BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We took delivery of a 530d GT recently and have had numerous issues but this last one really does take some beating.

The car was sitting on the driveway and had been all weekend. The alarm goes off, we go out to check and the sunroof has exploded outwards (looks like a volcano). The dealer (I am based in the UK) has refused to listen to warranty claims and worse still is now quoting £4200 (yes, close to $6000) to fix it. And before we asked for them to look at getting it done under warranty, they quoted £853 (around $1200).

Am I a fan of this BMW (or the dealer). NO WAY, this car is a lemon and the dealer is a crook

(and I can see from googling "BMW Exploding Sunroof" I am not the only one!)

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
We took delivery of a 530d GT recently and have had numerous issues but this last one really does take some beating.

The car was sitting on the driveway and had been all weekend. The alarm goes off, we go out to check and the sunroof has exploded outwards (looks like a volcano). The dealer (I am based in the UK) has refused to listen to warranty claims and worse still is now quoting £4200 (yes, close to $6000) to fix it. And before we asked for them to look at getting it done under warranty, they quoted £853 (around $1200).

Am I a fan of BMW. NO WAY, this car is a lemon and the dealer is a crook (and I can see from googling "BMW Exploding Sunroof" I am not the only one!

·
Happy F10 driver
133 Posts
If the dealer won't sort it then just do a glass claim on your insurance - many include sunroof glass. You won't normally lose your NCD and will only be a very small excess.

I'm not sure a broken sunroof (regardless of how it occurred) would enable you to get them to take the car back under the SOGA - we have no lemon law in the UK. It would depend how long ago you took delivery? Was it new or 2nd hand? Of course you could take a small claims action against the dealer for the cost - they would have to prove to the court that it was not due to a manufacturing defect - you would probably win. But unless you've got another dealer nearby to tend to all your regular BMW needs, you will only lose any good will you had with them and you still have the problem of getting it fixed ASAP.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Can you post a photo? Can you or the dealer conjecture as to what may have caused the problem? If the cause of the problem is understood than an argument be made (or not made) as to the coverage under warranty. You may want another dealer or a independent BMW mechanic with no vested interest in the problem to look at it. The cause of the problem is the starting point for the solution.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a new car, but we have already had it back to the garage 4 times.

1. The clock was slow (one hour in real time was one minute in BMW time). They had the car for a day to look at it and then tell us....

2. The entire dashboard and computer system had to be replaced, this was a two day garage visit

3. My partner was left stranded in a car park some 50 miles from home when her eKey failed and she was unable to do anything other than open the car door with the traditional key element (hidden inside the eKey). This didn't disable the alarm and obviously didn't allow her to drive. This resulted in another day in the dealer as they reprogrammed a new key

4. The sunroof spontaneously erupts whilst parked on driveway. The dealer is now saying that they need to replace the entire sunroof mechanism which is the £4200 +VAT cost. That looks like they either need more service fees to hit their end of month target, or there is a design flaw in this car.

We have passed to the insurance company who have taken an equally dim view and are dispatching their own inspection team.

NEVER buying another car from this dealer!

·
Happy F10 driver
133 Posts
It is a new car, but we have already had it back to the garage 4 times.

1. The clock was slow (one hour in real time was one minute in BMW time). They had the car for a day to look at it and then tell us....

2. The entire dashboard and computer system had to be replaced, this was a two day garage visit

3. My partner was left stranded in a car park some 50 miles from home when her eKey failed and she was unable to do anything other than open the car door with the traditional key element (hidden inside the eKey). This didn't disable the alarm and obviously didn't allow her to drive. This resulted in another day in the dealer as they reprogrammed a new key

4. The sunroof spontaneously erupts whilst parked on driveway. The dealer is now saying that they need to replace the entire sunroof mechanism which is the £4200 +VAT cost. That looks like they either need more service fees to hit their end of month target, or there is a design flaw in this car.

We have passed to the insurance company who have taken an equally dim view and are dispatching their own inspection team.

NEVER buying another car from this dealer!
You don't say how old the car is or how long you've had it, but you may have a case to reject the car under the SOGA depending on the time period involved. As they seem to have resolved your other issues in a timely fashion there may not be a good case for this.

Dealers do well out of doing warranty work - it gets charged to BMWUK, so if they believe they can resolve so ething under warranty they normally don't have a good reason not to. Whilst under the SOGA they are responsible for the issues, the realistic viewpoint is that they cannot control the quality of manufacture.

Have you discussed any of this with BMWUK Customer Services?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
We have had the car for less than 6 months. Insurance company are now taking it up with BMW Dealer and onward. Not sure we want to drive a car with a sunroof that explodes! The service guy even suggested that not opening the sunroof would be best way to ensure does not happen again! I am sure all BMW's can't be as bad as this one, but I will not be taking the risk again and I will be telling everyone I know my opinion of the dealer. Two quotes that are over £3000 different, from the SAME dealer in the same week....I am not one for conspiracy theories but here, I smell a rat!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts