BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize this question probably does not have a definite answer but hope to get some inputs from the experts in this forum to help me decide.

I'm buying a 2014 328i certified pre-owned from a dealer. 20K miles on it. I get the factory warranty 4 yr / 50K and then also CPO coverage till 2020. (6 yr / 100K) without any additional $. The dealer is offering me 8 yr / 100k "platinum" care through a company called Easycare for additional $2500. I drive only ~8K-10K miles/yr so its only for the years not miles that I would consider it. If I do plan to keep the car for 6+ yrs, is the $2500 worth for 2 yrs more of coverage? thoughts?

I had a 1999 528i till now and did not have any extended warranty on it and did end up spending quite a bit on repairs over the years, although it was probably more in the last 5 yrs or so. hence the consideration now...but perhaps the average repairs is lower on the newer models?

·
Casual Fanatic
2,192 Posts
If you're good to go until 2020, I'd say nix the warranty. You may not even have the car that long.

·
Registered
13,462 Posts
To OP, do read the fine prints of the extra extended warranty. Most ESCs(including BMW's CPO and ESC) have clauses to limit the aggregate payout for repairs, and that cap is usually tied to NADA at time of current repair. So by year [email protected](e.g.), while the car is worth, say, $5k(e.g.), the max. payout will not exceed $5k. That scenario may still be OK since it is more than $2500(the costs of the extra warranty).

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
you're still under the original bumper to bumper all inclusive warranty for another 2 years and then the CPO until 2020. why not wait 2 years until the original warranty is up to decide? in the meantime, there may also be other platinum secondary warranty companies out there where you can buy coverage.

·
Officially Something ...
393 Posts
Blow it Off

Your best bet:

Time the Factory covered checkups and services to be just prior to the "in service date" of your vehicle.

Make the appointments a month in advance. Make sure it gets in there.

Get the last one done on time, one or two weeks prior to the expiration of the Factory Warranty. Just work with the SA to plan the date for all $ coverage.

Decide then ... after the last Factory paid service ... but prior to the expiration of your option to buy extended Factory coverage.

Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts