BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2004 325xi with 37,000 remaining on the 4/50k. Because I purchased a "loaner" from the dealership, I also get the BMW certified 2/100k on top of that. The bad news is I lose my 4/50 in early 2008 - I will only be around 35-40k by then. I'm wondering if purchasing the extended maintenance warranty would be a good thing or a waste of cash. My dealer told me it would be another $1600. From what I have seen on other posts, that seems high. But, I assume that the price may vary be dealer.

Any input/prices/etc would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Banned
45 Posts
What are the terms of the extended program since the 2/100 ends in 2010 or 100k miles?

I am confused about your question?

Thanks,
Rodney

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The additional 2/100 k CPO covers me only if something "breaks". There is also a $50 deductible per service under that plan. Per the dealer, the extended maintenance warranty that I am looking into, covers all of the standard maintenance that I get through the initial 4/50 k - but for 2 more years. During that period - the additional 2 years - I would also have the CPO.

So my question really comes down to whether the maintenance over that 2 years will cost as much as the warranty itself will cost me. I know that, based upon the number of miles I drive, the 2nd major service will be after my initial 4/50 expires.

The more I think about it, the more I think that I probably don't need to also purchase the extended maintenance warranty. But, this is my 1st Bimmer so I have no clue how much maintenance will really cost.

Thanks!

·
This is the Cubs year)
4,012 Posts
rodney can't you buy the extended maintenance at any time during your initial 4/50 maintenance? When one does decide to go with the extended maintenance can you shop around for anywhere in the country for the best deal and the maintenance is good at any bmw in north america? I don't know if there is a standard price bmwna charges or if the dealerships can have room to negotiate.

Thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
RODNEYOROURKE,

Are you sure about the hoses being covered under the maintenance plan??

·
Banned
45 Posts
Wow, thanks for catching that Woody... I edited my last post... Hoses are NOT covered. There is a list of exclutions that I can fax to you....

When it comes to qualifying for the program, you must be within your original factory maintenance. Either 3/36 or 4/50 whichever comes first.

Thanks,
Rodney

·
Registered
1 Posts
Beware the extended maintenance does not cover brakes

I just found out the full maintenance upgrade I purchased for my '02 E53 and '02 E46 does not cover all the brakes on a BMW! The front and rear discs are covered, but the e-brake/parking brake, which is a separate drum/shoe configuration on the inboard side of the rear discs, are not covered. It seems that not all brakes are created equal. This is out and out false advertising, misrepresentation and deception. My extended maintenance upgrade contract states that brake linings (pads), rotors, clutch, wiper blades, etc. are covered, but not wear and tear items. It seems that wear and tear items like disc pads and rotors are not really wear and tear items and will be repaired/replaced under the maintenance program, but wear and tear items which are really wear and tear items like brake shoes and drums are not covered under the maintenance program, standard or upgrade. What gives?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I just bought the extended maintenance plan a couple of weeks ago to complement my CPO warranty. The price is definitely negotiable and your dealer's offer is way high. My local dealer matched a price quote I was given by one of our Bimmerfest dealer friends. For me it was a bargain. By the time I reach 50K miles, I will have had the M initial service, two oil services, and Inpections I and II. Assuming I continue at the same rate, I will get all of those again for around $1200, I have heard around here that $800-1000 for just the Inpection II is not unheard of. Add in the price of the near-certain brake job, and it's a bargain. On the other hand, if your driving mileage is not too high, and you will only likely have the one inspection to pay for in the future, you're probably better off just paying for the service as you go.

·
Registered
80 Posts
gatorfan2 said:
I just got a 2004 325xi with 37,000 remaining on the 4/50k. Because I purchased a "loaner" from the dealership, I also get the BMW certified 2/100k on top of that. The bad news is I lose my 4/50 in early 2008 - I will only be around 35-40k by then. I'm wondering if purchasing the extended maintenance warranty would be a good thing or a waste of cash. My dealer told me it would be another $1600. From what I have seen on other posts, that seems high. But, I assume that the price may vary be dealer.

Any input/prices/etc would be appreciated. Thanks.
gatorfan2 --
read my pm to u

·
Registered
335 Posts
Is there another warranty you can purchase besides the exteneded Maint warranty?
That would cover things like A/C, engfine mgmt computer (may not be correct term for this), and other high costs items to fix?

thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a quote from the BMW dealer for an extended maintenance warranty for my 2004 530i. It seems high but I have no way to really tell. Is there a place that I check for prices?

·
Registered
369 Posts
OP, definately do the extended maint. My wife's car, 2004 325xi, had boot failures which are common from around 45-80k miles and the axles needed replacement. Cost with new brakes and power steering hose was $2800. Seems like alot but it's not considering the above example. Also, shop around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts