BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spoke with Tire Rack again about the sports package tires. In regards to the 325i, they said they can fit the All-season tires (225/45R-17) from the base 330i on the 325i sports package. They are both 17" tires. The only thing is that the both front and rear tires will be the same size, where as the sports package comes from the factory with a larger rear tire (255/40R-17). Although the rear wheels (17x8.5) are a bit wider than the fronts (17x8.0) in the sports, Tire Rack claims the all-seasons will fit. The All-seasons are also low profile.

That solves the whole hassel of changing summer and winter tires as well as the issue of low treadware of the summer tires. I guess you will lose out with some performance, but it will be much more cost effective.

That was the clincher for me to get the sports package because my main worries were the added expense of the winter/summer tires.

· Registered
30 Posts
thanks for the post nittany. If I go with the SP I've aslo been considering that setup once the low treadwear tires of the SP wear out. Page 173 of the manual pretty much indicates you could use those tires (225/45R17) all around on the SP although it doesn't specify on which wheels. However, on other tire pages I've noticed the 225's as being the minimum width tires that can still go on an 8.5" wheel. Aside from the $$ savings at the expense of performance, there's another small benefit or two. For those who only have wet winters with no snow, and yet, sometimes go into snow area, for skiing for instance (w/skis, not the car), in the occasions that the interstate is requiring chains to proceed until it gets plowed, or you just need them for a short back road that doesn't get salted, the snow chains will fit on the 225/45R17, whereas they won't go on the 255/40/R17. Second, although anyone considering it should certainly double check with those in the business, with a 3mm offset spacer, you could still rotate front to back on this setup to help extend the mileage of the tires themselves (37 vs 34mm offset on rear wheels). As a semi-related side question, does anyone know if stock bmw's come with any negative camber on the front?

· Registered
512 Posts
nittany said:
That was the clincher for me to get the sports package because my main worries were the added expense of the winter/summer tires.
Winter/Summer tires just add a little expenses as two sets of tires last longer. And if the tire tread of All Seasons down to 40%, it is not good for snow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.