BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
got something nicer?
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 535 is about 8 months away from having the 4y/50k maintenance program expire. I've got a platinum extended warranty on it until Dec 2017.

When I had my E46, I extended the maintenance through one of the board sponsors here, if my memory holds.

Has anyone shopped extended maintenance on a F07 or have a cost basis I could go off? I'd like to be armed with some pricing before I go into my service dealer on this.

Thanks in advance.

·
There is no spoon
1,964 Posts
I have never purchased an extended warranty or maintenance plan. Personally I would rather save the money and pay them when an item comes due as every service under warranty always seems super slow and full of "paperwork" issues.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
got something nicer?
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never purchased an extended warranty or maintenance plan. Personally I would rather save the money and pay them when an item comes due as every service under warranty always seems super slow and full of "paperwork" issues.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I've bought both through BMW and it's been super simple and quick.

·
GT = hi&bye
179 Posts
My warranty expires... TODAY

I am with daders. I will not buy an extended warranty.

My warranty expires....ahem, today.

I tossed it around and battled with it...now I have made my decision. NOPE. I will pay-as-I-go with the routine maintenance and pray and pray, and pray some more that things hold up.

From what I gather on the F07 and the F10 forums, the 550i has hit-or-miss issues with the injectors. That is a major problem with a major expense. Another worry, but not so much, is an exploding sunroof. WTF? (Why the face) LOL

So far, I have had zero issues. Well, I was getting the "increased battery discharge" often, so the dealer replaced the battery under warranty last week. I don't drive this car nearly enough to justify thousands of $$$ on an extended warranty. For me, it just wouldn't make financial sense.

Finger, eyes, and toes crossed that this German-engineered car will serve me proud!

What have other early build owners done in this situation?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Extended warranty is one thing. extended or prepaid maintenance is another which is what the OP inquired about....

I have bought extended warranties on our last two vehicles and they have both paid off almost 2x over what I paid. I fully expect to extend my GT warranty through Penfed/Rt66 warranty - too many things to go wrong with the GT IMO.

As for prepaid maintenance, I don't know....I suppose if you calculate/estimate the cost during your first two of ownership and project them out it isn't hard to determine if prepaying makes sense or not. There isn't much cost savings going to indy shops once you are out of warranty with a complicated car - you all but need to go to an indy shop that specializes in bmw or at least german imports for anything more than an oil change (unless you want to risk them screwing up your car).

What are the approx. costs of the BMW prepaid maintenance?? I assume we are talking $3-6k for 2 or 3 yrs?

I am with daders. I will not buy an extended warranty.

My warranty expires....ahem, today.

I tossed it around and battled with it...now I have made my decision. NOPE. I will pay-as-I-go with the routine maintenance and pray and pray, and pray some more that things hold up.

From what I gather on the F07 and the F10 forums, the 550i has hit-or-miss issues with the injectors. That is a major problem with a major expense. Another worry, but not so much, is an exploding sunroof. WTF? (Why the face) LOL

So far, I have had zero issues. Well, I was getting the "increased battery discharge" often, so the dealer replaced the battery under warranty last week. I don't drive this car nearly enough to justify thousands of $$$ on an extended warranty. For me, it just wouldn't make financial sense.

Finger, eyes, and toes crossed that this German-engineered car will serve me proud!

What have other early build owners done in this situation?

·
got something nicer?
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Extended warranty is one thing. extended or prepaid maintenance is another which is what the OP inquired about....

I have bought extended warranties on our last two vehicles and they have both paid off almost 2x over what I paid. I fully expect to extend my GT warranty through Penfed/Rt66 warranty - too many things to go wrong with the GT IMO.

As for prepaid maintenance, I don't know....I suppose if you calculate/estimate the cost during your first two of ownership and project them out it isn't hard to determine if prepaying makes sense or not. There isn't much cost savings going to indy shops once you are out of warranty with a complicated car - you all but need to go to an indy shop that specializes in bmw or at least german imports for anything more than an oil change (unless you want to risk them screwing up your car).

What are the approx. costs of the BMW prepaid maintenance?? I assume we are talking $3-6k for 2 or 3 yrs?
I've rarely lost on an extended warranty but if they hit me with $3k for a couple of years of maintenance, that might be a losing proposition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.