BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Abuser of everything
Audi S5 SB 2019
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the car with the shortest turning radius I ever owned. Very convenient.

I wondered if there are FWD cars out there with the same turning radius.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have an E46 and my wife has a MINI. The MINI has a poor turning radius compared with the (awesome) E46. I think things just got too crowded under the hood for the MINI, I've had FWD Hondas which are much better.

But no question, the E46 owns all, the radius is fantastic! :thumbup:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Living in Florida (no snow) and being that soon all cars will have stability control, I'll probably never own an AWD or FWD car if I can help it.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
My Datsun 510 RWD with unassisted turning was THE best I had, though because it had no assist, it must have been at least 4 turns LtL.

The London taxi is well-known for its tight turning circle, and I assume these days those are FWD.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Not with a "6", but some of the 4 cylinder ones. My V6 Eclipse was about 42'. You learn not to u-turn if you can help it.

Other nice thing about RWD...if you want to turn even tighter, just switch off DSC and boot it. :)

Saintor said:
This is the car with the shortest turning radius I ever owned. Very convenient.

I wondered if there are FWD cars out there with the same turning radius.

·
AWD? In California?
133 Posts
On AWD and FWD cars, you have half-shafts going to the front wheels to drive them through CV joints. I would theorize that the CV joints have a limited angle they can still reliably transmit power at, and so the maximum steering angle of FWD and AWD cars is limited by such. Note that the AWD E46 also has a slightly larger turning radius than the RWD E46.

·
Registered
86 Posts
AWD is tight

My 325 XI is tight when it comes to turning.

So I am not sure if it is equal to the 325 I; but I know it still beats others.

·
Registered
793 Posts
IMHO, the tight turning radius is a BMW trait. I've owned and driven many FWD/RWD/AWD street and race cars over my 34 years of driving and BMW tighest turning radius of ever driven.

Regards....JL

·
Abuser of everything
Audi S5 SB 2019
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually according to Edmunds, the IS300 has a shorter turning radius. So do the Prius and Echo, front-drivers.

·
Registered
766 Posts
That was what I understood as to why the "new" V6 installation in the Eclipse killed the turning radius.

Karl said:
On AWD and FWD cars, you have half-shafts going to the front wheels to drive them through CV joints. I would theorize that the CV joints have a limited angle they can still reliably transmit power at, and so the maximum steering angle of FWD and AWD cars is limited by such. Note that the AWD E46 also has a slightly larger turning radius than the RWD E46.

·
mmm... carbs!
3,055 Posts
You all don't think it has anything to do with the fact that FWD cars have transverse mount engines, limiting the space in which the wheels can physically turn freely?

·
Registered
212 Posts
xspeedy said:
You all don't think it has anything to do with the fact that FWD cars have transverse mount engines, limiting the space in which the wheels can physically turn freely?
I've always assumed it was a space issue. The wheel wouldn't have enough room to keep turning. But then I don't know sh1t. :)

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
There are many factors that contribute to the turning radius. You cannot generalize based on the drivetrain layout, except in the broadest sense.

My 98 A4 has a very similar turning radius as my 03 330, for example. My 95 Jetta VR6 was very similar as well. I think it's a European thing where tight roads and even tighter traffic mandate a good turning radius.

I have observed that in general, Japanese cars are the worst in the US, followed by US cars.

adc
03 330 ZHP

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
My CRX turned in a much tighter radius than my E46. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
MINI Cooper turning radius: 34.8 ft.
E46 330i turning radius: 34.4 ft.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
norihaga said:
Other nice thing about RWD...if you want to turn even tighter, just switch off DSC and boot it. :)
But turning DSC off will cause the end of the Western Civilization, and the car will self destruct. :yikes: :p

DSC sucks. :thumbdwn:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts