BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a mailing today from an outfit called National Vehicle Headquarters with the subject line "Re: Automotive Product Consultants, Inc"

From my experiences this past year with my car, I regret not getting an extended plan when I bought the car. I know you get get an extnded plan at anytime via the dealer, but it's pricey. I intend to keep the car awhile, but have no desire to shell out huge $$ after the standard plan expires at 50K (I'm halfway there already). If I had had to pay for all the service visits and work done to date, this would have equated to thousands of dollars.

Basically, they're pitching an extended warranty, good for 5 years or 100,000 miles. The plan is backed by Virginia Surety whom they say is "the #1 provider of extended service contracts nationwide". The warranty is transferable and includes roadside assistance.

I haven't called them yet as it's a holiday weekend. But I'm curious - has anyone else gotten an offer like this? Are they legit? Has anyone heard of Virginia Surety??

Opinions welcome.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Someone correct me if I wrong, but I thought you could still buy the extended warranty from the dealer as long as your original warranty hadn't expired yet? Or was that for the maintenance??

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SchwartzBlack said:
Someone correct me if I wrong, but I thought you could still buy the extended warranty from the dealer as long as your original warranty hadn't expired yet? Or was that for the maintenance??
Right, you can (check my original post), but it's very expensive.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Why not just simply CPO your car? "Daniel" recently did and could possbily comment on the pricing...

·
10,856 Posts
325xi-SteelGray said:
Why not just simply CPO your car? "Daniel" recently did and could possbily comment on the pricing...
Judging by his experience, it's absurdly expensive. :(

·
Registered
319 Posts
Judging by his experience, it's absurdly expensive.
I hadn't seen Daniel's post about being screwed on pricing, all around. When I spoke with him last he thouht it would be around $1k. It also seems he wasn't charged properly according to Jon. Then again Jon also states it should never be allowed... :dunno:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
geomax said:

12 complaints over three years. Doesn't seem like a lot. But why bother going through this firm when you can deal directly with the surety company. :dunno:
Virginia Surety

As with all warrantees the devil is in the details and cost. The insurer is out to make a profit. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ObD said:

Virginia Surety

As with all warrantees the devil is in the details and cost. The insurer is out to make a profit. YMMV.
Oh, no doubt. The last time I spoke to my dealer about this, they qouted me something like $2000+ for the extended warranty, payable over "12 easy payments". BMW doesn't mind making a profit either...

But...if I keep this car for 5 years, I know there will be much more than $2000 in "non-routine" maintenance work, if the current trend continues. So, and extended plan may be the lesser of the evils.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
From what I am reading, the third party plans are about $300 - 400 less than the BMW plan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts