Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2016 X6 xDrive50i with M Sport package, has 37k miles on it. Drives awesome! I have just under 3 months left on the original BMW warranty, is it worth it to purchase an extended warranty? According to the carfax this car was very well maintained with very few problems.

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
On average, no. If they were the companies selling the warranties would lose money because the claims would be more than the premiums paid.

For every person on the Interwebs bragging how much an extended warranty saved them, there are multiple people who paid for the extended warranties and got less or no money back in claims.

Insurance is to protect you against things that would wipe you out financially (your house burning down, you causing a wreck that causes a school bus to drive off a cliff, etc.).. Life's normal little losses like cars or toasters breaking down isn't something worth insuring... on average..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention it did come with a 100k mile powertrain warranty through Allstate.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,536 Posts
Where do you live? (Roughly)

Are you a DIYer or will any and all repairs require paid services?

That allstate, how many years? Or is it any length of time to achieve 100k?

How many miles a year will you drive?

What is your tolerance to a 2k, 5k and 15k emergency/surprise repair?

Finally, 'very well maintained'?????????? in 37k miles it has had 2 oil changes, and prolly an air filter, cabin filter or windsheild wiper. What are all the other 'maintenance' visits it has had?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All good questions ARD! Let me answer...

The Allstate power train warranty is 5 years or 100k on the odometer. I do almost 20k a year so this will be good for another 3 years, maybe a little more. I live in Watertown, MA, just outside of Boston.

The carfax shows the car had regular maintenance visits to BMW dealerships with oil changes every 5-7k miles. I did not see any actual repairs on the car, maybe some minor adjustment type things.

I can do some repairs myself however I know and trust my local mechanic, he also drives a BMW. He said no need to purchase an extended warranty, however I was hoping to hear from other owners their experience first while I still am under the original warranty.

As for my tolerance to a 2k, 5k and 15k emergency/surprise repair? A $2k repair I can live with. A $5k repair would hurt but depending on what it is I may/may not keep the car. For a $15k repair I would probably look at getting a different car.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,091 Posts
Warranty exceptions are the devil in the details. ALL warranties are bets against the house. “Hurray, you win! Ah, except on Tuesdays with odd day numbers. So sorry. Play again. Pay your money and take your chances.”

·
Registered
19 Posts
Warranty exceptions are the devil in the details. ALL warranties are bets against the house. “Hurray, you win! Ah, except on Tuesdays with odd day numbers. So sorry. Play again. Pay your money and take your chances.”
I would NEVER own a bimmer without warrantee covering it. I worked at a dealer and was able to see how much some of the repair orders amounted too. plus a lot of tears!!!

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,091 Posts
I would NEVER own a bimmer without warrantee covering it. I worked at a dealer and was able to see how much some of the repair orders amounted too. plus a lot of tears!!!
Do you own outright a BMW now? I do.

The note was paid off months ago and the premiums earmarked for emergent expenses, so ~$5K is available within the budget. Some people can’t really afford any car, let alone a BMW used or new.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,536 Posts
All good questions ARD! Let me answer...

The Allstate power train warranty is 5 years or 100k on the odometer. I do almost 20k a year so this will be good for another 3 years, maybe a little more. I live in Watertown, MA, just outside of Boston.

The carfax shows the car had regular maintenance visits to BMW dealerships with oil changes every 5-7k miles. I did not see any actual repairs on the car, maybe some minor adjustment type things.

I can do some repairs myself however I know and trust my local mechanic, he also drives a BMW. He said no need to purchase an extended warranty, however I was hoping to hear from other owners their experience first while I still am under the original warranty.

As for my tolerance to a 2k, 5k and 15k emergency/surprise repair? A $2k repair I can live with. A $5k repair would hurt but depending on what it is I may/may not keep the car. For a $15k repair I would probably look at getting a different car.
Given it has an allstate warranty, that shuld protect you against catastrophic ($15k) issues. Since the only super expensive failures ARE power-train.

Id self insure for the other stuff.

Are you 100% sure about the allstate plan? In your name, in your hand, etc etc?

To get a full warranty- platium I thnk they call it now- on that X6 might cost $5k. I hink the odds of exceeding that on 'non-powertrain' stuff is 10%.

Numbers drawn from my ass....

GL

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Which is just another reason to steer clear of the dealer after your warranty has expired.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
'Are you 100% sure about the allstate plan? In your name, in your hand, etc etc? '

Yes, I have the completed documentation. Considering I have that, plus a mechanic that I trust, I'll probably just bank the money towards an extended warranty in case I need to use it. Thanks all for your feedback!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts