Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 F10 550i M Sport with about 18k miles. The Factory warranty is about to expire.
I plan on keeping the car for at least 2 more years. So far, the only major issue has been, (and it was 2 weeks ago) was a fuel injector and related spark plug malfunctioned and the car had to be flat bedded to the dealer. It hardly ran after it was warmed up and smelled like gas inside the car. They replaced the injector and spark plug and it is back to normal.

I asked about a BMW extended warranty for 2 years and they quoted $5k, which is about 20% of the value of the car now. I'm thinking I can fix a lot that may go wrong for $5K. In two years I'll probably put another 20k miles on it or so. I also have a good BMW shop nearby besides the dealer, but I like the dealer as well.

But I also have a 2015 X5 5.0 with 60k on it. Bought new. The engines I believe are the same. Before the 50k warranty expiration, that engine went through at least 4 ignition coils, (once, two at the same time), 2 fuel injectors, 2 fuel tank pumps and various steering rack issues and a few other things. It was towed into the dealer at least 4 times.

This car I plan on keeping the X5 until this summer. It's been a great car but with high maintenance. Most issues started at around 35K miles. Before that it was problemless. The last problem was at 49,500 miles.

The X5 replaced a Lexus GX, that had no problems at all until 165k miles, when the reverse band in the transmission went out and then it was sold. No problems whatsoever, except for regular maintenance. I never took it back to the dealer one time for any warranty item.
But it wasn't really fun to drive either.

Is the 2019 5.0 any better? What about the $5k warranty for 2 years for the 550?
Thanks for any opinions.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Is the 2019 5.0 any better? What about the $5k warranty for 2 years for the 550?
Thanks for any opinions.
Seems like a LOT of money for the warranty. Like you said, you can do a lot of repairs for $5K! You don't drive a lot so, IMHO, the warranty would be a waste of money. I would just save the money and enjoy the drive.

As far as I know the 2019 is the N63TU2 and yours is the N63TU. My service dept. says the V8 has design flaws; not the least of which is all the heat amplified in the engine valley. In the end, it will probably be as reliable as the N63TU. As more miles and time rack up on the "TU", we will see if BMW corrected the N63 problem.

·
Go Dawgs!
1,062 Posts
Can you turn a wrench? Do you like/have the ability/desire to do some or all of your own maintenance and repairs?

If the answer to the above is “yes,” then I have two parts of your answer:

1) Mike Miller’s Old School Maintenance,” and

2) https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-xdrive-lim/

NewTIS has step-by-step repair guides for literally every system and subsystem on your car; and it’s completely free.

People freak out about working on these cars because they’re “BMWs” <insert AAAHHHHHH>, but at the end of the day, they are just cars, assembled by boys and girls with probably less education and knowledge than you. They are very well engineered, of course (!), and the folks assembling them are really good at what they do, but at the end of the day these are mechanical devices that can be assembled, torn apart, and put back together again.

To wit: I just did an R-&-R of a blown turbocharger on my wife’s F10. Am I a pro? LOL, no, I’m a weekend hack. Do I have the tools? Sure, but nothing special, (except an engine support bar I had to buy for $110). Was I nervous about taking it on. For sure! BUT, armed with a little confidence, and NewTIS, I jumped in and did it. It cost me about $3,000 for parts and who knows how many hours, but the stealership wanted almost $12K for the work I was able to do myself. Saved $9,000 by my math, the car runs great, and I’m proud of the work I did.

I’m replacing that 8-year old F10 with a new G30 M550i this summer. Gone are the 5-year/50,000 mile warranties of the past. Am I worried that I’m getting into a money pit that will require an extended warranty and stress? NOPE! Two reasons:

1) Mike Miller’s Old School Maintenance,” and

2) NewTIS already has all the G30 repair guides available online for free.

You got this!

My $0.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
31 Posts
If I had a 2015 car with only 18k miles and planed to keep it only two more years I would NOT purchase a warranty for any amount. Now, if you said you wanted to keep it for 10 more years or 150k miles that is a different story.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
if i had a 2015 car with only 18k miles and planed to keep it only two more years i would not purchase a warranty for any amount. Now, if you said you wanted to keep it for 10 more years or 150k miles that is a different story.
+1

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
If I had a 2015 car with only 18k miles and planed to keep it only two more years I would NOT purchase a warranty for any amount. Now, if you said you wanted to keep it for 10 more years or 150k miles that is a different story.
I paid around $3k for a 4 year warranty. I agree with the above comment that I wouldn't pay for a warranty if I didn't think I was keeping the car at least through the end of the warranty.

·
Registered
50 Posts
From what I can remember, the BMW extended warranty is also transferable and might add value to your car down the road but I opted not to get the warranty as what they were quoting me was outrageous!

·
Registered
34 Posts
You should check out GWC. They have a 3 year/36,000 mile exclusionary warranty that matches BMW's basic 4 yr 50k factory warranty. It should cost considerably less than 5k

·
Registered
275 Posts
Don't listen to others here saying no warranty. As you know for sure, you have to have a warranty if you want to own any German car out of factory warranty. The more you know the car, the more you would think you need the warranty. You will regret not having warranty when the moment comes. The part itself is very expensive. Also these days the way how they design the car will make you pay lots of money for the labor. Even if you have a service manual and know how to repair, you will have to spend multiple weeks on the cold floor of your garage. It doesn't worth. Just pay upfront and keep the peace in your mind.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Don't listen to others here saying no warranty. As you know for sure, you have to have a warranty if you want to own any German car out of factory warranty. The more you know the car, the more you would think you need the warranty. You will regret not having warranty when the moment comes. The part itself is very expensive. Also these days the way how they design the car will make you pay lots of money for the labor. Even if you have a service manual and know how to repair, you will have to spend multiple weeks on the cold floor of your garage. It doesn't worth. Just pay upfront and keep the peace in your mind.
There is a point where no warranty will be available. Higher mileage for example.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I drive my cars between 100,000 to 203,000 miles from new and have never purchased an extended warranty. I'm already after 25 years or so and many fancy German cars at least $25,000 ahead. No repairs to speak of before a "normal" extended warranty would have expired. Yes I did have some expensive repairs but way after 100,000 miles and not amounting to more than $5,000 total.

But I don't abuse my fine machinery and do all the required maintenance including "early" transmission oil change with synthetic where possible.

People wait to buy my cars knowing how well they are taken care of. One, a modern Mercedes diesel, has gone past 350,000 miles with its new owner and no major problems.

I consider extended warranties a rip-off as the value has to be a lot less than cost, especially when the insurance inevitably denies a lot of "wear and tear" or sets prices too low.

PL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts