BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
I have a 2005 330i ZHP. I know about the Dinan exhaust option, but i have no clue about any others.
If you could please fill me in that would be great :thumbup:

·
Ich bin ein Bimmerer
1,241 Posts
SuperSprint and Remus are popular with some. The thing is, you are likely to spend a bunch of bucks for some sound and almost no performance, other than some weight savings. I think Andy said he lost about 34lbs with his exhaust system, which is a speck on the total weight of the car. Of course, every pound counts with his competetive driving. A lot of times the weight reduction comes from thinner walls on the exhaust components and/or muffler. It's up to you if it's worth it, but it won't make you appreciably faster, at least alone.

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,346 Posts
Those exhaust systems cost a pretty penny. I love the sound of the OEM exhaust so I see no reason to change it out when there is zilch improvement in the performance department.

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
I don't get the reasoning behind replacing a perfectly good and expensive exhaust system.

First off replacement exhausts are expensive, there is very little gain in performance, most are louder than stock systems, you run the risk of a bad install, and the original equipment will be less likely to rust out.

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Artslinger said:
I don't get the reasoning behind replacing a perfectly good and expensive exhaust system.

First off replacement exhausts are expensive, there is very little gain in performance, most are louder than stock systems, you run the risk of a bad install, and the original equipment will be less likely to rust out.
Yes, you got it. The "louder" part is why I'd want a swap. And I can install it just fine, all I need is basic tools, a set of ramps and patience.

To the original poster: try Rogue's Icon exhaust which is basically just the muffler if I'm not mistaken. It will give you the nice sound, some weight savings but without the exorbitant cost of the other cat-back exhaust systems ($400 vs. $700+). And given that no one can conclusively claim any gains with oxhaust only on a 330... why spend more? :dunno:

I think one will be going on my car next year...

adc
03 330 ZHP

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
adc said:
Yes, you got it. The "louder" part is why I'd want a swap. And I can install it just fine, all I need is basic tools, a set of ramps and patience.

To the original poster: try Rogue's Icon exhaust which is basically just the muffler if I'm not mistaken. It will give you the nice sound, some weight savings but without the exorbitant cost of the other cat-back exhaust systems ($400 vs. $700+). And given that no one can conclusively claim any gains with oxhaust only on a 330... why spend more? :dunno:

I think one will be going on my car next year...

adc
03 330 ZHP
$500 to make your BMW louder... why?

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Artslinger said:
$500 to make your BMW louder... why?
Because I like it louder. Really simple. :dunno:

What's the reason for changing anything on any car?

adc
03 330 ZHP

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
adc said:

adc
03 330 ZHP
What the heck... it's your money and if it makes you happy... do it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Artslinger said:

I agree. Besides, isn't the ZHP louder than stock already? To each their own.

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
RandyB said:
I agree. Besides, isn't the ZHP louder than stock already? To each their own.
Well the ZHP has an amazing sound up to around 1500RPM - after that it quiets down significantly. If it would continue on as it started, I'd love it even more.

I realize it's a pretty useless mod as far as performance goes, and that some might consider it as bling as a set of blue turn signals. But for me, it's perfectly OK to drop $400 to get the sounds that I've always wanted in my car, even if it doesn't get any faster.

:dunno:

adc
03 330 ZHP

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
adc said:
Well the ZHP has an amazing sound up to around 1500RPM - after that it quiets down significantly. If it would continue on as it started, I'd love it even more.

I realize it's a pretty useless mod as far as performance goes, and that some might consider it as bling as a set of blue turn signals. But for me, it's perfectly OK to drop $400 to get the sounds that I've always wanted in my car, even if it doesn't get any faster.

:dunno:

adc
03 330 ZHP
Really? You think its loud UP TO 1500 rpm? I find it really hums loud and beautiful when accelearting in the 4000+ range !

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
adc said:

adc
03 330 ZHP
I understand that. Sometimes, I'd like more of the beautiful sound that the engine makes. However, I spent my early driving years with my glass-pack equipped Camaro, so now I appreciate a car that is quieter under full throttle. It doesn't sound as fast to someone outside the car, which is good if you didn't see the cop sitting watching you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts