BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I JUST purchased a '99 BMW 328i with 100,000 miles from a private dealer and after having the car for just 4 days all of a sudden tonite I noticed smoke coming out of my exhaust (mostly whenever I was stopped) and the check engine light came on. I was wondering if anyone here has any clue what could be the problem. Unfortunatly since tomorrow is Sun and Mon is Memorial Day, I wount be able to take it to my mechanic till Tues, so I'd appreciate any info on how serious this might be and how expensive it would be to get it fixed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

~C

·
Retired Slacker
6,711 Posts
Was there a lot of white smoke or just trace amounts? Could be a blown head gasket, bad news. I'd wait till Tues. to have a mechanic check that. Keep us posted. :dunno:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It wasn't a lot of smoke, but it def. wasn't oil, it was water coming out. So, I take it the head gasket is expensive? ....got a ballpark figure?

Thanks.

·
Retired Slacker
6,711 Posts
I'd find a good independant repair shop. Have them run diagnostics...see what happens. Head gasket replacement runs 1200.00+. But see what they say first. If you're a AAA member they have diagnostic tools and will give you an honest appraisal. :yikes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just purchased a 1996 328i with 93K, and a week after passing a smog check the same thing happened to me. Went to an independent Bmw shop, they checked the codes ( that part alone cost $140.00), discovered a bad sensor, replaced it and the problem is resolved. I don't know if you have the same problem, but don't jump to any conclusions. Total bill at this very expensive shop was under $400.00. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, I took it to a private shop (a friend of a friend is the mechanic there) and he ran some tests (cost about $100) and he discovered that there was a very big leak in the evap system but he said it wasn't anything that would do harm to the car if it wasn't fixed, it would just not pass the inspection, unless it was fixed. He also told me to expect the check engine light to turn on every now and then, unless I did get the leak fixed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts