BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife just got her new to us 2014 535i. At the dealership we went through everything as this was our first bimmer. Today when she got home she had left the windows down in the backseats. She says she got out and noticed the Windows down. Then she noticed something sticking out of the roof above the window in the rear seat. She states that she pushed it down and the Windows closed. I do see that above each rear window is the outline of something that is about 5 inches long and 3/4 inches wide. I tried to recreate the situation and can't. Has anyone ever heard of this?

·
Fastpaddler
950 Posts
So my wife just got her new to us 2014 535i. At the dealership we went through everything as this was our first bimmer. Today when she got home she had left the windows down in the backseats. She says she got out and noticed the Windows down. Then she noticed something sticking out of the roof above the window in the rear seat. She states that she pushed it down and the Windows closed. I do see that above each rear window is the outline of something that is about 5 inches long and 3/4 inches wide. I tried to recreate the situation and can't. Has anyone ever heard of this?
There are long pieces such as you mention which are for removing and replacing with a roof rack. That should not have anything to do with windows opening or closing. there is an automatic all windows opener system which opens all four windows and the sunroof.
Does that shed any light?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's makes much sense. I think she may be crazy! There is no way to close the windows with the key fob right? Although she said that peice was popped up and when she pressed it back down the windows closed. Hmmmmm!!!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
If the previous owner had coded the car, the windows can be closed by holding the lock button on the FOB; also if you have comfort access and she held onto the top of the door handle as she looked at the roof rack flap, that could have closed the windows.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,782 Posts
If the previous owner had coded the car, the windows can be closed by holding the lock button on the FOB; also if you have comfort access and she held onto the top of the door handle as she looked at the roof rack flap, that could have closed the windows.
In such a case, she wouldn't just have to "held onto the top of the door handle", but hold a finger on the ridged locking section of the handle. In either case, I call "Twilight Zone", until the procedure can be reenacted. Let the OP confirm whether pressing a finger on the ridged lock area of his door handle will close open windows. Yes or no. Why not go try it now? And, the rail pieces, covers for the ski rack attachment, just "popped up" by themselves? Something happened, the wife was "CYA", IMO.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I don't know how the remote works stateside, but this side of the pond holding the remote unlock button in opens all the windows, and holding the lock button in closes all the windows. It's a standard feature and doesn't need coding.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,782 Posts
I don't know how the remote works stateside, but this side of the pond holding the remote unlock button in opens all the windows, and holding the lock button in closes all the windows. It's a standard feature and doesn't need coding.
In the U.S., there is no standard remote closing of "anything", including the windows. I do believe one can have their car coded to have the FOB and/or CA handles close the windows and sunroof. But, all we need is for the OP to confirm whether his car, as currently configured/coded, will in fact, close open windows via the CA handle. Otherwise, there is simply no explanation for the reported scenario.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So I tried to close the windows both with the fob and then by touching the top of the ca handle. Both ways worked. It was not until I recreated the situation by flipping the little rack door up and simultaneously closing it while closing the windows by touching the top of the door handle, that she finally believed me that her car did not have some magical window closing body kit. She had just gotten back from the car wash and I'm sure that is how the little door was ajar in the first place. That solves this little mystery. Thank you!!!!
But now I'm wondering about the coding. This car must have been coded to close the windows and sunroof?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
That's makes much sense. I think she may be crazy! There is no way to close the windows with the key fob right? Although she said that peice was popped up and when she pressed it back down the windows closed. Hmmmmm!!!
How long have you two been married to only now say "I think she may be crazy"? I got news for ya....

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
This is a standard feature with cars with comfort access. I've ddemonstrated this many many times.

if your car doesn't have CA, you can open the wwindows thesame way. To close open wwindows or roof, use the insert key in the door handle and turn to the lock positionand hold it until everything is closed?

·
There is no spoon
1,964 Posts
In such a case, she wouldn't just have to "held onto the top of the door handle", but hold a finger on the ridged locking section of the handle. In either case, I call "Twilight Zone", until the procedure can be reenacted. Let the OP confirm whether pressing a finger on the ridged lock area of his door handle will close open windows. Yes or no. Why not go try it now? And, the rail pieces, covers for the ski rack attachment, just "popped up" by themselves? Something happened, the wife was "CYA", IMO.
Your finger on the ridge statement is untrue. Many times I have inadvertently locked/unlocked the vehicle while washing the roof of the vehicle without placing a finger on the ridge. I have even done the same when no water was present on the vehicle while placing the bike on the roof rack. I would bet OP's wife is fairly short and was leaning against the vehicle to see what was popped up on the roof.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,782 Posts
Your finger on the ridge statement is untrue. Many times I have inadvertently locked/unlocked the vehicle while washing the roof of the vehicle without placing a finger on the ridge. I have even done the same when no water was present on the vehicle while placing the bike on the roof rack. I would bet OP's wife is fairly short and was leaning against the vehicle to see what was popped up on the roof.
Yes, most of us have learned to leave the key inside the car while washing it, to avoid unintended locking/unlocking. That still wouldn't close the window, as reported. In any event, we now know the previous owner of the OP's car had it coded to close via CA and fob.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,782 Posts
What is CYA??
"cover your a$$" :). I was kind of kidding that she did "something", then made up the scenario -- all good, and glad you found the logical conclusion!

·
Registered
296 Posts
<snip>
But now I'm wondering about the coding. This car must have been coded to close the windows and sunroof?
Now you just need to find out what else has been coded on your car to make life more enjoyable! :thumbup: There are a lot of features that coding can make "aktiv". Find a good list and then go explore your car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts