BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Pure Natural BMW Muscle!
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed excessive vaccum and some oil consumption on my car.
It is very difficult to remove the dipstick, even lets say I checked the oil two days ago, it is very difficult to remove it.
Is there a possibility that the CCV is stuck open, causing all that vacuum inside the engine?

My oil consumption has also increased.

Any ideas?

·
In my own cars again
1,402 Posts
The dipstick tends to get real tight in there - mine's ridiculously hard to remove, I always fear of breaking the handle off. I did once break the handle on the dipstick for my 525Touring. Oops.

What I'm saying is that you shouldn't let the resistance to removal of the dipstick be an indicator of how much crankcase vacuum you've got. If you need to test crankcase vacuum levels, do it in a more conventional way, with a gauge attached to a line, while the engine is running.

How much oil is being consumed? If oil consumption is increased to unacceptable levels, you *should* start looking for where it's going. Check on the state of your spark plugs - are they oil fouled? Any new leaks - they might start slow? Maybe just run a slightly heavier oil for the higher summer temps - move to a 5W40? But start simple.... CCV's do eventually fail, but it's not an easy or cheap job, therefore it shouldn't be your first thought when you see a small uptick in oil consumption.

(A large uptick in consumption is a different story entirely :) )

·
Pure Natural BMW Muscle!
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dipstick tends to get real tight in there - mine's ridiculously hard to remove, I always fear of breaking the handle off. I did once break the handle on the dipstick for my 525Touring. Oops.

What I'm saying is that you shouldn't let the resistance to removal of the dipstick be an indicator of how much crankcase vacuum you've got. If you need to test crankcase vacuum levels, do it in a more conventional way, with a gauge attached to a line, while the engine is running.

How much oil is being consumed? If oil consumption is increased to unacceptable levels, you *should* start looking for where it's going. Check on the state of your spark plugs - are they oil fouled? Any new leaks - they might start slow? Maybe just run a slightly heavier oil for the higher summer temps - move to a 5W40? But start simple.... CCV's do eventually fail, but it's not an easy or cheap job, therefore it shouldn't be your first thought when you see a small uptick in oil consumption.

(A large uptick in consumption is a different story entirely :) )
Consumption is hapenning mostly after highway trips, ie after 100 miles of highway travelling, I see the dipstick level go abit down.
Having said that, oil light never lit, mainly because I check the oil regularly and add when its needed.
Overall, I get maybe 0,5l every 1000km (600miles), which is alot.
Spark plugs are not oily, but I tailpipes tend to get some burnt oil fairly fast.

:dunno:

·
Coyote Racing Team
628 Posts
Nope, nothing.
Forgot to add, I used to get some burnt oil smell through the air vents some time ago (2years ago)when the oil consumption started, then all gone, but oil consumption stayed!.
That usually indicates a leaking valve cover gasket. Might want to check that - especially around the back corner (near the firewall) where it might not be that easy to see.

·
In my own cars again
1,402 Posts
That does sound like a lot of oil passing somewhere. As others note, the prior smells would point to a gasket issue, though you say those smells stopped?

At that level of use, the CCV could be the path of oil loss. BMW says a liter of oil every 1000 miles is 'acceptable' consumption, though I would disagree strongly. That much oil coming out of a gasket should be easy to see or smell if it's on the outside of the motor.....

·
Registered
268 Posts
my dipstick is always hard to remove the first time.

regarding the VCG: take the plastic cover off so you can see the ignition coils. When my VCG failed little pools of oil had formed around the coils.

My CVV was leaking and I didn't notice any consumption, but they can fail in a way that leads to the oil being pushed into the intake manifold, worst case even hydrolocking the engine when it freezes in winter and all the oil is pumped into the intake.
How many miles do you have on your car? IMO the CVV is part of the preventive maintenance schedule as they will fail at some point of time. I did my CVV on the weekend and it was not too hard. If you follow the excellent DIYs on here you can do that as well. You don't need a lot of mechanical skills, just patience as some things are hard to remove/get to/install, more of a time consuming job.

·
Pure Natural BMW Muscle!
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just some comments:
- I had bmw dealer change my oil at 43000km (2nd of February-winter) and most probably used 5W30 LL04 Castrol.
- No consumption up until 44500km (end of April)
- I then noticed the dipstick a little below maximum and added some mobil1. Then the consumption when up.
Seems as if the oil gets consumed more when the weather is hot, and my engine does not like mobil1, but that is what I had in storage, so I though might as well.
So from 44500 up to 46200 when I am now, it consumed maybe 0,5l of mobil1, but that is just small top ups from weekend to weekend, when I check the oil.
Maybe I should stick with oem oil for topups, , other than mobil1, seems as if it is evaporating or something.

·
In my own cars again
1,402 Posts
Just some comments:
- I had bmw dealer change my oil at 43000km (2nd of February-winter) and most probably used 5W30 LL04 Castrol.
- No consumption up until 44500km (end of April)
- I then noticed the dipstick a little below maximum and added some mobil1. Then the consumption when up.
Seems as if the oil gets consumed more when the weather is hot, and my engine does not like mobil1, but that is what I had in storage, so I though might as well.
So from 44500 up to 46200 when I am now, it consumed maybe 0,5l of mobil1, but that is just small top ups from weekend to weekend, when I check the oil.
Maybe I should stick with oem oil for topups, , other than mobil1, seems as if it is evaporating or something.
If you added some M1 on top of the rest of the oil, it's mixed in there well and it's not just that the M1 is magically evaporating. After all, the car was using some oil before you put the M1 in there, that's why you had to top it off. The M1 you put in there may not have BMW's LL01/LL04 blessing, but it's a good, high-quality oil.

A quick change in consumption, and the level of consumption you are now seeing, does point to a problem - gasket, CCV, something NOT insignificant.

·
Pure Natural BMW Muscle!
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you added some M1 on top of the rest of the oil, it's mixed in there well and it's not just that the M1 is magically evaporating. After all, the car was using some oil before you put the M1 in there, that's why you had to top it off. The M1 you put in there may not have BMW's LL01/LL04 blessing, but it's a good, high-quality oil.

A quick change in consumption, and the level of consumption you are now seeing, does point to a problem - gasket, CCV, something NOT insignificant.
Mobil1 is LL01 approved. I used M1 0W40 LL01.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.