BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We drive a 1999 323i 4 door sedan. The other night the car just stopped on a road and the temperature gauge was noticed to be all the way in the hot category. It turns out that the dealer to which the car was towed has indicated that the thermostat had failed and that the expansion tank cracked. Under the circumstances they recommended replacing the radiator, the radiator cap as well as the hoses, thermostat and the expansion tank which I since understand are routinely replaced when a car overheats. Once all above was fixed and they added fluids it turns out that the heater inlet pipe had also cracked. We realized that the thermostat had been replaced at another BMW dealership less than 18 months ago and, therefore, was still under warranty which this other dealership was going to honor. Two questions: If the faulty thermostat was under warranty, should we expect BMW to cover parts and labor for all parts which failed because of failure of thermostat (i.e., cracked expansion tank, thermostat, heater inlet pipe)? Does it matter that the initial thermostat repair was done at one BMW dealership and these second repairs were being done at another? Does the cracked heater inlet pipe mean that the engine overheating that shut down the car could have permanently damaged the engine if they found that no water and oil had mixed?

Thanks.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,315 Posts
This is a rather complex chain of events, but IMHO, logic would dictate that the thermostat was the weak link in the chain that led to a "domino effect" here, and as such, I think the average person would expect the first dealer to accept at least *some* of the liability, but I kinda think you`ll have to fight for this one....good luck !

Regards,
Bob

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
This is a rather complex chain of events, but IMHO, logic would dictate that the thermostat was the weak link in the chain that led to a "domino effect" here, and as such, I think the average person would expect the first dealer to accept at least *some* of the liability, but I kinda think you`ll have to fight for this one....good luck !

Regards,
Bob
Good assesment (as always) Bob. But I seriously doubt you can win this fight, I hope you do.:thumbup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts