Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am coming up on 2 years ownership of our 2017 BMW 330. We had it built new and have had a fair share of minor nuances with the car where it went back to the dealership quite a bit (and soon to go back for apple carplay).

Question is, if i opt to get the extended warranty or service plan, is this able to be shopped around? My ducati and my Jeep, i was able to shop around the extended warranty and get them cheaper at other dealers. Jeep has a lifetime warranty also that is covered by Mopar.

Just seeing whats out there because if the precedent is set that i take the car now in, i'm sure i will be taking the car in after the warranty has expired as well

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I have seen mixed reports on this. I have GEICO MBI which will cover me for an additional 3 years after my BMW warranty expires for a $250 per incident copay. But one must not only have GEICO but must sign up within 15 months of new purchase so that is not an option for you.

·
Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,205 Posts
I am coming up on 2 years ownership of our 2017 BMW 330. We had it built new and have had a fair share of minor nuances with the car where it went back to the dealership quite a bit (and soon to go back for apple carplay).

Question is, if i opt to get the extended warranty or service plan, is this able to be shopped around? My ducati and my Jeep, i was able to shop around the extended warranty and get them cheaper at other dealers. Jeep has a lifetime warranty also that is covered by Mopar.

Just seeing whats out there because if the precedent is set that i take the car now in, i'm sure i will be taking the car in after the warranty has expired as well
Many warranties, including BMW's, don't cover most electronic problems. In BMW's case, you have to pay extra for the electronic warranty to gain coverage.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many warranties, including BMW's, don't cover most electronic problems. In BMW's case, you have to pay extra for the electronic warranty to gain coverage.
many warranties as in, extended warranties? I have a few electronic issues with this car and the factory warranty has covered it. I have not had many mechanical issues with this car as of yet, small concerns, and quality concerns but nothing to not drive the car.

·
former motorcycle rider
766 Posts
I concur that likely most extended warranties will not cover those annoying problems with the infotainment systems.

But you should have two more years of factory warranty to give you plenty of time to shake out these issues.

·
Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,205 Posts
many warranties as in, extended warranties? I have a few electronic issues with this car and the factory warranty has covered it. I have not had many mechanical issues with this car as of yet, small concerns, and quality concerns but nothing to not drive the car.
For my E90 335d, there are/were three levels of warranty coverage available (in addition to options for length): Bronze (engine/drivetrain only), Gold (bronze + most things), and Platinum (which covered electronics).
View attachment BMW Warranty.pdf

·
Registered
5,495 Posts

You can buy the warranty at any BMW dealer, if that is what you are asking. They do quote different prices. However you have to take the car itself to the dealer. you used to be able to just send the key, which led to a lot more competition and lower prices. unfortunately all good things and all that. Good luck. N4S

·
Registered
3,176 Posts

Extended warranty is not the same as extended service. Different products.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts