BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just checked with the BMW dealer and can buy an extended warranty for my 2001 530i. It is very comprehensive and will cost me $2,900.00 Cdn for an additional 80K Km or 4 years, which ever comes first. I have 37K Km on the car righ now and it has been pretty much problem free. My question is, "Do you all think that it is worth the money to buy the extended warranty?"

:dunno:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes I just got my tranny rebuild for 3000.00 and wish i was able to get the extended warranty for my 540i. get it get it get it!!!!!!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fine print

I am reading through the fine print on the warranty and see that they even have a guaranteed price rebate of up to 100% of the cost of the warranty if no claims are made during the warranty period. This pretty much takes the risk away from buying the warranty.

Everything is covered except: throttle body, battery, battery cables, wiper arms, headlamp assemblies, circuit breakers, cup holders, ashtrays, dash pads, seat frames, door handles and hinges, shock absorbers, pipes/hoses/lines/rubber brake hoses (except power steering pressure hose, steel ari conditioning lines and steel brake lines), bolts, nuts, fasteners, standard transmission clutch assembly, manual clutch disc/pressure plate & bushings/bearings, manual and hydraulic linkages, seconday ignition components, safety restraint systems, glass, lenses, sealed beams, light bulbs, fuses, cellular phones, brake rotors and drums, exhaust and emission systems, catalytic converter, weather strips, run channels, trim, mouldings, bright metal, chrome, upholstery and carpet, paint, bumpers, frame and structural body parts, tires, rims, wind noise, squeaks, and water leaks.

It sounds like it might be worth the money...

·
Hawks RULE!
1,166 Posts
For those of us not thinking Canadian:

2,900 Canadian Dollar = 2,574.73 US Dollar

80,000 kilometer = 49,710 miles

$2574US for 50k miles seems kind of steep. I imagine it's not a warranty backed by BMW (third party handler?) I know several people who purchased "non-BMW aftermarket warranties" only to find out most things aren't covered. And those that were required a fight to get reimbursement.

Just something to think about. It's a long shot bet that your engine or tranny would have serious failure within the first 75,000 miles. (120km) :dunno:

-Cago

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for doing the conversions to USA

You are right in that it is a 3rd party and it is not backed by BMW. BMW is selling it though and require that I have a full inspection before qualifying me to even purchase the warranty. This costs $135.00 USD. Also there is a $180.00 USD deductible on any claim and also on the price rebate.

Lookin a bit further I am seeing that the emission system may not be covered as well but it is hard to determine this from the wording.

Thinking a bit further on this it would seem that I would only buy it if I thought there was a high probability of the transmission or engine failure. Given the research I have done on this car it seems highly unlikely that this would happen in under 120K Km. Hmmmm???

Any thoughts on this???

·
I glow in the dark
580 Posts
I also purchased a 3rd party warranty , but decided to refund my money, after I had read all the stuff they cover and did not cover, it was like reading a book. Let me tell you getting my refund was a bitch it took me over 3 months just to get my 2500 back. they tried so hard to keep my money :(. which 3rd party warranty is this ? Ultimate warranty ?

and yes you are right after you fix your car , you will have to file a claim with your warranty company and then its up to them if you get your money or not, so buying a 3rd party warranty is so so i think, now if it was a BMW dealer warranty then sure get it no questions, but usually bmw's extended warranty only offers oil change and maintance some other thing, and it is like.. $1200 for 2 years i think. it does not cover engine and other mechanical things.

read the things they cover... i think its all mechanical engine failure , transmission , windows motor its just a few tihngs they cover. the stuff they dont cover has a big list. i just dont think its worth $2500 , I will save that money take a chance :p

·
Hawks RULE!
1,166 Posts
flyboyy said:
a BMW dealer warranty then sure get it no questions, but usually bmw's extended warranty only offers oil change and maintance some other thing, and it is like.. $1200 for 2 years i think. it does not cover engine and other mechanical things.

read the things they cover... i think its all mechanical engine failure , transmission , windows motor its just a few tihngs they cover. the stuff they dont cover has a big list. i just dont think its worth $2500 , I will save that money take a chance :p
I think you're confusing BMW's "extended maintainance" with "extended warranty".

Maintainance covers oil changes, brakes/rotors, inspections, wipers, etc.

Warranty covers the mechanicals/electricals- minus the list of exceptions.

-Cago

·
I glow in the dark
580 Posts
cagoguy said:
I think you're confusing BMW's "extended maintainance" with "extended warranty".

Maintainance covers oil changes, brakes/rotors, inspections, wipers, etc.

Warranty covers the mechanicals/electricals- minus the list of exceptions.

-Cago
actually maybe my wording was wrong , yes BMW offers 2 types of warranties , 1 extended warranty and other is extended maintaince warranty which you can get after your factory warranty is about to expire for a price around $1200, and if bmw it was bmw itself who offers you the warranty and not a third party I would definately get it. I had refunded my money from the 3rd party for extended warranty because of all the bs things they had that is not cover, and I had to file a claim with them inorder to get my money which i think is a hassle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts