BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this sewer cleaning crew comes through the city and ends up spraying this gunk straight up in the air onto my car =/ The mist put these small spots all over the back of the car... it hardened to what seems like super glue, stuck to the paint.

They're clear / light yellow, bubbles that are the size of the tip of a pen that are scattered everywhere on flat surfaces. A "medium" clay would not even phase these bumps.

I removed a few (with various METAL objects)... but lightly scratched the clear coat in the process. I've come to the conclusion that these cannot be removed without enough force to scratch the paint or some sort of dissolving chemical... which I don't want to try.

I have 3 questions...

1. Any tips to remove this myself?

2. If I can't do this myself, where should I go? I want a good reccomendation for a reliable place =]

3. If it turns out to be crazy expensive, should I ask the city to pay for it?

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
bug/tar remover :dunno:

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Clay would probably help too. Yes, if it's bad, I'd make a claim against whoever did it.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Mineral sprits would be a good starting point...apply to a cotton towel and let soak on the car for a few minutes, that will loosen up the spots, wash off with soapy water. Then I would clay to pickup what might be left, and I would also use a paint cleaner right after that.

·
Lover of Sharks
112 Posts
Firstly, there are plastic scrapers, etc. that would do less damage if that is the only way to get it off. Zymol HD Cleanse has worked for me on some pretty tough stuff.

I'd definitely contact the city and file a complaint - the longer you wait the harder it will be. Same is true of this gunk - if it is acidic, you are going to have big problems. You will probably be able to buff out any scratches unless you can feel them with your fingernail.

I don't know any detailers in your area - I'd check some local BMW boards and see who they recommend.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
1. Any tips to remove this myself?

2. If I can't do this myself, where should I go? I want a good reccomendation for a reliable place =]

3. If it turns out to be crazy expensive, should I ask the city to pay for it?
+1 on using mineral spirits, or perhaps acetone (I find acetone doesn't disolve clear coat, evaporates very fast, but disolves pretty much anything else.)

A professional detailer could probably remove it if you can't.

I see you are in California... It might be a pipe dream trying to get any municipality to cover your costs, given the general financial state out there. But who knows. Probably will take a long time to settle that approach, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts