BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am nearing a deal on a 2014 535i xDrive w/28k miles. Factory warranty through Aug 2017, CPO through 2019. If I wanted to extend factory either during buying cycle or prior to end of factory, what is best option? Are there dealers that crank these out at reasonable profit margins, regardless of what dealer you bought car from?

I realize that during negotiations is best opportunity for my dealer selling it to me, but to at least keep them honest, or have alternative if not in line. Platinum 6 year/100k would be my target as I drive around 20,000 miles per year. What can I expect to pay from a fair price perspective.

Thanks.

Ted

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I am nearing a deal on a 2014 535i xDrive w/28k miles. Factory warranty through Aug 2017, CPO through 2019. If I wanted to extend factory either during buying cycle or prior to end of factory, what is best option? Are there dealers that crank these out at reasonable profit margins, regardless of what dealer you bought car from?

I realize that during negotiations is best opportunity for my dealer selling it to me, but to at least keep them honest, or have alternative if not in line. Platinum 6 year/100k would be my target as I drive around 20,000 miles per year. What can I expect to pay from a fair price perspective.

Thanks.

Ted
The pricing seems to be all over the map (I think it depends on the car model?), and there is no reliable pricing on this on bimmerfest, despite multiple attempts from people over the years.

In order to purchase the warranty, the car has to be present at the dealer (this is BMWs rule... some dealers "might" bend this, but this is current policy from what I have read).

I believe the warranty can be purchased at any time prior to the expiration of the regular factory warranty. I dont know if the CPO extends that, but since the CPO warranty does not cover the same thing as the factory warranty, I would think you would want to make sure you purchased any extended warranty before the end of the factory warranty.

·
Registered
376 Posts
What coverage did you end up with? I know the question/pressure will be on me when I sit with the financing people.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took advice of board and am keeping factory and then CPO. I just sold my previous car and will take that money and put in a special savings account for any out of pocket repairs. The nice thing is, all claims will be approved! Good luck!

·
Registered
376 Posts
I took advice of board and am keeping factory and then CPO. I just sold my previous car and will take that money and put in a special savings account for any out of pocket repairs. The nice thing is, all claims will be approved! Good luck!
What do you mean by that? Did you mean because you're using your own money, all claims will be approved? :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
The pricing definitely varies by model and depending on the CPO there are "wraps" to extend further.

From VIN, the dealer can pull the retail report on what options exist, (warranty and maintenance extensions).

I've recently done warranty and maintenance extensions on a 2104, 2015 and two 2016's to have piece of mind. There is a little benefit to having the vehicle below 10,000 miles to get the lowest price. Otherwise it's really shopping around with few of the key dealers (finance managers) who discount off retail and work off the key fob, (if needed). Rule is to have vehicle in person ... but some will work with you ... in one case I was within 100 miles so no key read was necessary; in other case I mailed the key.

End of month also seems to attract a little more aggressive results.

One other factor ... going out of state is NO TAX which is usually 6%+ depending on your state. I like to buy my cars where I service them so they take care me in over the life of the car. Warranty is fair game in my opinion.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I am the warranty claim manager when it is my money thaibruin. BeerguySQ4, not sure how you get out of tax, but as soon as you re-enter your state, you must title/register in your state and they will get their 6%. At least in my State and an above board transaction.

·
Registered
22 Posts
NO TAX on the warranty or maintenance extension bought out of state. Warranty and Maintenance extensons on 5-series can be $5K plus ... so every little bit helps.
Agree on car ... once you register you will pay tax

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah.... now I understand. ;o)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2011 550i with 63K on the odometer. CPO ends this year. I talked to the finance guy at my usual dealership and they'll extend the CPO for 1 more year at $2500.

Sound like a decent price?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I recently purchased a 2013 535xi. Factory coverage until December and 2 year cpo. I asked about extended warranty and was told none available. What gives?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I recently purchased a 2013 535xi. Factory coverage until December and 2 year cpo. I asked about extended warranty and was told none available. What gives?
I find that pretty hard to believe. Those finance people are always primed and ready to sell you an expensive warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The only qualification the finance guy said was it had to be in CPO currently and had to be under 65k miles. It was a hard stop at 65k. So I gotta decide within the month or so what I'm going to do. I'm frankly a bit frightened to keep this car without a warranty. So far the CPO has done oil pan gaskets (2k or so), oil block gasket (1200), and valve seals (7k). Seems to me 2500 is a good price, just curious if thats true or if I could get a better price by shopping dealerships.

·
Registered
22 Posts
. Seems to me 2500 is a good price, just curious if thats true or if I could get a better price by shopping dealerships.
I sent a PM with additional information.

I've used Jeff Steel at Passport BMW and recently John Moyer at Erhard BMW with excellent results

·
Registered
381 Posts
The only qualification the finance guy said was it had to be in CPO currently and had to be under 65k miles. It was a hard stop at 65k. So I gotta decide within the month or so what I'm going to do. I'm frankly a bit frightened to keep this car without a warranty. So far the CPO has done oil pan gaskets (2k or so), oil block gasket (1200), and valve seals (7k). Seems to me 2500 is a good price, just curious if thats true or if I could get a better price by shopping dealerships.
Not sure about the price, but personally I would not drive an N63 car without a warranty. As always, these things are a matter of personal preference/risk tolerance.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I don't know what to do, laugh or cry. I cannot comprehend how on earth it is OK per BMW to spend 7K on repairs on a car that has a value of 25K (previously I read about an owner who's 2011 550xi with 70K miles needed 12K in repairs). It will come to a time when the repairs will outweigh the value at the car, which is fine when you have a 10+ years old vehicle, but expenses like this with these new models. :thumbdwn:This is insanity:mad:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Repair costs on BMW's are nuts. I wish I had done my research better before buying it. I've been wanting a BMW with a turbo'd V8 since I was a teenager, a dream car for me really. So I was a bit lax in my homework. Fine german engineering is there, but its there in performance and neat gadgets, not in reliability.

As far as the cost goes, I'm guessing 7K to do the valve seals is what it would have cost me if I was paying. Its all labor and I'm betting that under CPO/Warranty the cost is actually a lot less in terms of actual money that BMW spends to sort it. No markups and whatnot. :dunno:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts