Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this has been discussed more than once but i cant find any direct info on this topic.

I have a 2017 330i M-sport that is coming up on being 2 years old. The warranty and service contract expires at the 3 year / 36k mile mark (thanks to the leasing options that BMW wanted to better align themselves with).

So with that, the car has about 14k miles on it. I am looking to see what others have thought of the extended warranty from BMW, worth it? why or why not? is this car that reliable where they dont have many issues? we plan to keep the car the long haul 10+ years 100k+ miles. I want to make sure all is good. With that said, i know the extended warranty has paid for itself on other cars (2014 JGC).

If the extended is worth it, is it able to be shopped around? do different dealers offer better pricing?

TIA

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I am sure this has been discussed more than once but i cant find any direct info on this topic.

I have a 2017 330i M-sport that is coming up on being 2 years old. The warranty and service contract expires at the 3 year / 36k mile mark (thanks to the leasing options that BMW wanted to better align themselves with).

So with that, the car has about 14k miles on it. I am looking to see what others have thought of the extended warranty from BMW, worth it? why or why not? is this car that reliable where they dont have many issues? we plan to keep the car the long haul 10+ years 100k+ miles. I want to make sure all is good. With that said, i know the extended warranty has paid for itself on other cars (2014 JGC).

If the extended is worth it, is it able to be shopped around? do different dealers offer better pricing?

TIA
it does not

·
Registered
214 Posts

TIA
Your dealer can make adjustments to the price but it's a matter of getting a reasonable deal. I keep cars about 5 years and drive about 15k a year so I got the smallest option available for 75k miles for around $800.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats not terrible, another 25k miles for $800.. ( i miss quoted the warranty, its 4/50k, service is 3/36k).

So dealer to dealer the price will be different for these warranties though? Its worth shopping it around?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
worth shopping around but I***8217;ve never heard anybody be a fan of the economics of extended service ....... pretty sure your warranty is 48 months / 50,000 miles ...... mine is on the 2017 330i M-Sport .....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Warranty

Fwiw....I would look for a quality BMW dealer/service center that has been dealing with the same independent extended warranty company for a while. When you buy the independent warranty from a bimmer dealer they are more likely to seamlessly process any claims. They should be your ally for claims. This would be as opposed to you buying a warranty from a independent company that your bmw center does not typically work with. Speak to the BMW service adviser and ask if they sell a good independent warranty through most likely the finance dept. You will pay more money this way but will have peace of mind. I have done this on several cars and it works really well.

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,055 Posts

TIA
Warranty is 4 years/50K miles.

Included service is 3 years/36K miles.

I would not prepay for extending the service program. You've got plenty of time to decide if you feel you want an extended warranty.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Warranty is 4 years/50K miles.

Included service is 3 years/36K miles.

I would not prepay for extending the service program. You've got plenty of time to decide if you feel you want an extended warranty.
You are right, as i stated above, i miss spoke.

I did ask about the warranty service when i was buying my car and they did tell me that the price for each would go up as it gets closer to the factory expiration. Also, they stated BMW will not do an extended warranty if the factory runs out. FWIW.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Warranty

Hi,
The current extended warranty I bought from my local BMW dealer is not a sold or backed by BMW factory. It is and independent warranty company that my BMW dealer has dealt with for several years. I would think not every BMW dealer has an independent extended warranty company they sell and deal with. You might have to call a couple of BMW dealers, if you have that option in your market. I have bought independent warranties from Motorwerks on a 911 I had a while ago and from Knauz BMW on my current car. Just another option you might pursue. Every body has a different take on an extended warranty. Some are all about pondering if the potential future repairs done under the extended warranty would have cost you more than the cost of the warranty. The main reason I buy the warranty is for peace of mind. These cars depreciate like crazy. I am going to keep my car till about 90k miles and I put about 9k a year. I know that if my trans needs to be replaced in year 7 Im not faced with the tough decision I would have had if I had no warranty. The decision would be is my car is in terrific shape, I still enjoy it and really dont see the need plunk down big dollars for a new/newer car just yet. However my car is only worth about what the trans cost to replace. Not a great position to be in.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
You are right, as i stated above, i miss spoke.

I did ask about the warranty service when i was buying my car and they did tell me that the price for each would go up as it gets closer to the factory expiration. Also, they stated BMW will not do an extended warranty if the factory runs out. FWIW.
You need to think more about the probability that covered repairs will exceed the premium for an extended warranty. You are essentially prepaying the cost of some unidentified repairs with the expectation that they will go higher. The early problems we all encounter with a new car will have been taken care of under the factory warranty. I think the chances are good that repairs will be low during the extended warranty term. It's the out years beyond 100k miles that things begin to wear out.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Thats not terrible, another 25k miles for $800.. ( i miss quoted the warranty, its 4/50k, service is 3/36k).

So dealer to dealer the price will be different for these warranties though? Its worth shopping it around?
Your car is two years old and your warranty has another 2 years to go! Why concern yourself with it now!:dunno:

Joe:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
i bought my warranty right at the end of the current factory warranty. I purchased from a dealer that is on the site here and has a good deal on them.

I bought the 7 year 100k warranty for my x1 with n20 engine. I'm in my 6th year with 75k.

I have had the following replaced: driver door actuary, and this week will have replaced the oil filter housing gasket and the valve cover gasket with a new valve cover. It has paid for itself.

All a matter on if you keep the car.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your car is two years old and your warranty has another 2 years to go! Why concern yourself with it now!:dunno:

Joe:)
i am concerning with it now as i was told by BMW that the earlier i get the extended the better the deal would be. The closer to the expiration of my factory, the more money the extended warranty would be. SO, i would rather save as much as I can on the extended as i am almost positive i will be getting it. these new fangled machines have more goodies to go wrong in them that tend to cost a little more money. Plus, gotta drive it like ya stole it

·
Registered
5 Posts
i bought my warranty right at the end of the current factory warranty. I purchased from a dealer that is on the site here and has a good deal on them.

I bought the 7 year 100k warranty for my x1 with n20 engine. I'm in my 6th year with 75k.

I have had the following replaced: driver door actuary, and this week will have replaced the oil filter housing gasket and the valve cover gasket with a new valve cover. It has paid for itself.

All a matter on if you keep the car.
Do you mind saying who the dealer is?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As i see the thread about the timing chain issue on the N20 engine, and they added it to be 7/70k for the warranty, it makes it even more prevalent to get the extended warranty for these cars as there are some very big issues that these cars can have and are known to have.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts