BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a 2013 650i xDrive at a local BMW dealer. The car is fully loaded, and is a local one-owner car coming off lease. It has 36k miles and remaining factory warranty till next March. Drives great, looks great.

However, it is not eligible for the Certified warranty. Apparently -- judging from the CarFax -- while the owner did the free recommended service at the dealer, he took it a few times inbetween to a local Valvoline place for what CarFax is calling "fluid checks." Whether or not he was doing extra oil changes or just having them top off the fluids, not sure.

9608 -- Fluids checked Valvoline

16096 -- Fluids checked Valvoline

22542 -- BMW service at dealer (oil changed)

30212 -- Fluids checked Valvoline

35171 -- Fluids checked Valvoline

36769 -- BMW service at dealer (oil changed)

Reading the recently posted Extended Vehicle Protection contract, I see an exclusion that reads "Repairs replacements or maintenance services performed by a facility other than a Repair Facility as defined ..."

Does that disqualify the car from being covered under the BMW extended warranty? Or, would that give BMW an "out" on any engine or transmission repair because the owner had extra services performed but not at the dealer?

If that's the case, a Fidelity or CNA warranty might be a better choice?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Yup, not eligible to be certified if the vehicle was not brought to the dealer for recommended oil changes at least one a year. The fact that Valvoline was working on would make me run. The owner probably had them put in their cheapest non BMW spec oil.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I just got off the phone with the Valvoline place ... they never did any service on it, all they did was top it off with a quart of synthetic here and there.

The 650i does have a reputation for using oil.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts