BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
X5 Fanatic
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I know I'm probably going to be hated on, but my research has not made me satisfied. I want my exhaust note to be a little louder, with a louder purr. I don't want anything obnoxious or super loud, just something that I can hear a little more. Thanks, and sorry again because im sure there is info on this, but I can't find anything that satisfies my question.

Kaelan

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,304 Posts
Which engine have you? The diesel's turbos work fine by themselves without a muffler.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,330 Posts
I wish someone would just take a holesaw and core out a 1.5 inch hole though the center of a stock muffler- super cheap and often times works nicely with some cars.

Adds just as much HP as the BMW "performance" exhaust

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,304 Posts
I wish someone would just take a holesaw and core out a 1.5 inch hole though the center of a stock muffler- super cheap and often times works nicely with some cars.

Adds just as much HP as the BMW "performance" exhaust
Waay back when I had my 911E, the hot cheap muffler was the stock muffler with a carefully drilled hole and added tailpipe symmetrical with the single existing one. Cheap is relative, 1973 911E Targa fully optioned was ~$18K, IIRC 265 Hp.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Does Dinan make anything for the X5? If yes it would be my go to brand, good quality stuff.

Had an S1 package (included exhaust) on the old MINI and it fit that car perfectly, not completely obnoxious but your knew it was not stock. Loved it.
I recently replaced the exhaust on the E46 with a Dinan as well. Was not looking to make this type of change but a friend ran over a rock thinking the car would clear it. Not!! . Anyway, the muffler was bashed in so had to be replaced and I decided to try the Dinan thinking I could do even swap for used OEM if I did not like it. It sounds a little deeper than OE, but barely louder even with top down. I'm ok with the decision since it came at no cost and actually made my deductible vanish completely.

·
Registered Boozer
680 Posts
No Dinan exhaust for the E70 35i, only a software tune up to ~355hp/401ftlb. I checked a while back.

I too have a Dinan exhaust and intake, but on my E36 M3 sedan. Agree that the exhaust note is subtle, slightly louder after longer freeway trips, but the intake screams at WOT! Quality products and the exhaust was easily 25lbs lighter vs. the factory boat anchor.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
No Dinan exhaust for the E70 35i, only a software tune up to ~355hp/401ftlb. I checked a while back.

I too have a Dinan exhaust and intake, but on my E36 M3 sedan. Agree that the exhaust note is subtle, slightly louder after longer freeway trips, but the intake screams at WOT! Quality products and the exhaust was easily 25lbs lighter vs. the factory boat anchor.
Isn't stock 300hp? If so that software tune is a good bump! I'd spend $$$ on that from Dinan over possibly questionable brand of exhaust.

·
Registered Boozer
680 Posts
Isn't stock 300hp? If so that software tune is a good bump! I'd spend $$$ on that from Dinan over possibly questionable brand of exhaust.
Yeah, the stock N55 specs in the E70 are 302hp/297ftlb. For the ~$1400 Dinan tune, it's a 17.5% hp bump and a 35% torque increase.

Wonder if Dinan would do a group coding session w/ a discount if we had 5 members get the tune at the same time. :D

·
X5 Fanatic
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, the stock N55 specs in the E70 are 302hp/297ftlb. For the ~$1400 Dinan tune, it's a 15% hp bump and a 26% torque increase.

Wonder if Dinan would do a group coding session w/ a discount if we had 5 members get the tune at the same time. :D
I'd definitely be in on doing that!

·
X5 Fanatic
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, the stock N55 specs in the E70 are 302hp/297ftlb. For the ~$1400 Dinan tune, it's a 15% hp bump and a 26% torque increase.

I'd definitely be in on doing that!

·
Registered Boozer
680 Posts
Crap, my math was off. It's really a 17.5% hp bump and a 35% torque increase. I've corrected my original post.

Has anyone tried the BMC intake air filter? It's reusable, fits the stock air-box, flows better, and catches particulates down to 7 microns. I believe factory filter is good to only 10 microns.

·
Registered Boozer
680 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts