BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are dealers allowed to mark these items up? I noticed when I went to build a unit that the maintenance came up at $2295 for the extra two years, but the dealer told me it was going to be at least $2795 and they couldn't be sure until they had a specific VIN number to apply it to.

Also, can these items be purchased over the phone, or do I have to visit the dealer assuming this is a brand new vehicle?

I could purchase out of either TX, FL, NJ, PA, or SC. (I move around a lot). :thumbup:

·
Registered
763 Posts
I understand the price is flexible to a degree, so it does pay to shop around. If they can mark down, I guess they can mark up too.

You used to be able to purchase from anywhere by just providing your vin #, but now the dealer has to physically see the car. Since you move around a lot, you can still shop extensively.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
1. They charge whatever they can get away with.

2. WHY would you buy this with a new car, FOUR YEARS (or 50k) before you need it??

3. Money down the drain if the car is totalled. (I know this is not refundable, but may have a 'total loss' clause, someone can correct if so...)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

2. WHY would you buy this with a new car, FOUR YEARS (or 50k) before you need it??

3. Money down the drain if the car is totalled. (I know this is not refundable, but may have a 'total loss' clause, someone can correct if so...)
Aren't the Maintenance and Extended Warranties cheaper if you buy them at purchase?

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Are dealers allowed to mark these items up? I noticed when I went to build a unit that the maintenance came up at $2295 for the extra two years, but the dealer told me it was going to be at least $2795 and they couldn't be sure until they had a specific VIN number to apply it to.

Also, can these items be purchased over the phone, or do I have to visit the dealer assuming this is a brand new vehicle?

I could purchase out of either TX, FL, NJ, PA, or SC. (I move around a lot). :thumbup:
Daniel Dutton at Pacific BMW was offering some decent deals on Extended Warranties. Not sure if the program is still around....it's been a couple years since I inquired about them.

All you had to do was overnight your keyfob so they could read the data, mileage, etc.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Daniel Dutton at Pacific BMW was offering some decent deals on Extended Warranties. Not sure if the program is still around....it's been a couple years since I inquired about them.

All you had to do was overnight your keyfob so they could read the data, mileage, etc.
This is true, however now the dealer has to see the car, so unless you can drive it to PAC BMW it won't do you much good. Also I don't know if they can give such a great price now that it isn't a volume business any longer. N4S

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do the costs of the warranty/maintenance change based on the mileage on the vehicle? ie: Is this something I should buy at purchase or should I wait until I get closer to the 48 months / 50k miles?

Are any of these transferable? Or refundable if I don't use them? (ie: Sell the car before these services kick in)?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Do the costs of the warranty/maintenance change based on the mileage on the vehicle? ie: Is this something I should buy at purchase or should I wait until I get closer to the 48 months / 50k miles?

Are any of these transferable? Or refundable if I don't use them? (ie: Sell the car before these services kick in)?
They do not change with mileage nor age.

The pricing is 'subject to change' and may go up over the next few years. But not enought to give bmw $5k just in case.

The warranty IS cancellable and transferable. The maintenance plan cannot be cancelled. Once you buy it you own it. I recall 'soldmyustanf' finding out htta the maintenance he bought was non returnable once he reasled how bad a deal it really was.

The maintemnance really should wait uintil you get there- depending on what was done, how you dirve, etc, you might find you spend $2700 on two oil changes, an air filter and a brake fluid flush!

·
Registered
4,948 Posts

Price goes up once you past 10K miles...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Price goes up once you past 10K miles...
Interesting. At your dealer or does BMW publish this? How much of an increase? Does the cost to the dealer go up or just the MSRP?

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Interesting. At your dealer or does BMW publish this? How much of an increase? Does the cost to the dealer go up or just the MSRP?
When we signed the paperwork on our GT, we were told you can get the extended warranty and or Maintenance as long as you haven't gone over the 4yr or 50K. We were also told that if the car has less then 10K the price was X, vers XX after 10K

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like the best thing to do is lock in the warranty cost before 10k and just wait on the maintenance since the former can be cancelled and transferred.

One brake job and it covers the cost of the whole maintenance package, but if it's non-transferable and non-cancellable, best to wait as you suggest until just before the 48 months/50k.

Eagle11, do you remember what the variance was in the before/after 10k quotes? Was it 10%, 20%? etc?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Sounds like the best thing to do is lock in the warranty cost before 10k and just wait on the maintenance since the former can be cancelled and transferred.

One brake job and it covers the cost of the whole maintenance package, but if it's non-transferable and non-cancellable, best to wait as you suggest until just before the 48 months/50k.

Eagle11, do you remember what the variance was in the before/after 10k quotes? Was it 10%, 20%? etc?

Thanks everyone!
I have to say it was 25% more, what I don't understand is if the car's maintence is being followed by BMW why charge more???

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts

Thanks everyone!
You really ought to get more that one opinion on the existence of this so called tiered pricing.

As I alluded to above, if one dealer TELLS you the price changes at 10k, this does not mean ALL dealers follow that model. NOR does it mean BMWNA changes the price the dealer pays.

Ive been doing this a while and have not heard BMW has a tiered pricing plan. Dont you think you would have read a post or two about this here?

Finally as I stated above, there is no guarantee you WILL get a brake job out of the plan- at 45k you will know pretty dang well what mantenance will be required in the next two years or 50k. and of course yoiu will then decide if you want to get abused by the dealer or find an indy.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
I can understand why some people feel more comfortable purchasing an extended warranty but why pre-pay for maintenance?
same reason why people have to purchase a M3 and not just a 335i...

·
Registered
128 Posts
For the maintenance package it depends on the state it was purchased in. I bought mine at time of purchase and in Illinois it can be returned up until you pass over the 4yr or 50k mile.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.