BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound stupid, but..........
My car is black and all of the windows are tinted . My EZ Pass is white. That white square block sticks out like a sore thumb. I covered it with black "gorilla" tape. Now it isn't nearly as noticeable. I just need to figure a way to blacken the velcro strips. And yes it functions properly while going through the tolls. I was concerned about that .

·
only one screen name
8,456 Posts
This may sound stupid, but..........
My car is black and all of the windows are tinted . My EZ Pass is white. That white square block sticks out like a sore thumb. I covered it with black "gorilla" tape. Now it isn't nearly as noticeable. I just need to figure a way to blacken the velcro strips. And yes it functions properly while going through the tolls. I was concerned about that .
Don't they make like a suction cupped holster for it? Might help it be less noticeable.

·
Sandlapper Chapter
2,912 Posts
Some guys on the X5 board spraypainted the entire thing black (or whatever color needed) and that worked well.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Wow, I thought I was the only OCD suffering person who couldn't stand that WHITE box in my windshield!

I guess I didn't think of painting it....I had some of that "mole skin" you use on your interior and just covered the IPASS with that.

·
Banned
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EZ pass camo

I thought about painting it, however since it is not "my property" I did not want to be responsible to pay for it. The batteries don't last forever and eventually it needs to be exchanged to EZ pass for a new one. I'm not sure what the facts are. Maybe they are discarded, or maybe the batteries are replaced. With my luck, I'll get a bill for $100.00. I just don't want to take a chance. I can remove the tape, not the paint.

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
I read where someone stashed it behind their inspection/registration sticker and that worked well.

·
Run Far
367 Posts
The stuff they use isn't exactly Velcro. It's called mushroom head fasteners. A couple of companies make it, Target sells the 3M brand.

As for me, I don't use the tag too often, so holding it up while going thru the toll booth works. I hate having stuff like that on my windshield.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Some people can't use the EZ-Pass unit due to a coating or something in their windshield not allowing it to work. They get special units from the state agency which mounts near their license plate. I don't know what this unit looks like but you might want to look into it. If it's less objectionable than the white box, you might want to go for that.

·
Registered
676 Posts
They do make the plastic holsters with the suction cups. Or you can just get an ez-pass that bolts up to your front plate and not have one your windshield all together. Plus if you do that you can now blow thru tolls at twice the speed you do now.

·
Run Far
367 Posts
^^^Mushroom head can refer to a type of mechanical bolt. But it's also the generic term for the type of tape that EZ Pass uses, and 3M's brand name is known as Dual Lock Reclosable fastener tape. Just like hook and loop is the generic term for Velcro.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I took my Sunpass(Florida version) completely apart and painted it black. It looks so much better.

·
Retired Hotness!
921 Posts
I took my Sunpass(Florida version) completely apart and painted it black. It looks so much better.
But ours belong to us, so painting it is not an issue for us.

And for another response: And our sunPass modules use Velcro ad some come with the suction cups attached..... Sun Pass/EZ Pass..... We have both.

FTR most of them are line of site modules, so having them hidden will/may cause a problem.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.