BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know it's only $100 more if I am getting the Sport Package but if I rarely drive with my hands on the 3 & 9 o'clock positions then would I ever use it? Does anyone have the SMG on the M3's or the 330's to tell us their experience with the paddle shifters?

I wonder if it'll just be there for looks and never get used.... if so then why not keep the steering wheel area clean?

(thanks)

·
Feverish Fanatic
149 Posts
Please don't drive with a habit of putting one of your hands in the 12 o'clock position, since if the airbag deploys you'll end up punching yourself in the face (literally).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so 2 things I've learned so far... don't get punch in the face by my own fist and not to buy auto :p but what about all the Los Angeles 101-405 freeway traffic???
but seriously I agree however I don't drive with my hand on the 12 o'clock position either, I mainly have my left hand on the 9 o'clock.

Maybe I should rephrase my question: Do you guys think the paddle shifters would just clutter up the steering wheel area and not allow a clear view of the area behind it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
mog_pj said:
I know it's only $100 more if I am getting the Sport Package but if I rarely drive with my hands on the 3 & 9 o'clock positions then would I ever use it? Does anyone have the SMG on the M3's or the 330's to tell us their experience with the paddle shifters?

I wonder if it'll just be there for looks and never get used.... if so then why not keep the steering wheel area clean?

(thanks)
Go to an Audi/VW dealer and ask for a test drive on an A3 or Golf GTI with paddle shifter. This way you can tell if paddle works for you.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
great idea... I will do that! thanks :)

·
****ie Member
305 Posts
What did you decide on the paddle shifters? I saw the shifters today at the dealer on a 335i and found that the shifters cluttered the steering wheel, blocked visibility of the dash, and the shifters themselves were polished to a chrome shine that I found distracting.

What do you think/decide?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually didn't think it was too bad... I had already orderd it once I saw it and test drove it but am ok with my decision to get it. I only used it once during the test drive but didn't think that it got in my way the rest of the time.

What did you decide on the paddle shifters? I saw the shifters today at the dealer on a 335i and found that the shifters cluttered the steering wheel, blocked visibility of the dash, and the shifters themselves were polished to a chrome shine that I found distracting.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I just test drove a car with paddle shifters and I can tell you the shifts were very quick and super smooth. Yeah yeah many people will tell u get a manual because that's what 'real' drivers get. Yeah some people think driving a manual keeps you closer to the car; for me the 335 engine gives me enough to feel close to the car - to each his own.

That said, the car itself is kinda insulated as other people have commented. Going from a high revving miata which actually vibrates when pushed :) the BMW was way too smooth and refined. I am at a point where I appreciate the refined behavior and that's why I like this car so much.

However I'd caution people looking for a "drivers" car about the 335. It is really too refined. You don't hear much of the engine (its a nice throaty whine), you don't feel the speed and you don't hear the wind and there is absolutely no reverbration. You will go very fast, very quickly but it happens so fast that you probably won't savor it.

·
Confessed Bimmer Fanatic
728 Posts
However I'd caution people looking for a "drivers" car about the 335. It is really too refined. You don't hear much of the engine (its a nice throaty whine), you don't feel the speed and you don't hear the wind and there is absolutely no reverbration. You will go very fast, very quickly but it happens so fast that you probably won't savor it.
So, let me get this straight. The 335 does not generate or allow enough wind noise in the cabin, and does not shake enough, to make it a fun/fulfilling/engaging/high-level driving experience? And it is too fast/quick? These types of things are obviously subjective, and I mean no offense, but I am glad BMW does not design its cars with the objectives of high wind noise, plenty of shaking and making sure the car is slow enough to make it fast. (???) As far as feelng the speed of the 335, I have seen many comments from people that own E46 M3s or test drove an M3 and 335 back-to-back, that indicate the 335 feels faster than the M3. Another very subjective analysis.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I love my 335i with paddle shifters. I do not use it from a standing stop, especially if i have to turn right or left at a light. I think it is great when I want to downshift and get going, then upshift again. I use both the paddles and the stick, whichever is more convenient.

this car is FAST. You will feel your back press against the seat even when you are NOT at full throttle - I am still breaking in the car and am a good boy :) well ... mostly good.

-p.

·
Registered
129 Posts

I agree with this comment and not to mention found them to be uncomfortable to use mainly b/c I do not drive with both hands - I know a bad habbit. I ended up using the shifter instead.

·
Registered
368 Posts
ok so 2 things I've learned so far... don't get punch in the face by my own fist and not to buy auto :p but what about all the Los Angeles 101-405 freeway traffic???
but seriously I agree however I don't drive with my hand on the 12 o'clock position either, I mainly have my left hand on the 9 o'clock.

Maybe I should rephrase my question: Do you guys think the paddle shifters would just clutter up the steering wheel area and not allow a clear view of the area behind it?

·
Registered
67 Posts
It sounds like the paddles will be an issue, so you may want to pass on that option.

·
Registered
321 Posts
So, let me get this straight. The 335 does not generate or allow enough wind noise in the cabin, and does not shake enough, to make it a fun/fulfilling/engaging/high-level driving experience? And it is too fast/quick? These types of things are obviously subjective, and I mean no offense, but I am glad BMW does not design its cars with the objectives of high wind noise, plenty of shaking and making sure the car is slow enough to make it fast. (???) As far as feelng the speed of the 335, I have seen many comments from people that own E46 M3s or test drove an M3 and 335 back-to-back, that indicate the 335 feels faster than the M3. Another very subjective analysis.
Its unfortunate you missed the sarcasm in my note. All I was saying was this - I easily got to a 100 and I did not even feel it until my wife pointed out the speedometer to me. So if you are the kinda of person who gets a thrill outta going fast, you probably may not feel it.

I believe every single person who posts here is providing a subjective opinion. It is implict and I did not feel the need to describe that.

·
Registered
311 Posts

(thanks)
If you are getting Auto and Sport you would be making a huge mistake not to get the Paddle shifters at leat for resale value. I had SMG II on my e46 M3 and loved it. Having paddle shifters wont make this auto tranny an SMG but it will be a very useful cheap fun option. Don't think about it for another minute, just order them, you'll be glad you did.

·
Confessed Bimmer Fanatic
728 Posts
Its unfortunate you missed the sarcasm in my note. All I was saying was this - I easily got to a 100 and I did not even feel it until my wife pointed out the speedometer to me. So if you are the kinda of person who gets a thrill outta going fast, you probably may not feel it.

I believe every single person who posts here is providing a subjective opinion. It is implict and I did not feel the need to describe that.
I'm with ya and, like I said, I certainly did not mean to offend. If I did, I apologize. I guess I just had a hard time understanding your comments (subjective or otherwise) in relation to the "driver's car" issue.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts