot though no? That's a bit much but yeah, it's like you might as well go all the way if you are screwing with the downpipe anyway.

This guy did it... Sounds great.

http://youtu.be/mAccBM7vElc

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm impressed you can stop where you did! So, now, are you going to take all that extra muscle out to your local BMW CCA HPDE events, and/or autocross?
I was just looking at the LA BMW CCA website. Sounds pretty cool and you get a rebate when you buy a BMW as well. I have never been to an Auto-X event. I guess I see it as an expensive hobby.. At least brakes are covered with the free maintenance but I'm pretty sure this kind of thing EATS tires, no? I should just pull the trigger though. Sounds like a blast.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
HPDE events are the best experience, to my mind, more so than autocross, and you decide how much to push your tires. It's an amazing experience to drive your car on a track and to see how well BMW's eat up tracks! I've only done a dozen such track days and on a terrific old-style road course, nine turns (one a second gear turn for some), and 400-feet of elevation change per 2.5 mile lap. Most HPDE events include four half-hour sessions, with an instructor/coach next to you. It soon becomes so easy you can do it with your eyes closed!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nordique/130546255/

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That sounds cool. Just another thing to add to the 'to do' list. Free time is a valuable commodity these days with a 1 year old and essentially 2 jobs...

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Just one vacation day you will never forget and savor always! Mind you, I've no idea what the road course tracks are like in your area. Track days are often now on weekdays, since weekend track rentals are more expensive. Once you do one, it's easy to do a couple a year....

·
Registered
250 Posts

All I want is a little more sound, slightly deeper exhaust note.
Soooo... Did you do the down pipe?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Am I the only one?

Am I the only one that thinks this is socially irresponsible?

Cats are in there for a very good reason; having clean air to breath. Yes, if only a few people do it there isn't much of a problem. However, it's one of those things when everyone starts doing it, the quality of life really takes a hit (e.g. litter). I can immediately notice when someone has messed with their cats in my convertible. Inside your car, you might not notice, but to everyone else it's obnoxious.

The cities already have terrible air quality (go out to the wilderness for a few days and come back, it's immediately noticeable), please don't add to it unless it's a track only car.

That said, the DP gives you a louder sound but doesn't do much for performance until you open up the entire intake and exhaust side, then add at least a stage 2 tune.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.