BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum. Great.

I bought a used 2008 Z4 3.0 Si. with 15K miles about a year ago. I do not drive it in the winter, but I did put about 12K miles on it, and will probably put about the same if not more this year and in future. I'm outside of Philly PA.

I'm looking for advice on the value of purchasing the Extended Warranty and or the Extended Maintenance coverage. The Maintenance is about $1900, and the dealer is getting back to me with the cost of the Warranty I would probably look at the 7 yr/70K GOLD. I'm open for thought on this as well.

I've seen this discussion in the forum previously, but none of it quite applied to me. So forgive me if this question seems repetitive.

Other thoughts I had was possibly to try to replace the brakes myself if needed, and find a local independent shop for other service if needed. Reading numerous posts makes me think I may be able to change the brakes, although I have never done it.

Anyway, I appreciate the time and advice and the availability of a forum like this. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
If you are driving 12K/yr you will be at around 75K by the 7yr end point. It would seem the warranty could possibly work for you. You can check and see what inspections will be needed during this period and get prices from your dealer. It could be you will come out ahead especially if brakes are needed. That being said, if you DIY repairs when you can and use indie shops when you can't, you could end up saving even more over the period. Just think what you could do with the cash you will be spending now on possible future repairs/maintenance by investing it and pulling it out of your repair fund as needed. This is the only true way to know you are getting the full use of your money. With a warranty, you are betting the car will need work and the warranty company is betting against it.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
If you care to take a wrench to the car (oil/brakes/etc) then I would not bother. Take the couple thousand and stick it in the bank and use it it required.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the thoughts. I have a few months to decide. I'm going to look into doing the brakes myself, and if I'm up for the challange I think I'll hold off on the service warranty. The repairs warranty looks like it will run somewhere in the 3K's. I think I may rather have that in my account.

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts