BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
craayzie
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I check the coolant level when the car is stone cold in the morning the level-measure-stick-thing-a-ma-bob is no where to be found for a minute. Then I hear the system de-pressurize and the level measure stick slowly rises up to the surface - above the expansion tank neck line. Which tells me that it has plenty of coolant right? Not sure.

My question: are we supposed to wait for the cooling system to depressurize before we check the coolant level?

The reason I'm not sure about all of this is because my low coolant level warning light won't come off - but from what i can tell - after the system depressurizes, I've got plenty of coolant. Starting to think it's the coolant level sensor.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
aioros
889 Posts
sorry I didn't understand. When I check the coolant level, I unscrew the cap and the floater is there. I can barely see the coolant at the bottom of the tank. If the system needs coolant, the floater is below the tank neck.

·
Registered
15,574 Posts
The system depressurizes as soon as you crack the cap. There is no waiting. The float should bob up as soon as you remove the cap. It s/b level with the top of the fill hole.

Something strange is going on. Have you had cooling system work done recently? Has your cooling system been overhauled since you've owned the car?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts