BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a bit of sag in one side of my exhaust, and while I've glanced under the car, I haven't sorted out how to adjust the height. What am I missing?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The right side is lower, maybe a full inch lower than the left, which looks properly aligned with the cutout. Stock exhaust, maybe the subframe has dropped!:eek:

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
Try this. There is an adjustment nut about 36 inches in from the end of the exhaust. Shown in Randy's pic below, forward of the diff fins, for the gold-colored hangers. You can adjust the hanger location there, it controls up and down position of the whole muffler.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
RedBread said:
I've got a bit of sag in one side of my exhaust, and while I've glanced under the car, I haven't sorted out how to adjust the height. What am I missing?
My guess is your rear rubber mounts are shot.
Red Jen had the same issue on her '99 on the passenger side.
Rubber mount 18 21 1 704 198 $19.70 retail (4)
Rubber ring 18 21 1 105 638 $3.15 retail (2)
Rubber rings are where Jon mentioned the adjustment.

·
Captainkirk
48 Posts
I just noticed the trailer hitch.
I never considered that as an option.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks all! I noticed the hitch too, I just prefer the easier roof rack for bikes and tyres/wheels. Of course Randy's cursed with convertibles :D , so the hitch rack makes perfect sense.

edit - I guess it's a small world indeed, the stock exhaust is actually Randy's old set. I had the pleasure of being rear ended and needing new exhaust, so I have new hangers, just goofy alignment. Also edited the link to pandering land-o-t i r e s out...

Ben

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
JonM said:
Try this. There is an adjustment nut about 36 inches in from the end of the exhaust. Shown in Randy's pic below, forward of the diff fins, for the gold-colored hangers. You can adjust the hanger location there, it controls up and down position of the whole muffler.

Rare picture; the SS exhaust was only on for about a year (Eisenmann put on around 10/02), the tail-hook was only mounted for about one twelfth (1/12) of that and the trailer hitch has been in the basement since prior to the BMW area rep inspecting the differential mount damage. Yes, I wanted to avoid answering the "what's the hitch for" question; uh, to haul racingtires...

Edit: just realized that the car still has OEM shocks, so that picture was taken prior to January 02.

·
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!
157 Posts
I'm having a similar problem with the remus exhaust. The driver side hangs low and the passenger side looks crooked. I tried adjusting it by having a tranny jack hold it up in place while I bolted it to the mid-pipe, but it only helped a little.

I suppose the rubber mounts are worn. Has anyone modified the tabs or mounts so that they can have some adjustability?

·
BMW Fan
540 Posts
If this is a stock exhaust...you may have a failed muffler hook...get under there and look.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts