BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We should create a comprehensive list of issues in the hopes that BMW is paying attention. I think they do browse forums.

We all know the F01/F02's overall are a fantastic achievement. Given the investment we've made in these vehicles, however, it's worth noting that a few issues are present.

I'd be great if we could make this a sticky.

I'll start the list:

1. Maintain radio preset scrolling after a restart: The vehicle does not return to the previous preset list used when last running. It instead scrolls other stations in the current mode (AM/FM/SAT) rather than the "preset" list. The user has to actively go back to the preset list before being able to scroll the presets using the scroll on the steering wheel.

2. Maintain iPod Playlist after a restart: The vehicle does not remember the playlist it was playing when last running. It will continue to play the songs from the playlist, but will not allow the user to scroll to other songs and view their titles. The user must go back and manually select the playlist again after each restart. This has been tested with 3 different generation iPods.

3. Allow front passenger to turn on rear monitors and play a DVD. I have small children who cannot control a remote and trying to play a DVD is very complicated. I must turn on the rear monitor using the switch in the rear console, then use the remote to scroll to CD/DVD, etc. I should be able to do all the functions from the iDrive screen.

4. Create an option in iDrive to automatically fold side mirrors when parked.

5. You should be able to tap the sunroof button back twice to get the shade and sunroof to both retract automatically. The user should no have to wait for the shade to retract before opening the sunroof. NOT AN ISSUE. SEE BELOW.

6. The user should not be required to press Start/Stop twice before exiting the vehicle. Pressing Stop once should turn off the engine. When the drivers door is opened all other functions should turn off. NOT AN ISSUE. SEE BELOW.

7. Create an iDrive option that unlocks all doors automatically when you engage Park. (or stop the engine)

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
You can hold down the button for 2-3 seconds and it'll act as if the car turned off, at least it does on my E66. As well, there should be a programmable option for the door unlocking, I know my E66 has one and I doubt that they took it off.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Regarding Hayden's list:

#1 - I typically leave my screen on the "preset" page. It returns to this screen after I turn off the car.

#6 - Agreed - pet peeve #2

#7 - Agreed - pet peeve #1

My personal list of minor complaints:

1. I have the standard radio. The sound quality is terrible. I have programmed the fader to favor the back, but then my back seat passangers complain it is too loud.

2. I have the M Sport package. I would like the "M" logo under the airbag as shown on the Franfurt show car and the first photos of these cars.

3. I appreciate all the storage bins and compartments, but use the center console for money and coins. I would like to remove the phone connection adapter to make access easier. Is this possible?

4. I would like to be able to view the name of the artist and song automatically without having to go into two different screens. My wife's Escalade is set up this way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
.... 4. Create an option in iDrive to automatically fold side mirrors when parked...
I don't understand why many US-bound vehicles are lacking power folding side mirrors, while the very same vehicle for European and Asian markets have them. Even basic Toyota Corolla here in Asia has that feature (although doesn't automatically fold when parked, but better than manually fold each mirrors)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't understand why many US-bound vehicles are lacking power folding side mirrors, while the very same vehicle for European and Asian markets have them. Even basic Toyota Corolla here in Asia has that feature (although doesn't automatically fold when parked, but better than manually fold each mirrors)
We have power folding. What were talking about is auto fold when parked.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The navigation screen does not provide the names of most of the streets. It shows all the streets, but most are nameless, even when set to only hundreds of feet view. I got more street info on my '06.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The navigation screen does not provide the names of most of the streets. It shows all the streets, but most are nameless, even when set to only hundreds of feet view. I got more street info on my '06.
Yes, I also wish the Nav traffic data would show the severity of the traffic. It currently only shows orange (or a triangle) which doesn't indicate just how bad it is.

·
Y ask y? Ask y not!
602 Posts
Yes, I also wish the Nav traffic data would show the severity of the traffic. It currently only shows orange (or a triangle) which doesn't indicate just how bad it is.
Mine does show Red when traffic is really bad.

It also pop-up alternative routes and tell me how many miles remaining before the alternative route disappears.

·
Y ask y? Ask y not!
602 Posts
Play with the different views. Perspective view at 0.25mls seems to give me most of the street names.

·
Y ask y? Ask y not!
602 Posts
1. Maintain radio preset scrolling after a restart: The vehicle does not return to the previous preset list used when last running. It instead scrolls other stations in the current mode (AM/FM/SAT) rather than the "preset" list. The user has to actively go back to the preset list before being able to scroll the presets using the scroll on the steering wheel.
hmmm! Mine returns me to the last multimedia (CD/DVD/Radio/iPod) i last listen to and i can scroll the "Presets" even if the iDrive is showing the Navigation screen. Maybe i'm not understanding your statement. Can you walk me thru what happens when you enter your car? I'll repeat the same thing to see if it produces similar or different results.

2. Maintain iPod Playlist after a restart: The vehicle does not remember the playlist it was playing when last running. It will continue to play the songs from the playlist, but will not allow the user to scroll to other songs and view their titles. The user must go back and manually select the playlist again after each restart. This has been tested with 3 different generation iPods.
When i enter the car and turn it on, the last playlist i was listening to resume playing the song. I can scroll thru the songs on the playlist without messing with the iDrive.

3. Allow front passenger to turn on rear monitors and play a DVD. I have small children who cannot control a remote and trying to play a DVD is very complicated. I must turn on the rear monitor using the switch in the rear console, then use the remote to scroll to CD/DVD, etc. I should be able to do all the functions from the iDrive screen.
There's an option to "Switch off rear DVD system" You'll think they'll be smart enough to give you the option to switch it on and even select a DVD to play. However, i can understand the safety concern as to why they don
t want the driver controlling the rear DVD...but wait...the front passenger can control it instead of the driver so what's the rational behind it?

4. Create an option in iDrive to automatically fold side mirrors when parked.
This option is already build into all F01/02 BUT it's blocked or limited via programming or coding for US models.

5. You should be able to tap the sunroof button back twice to get the shade and sunroof to both retract automatically. The user should no have to wait for the shade to retract before opening the sunroof.
Checkout this video that i just took showing the roof and the shade opening and closing at the same time. Not sure if this is what you talking about

6. The user should not be required to press Start/Stop twice before exiting the vehicle. Pressing Stop once should turn off the engine. When the drivers door is opened all other functions should turn off.
For me i just press Start/Stop once to turn the ignition off, walk out out of the car and lock the car which turns everything off. In the E65/66 pressing the Start/Stop for about 2-3 secons turns the engine and the car off and eject/pop-out the remote key fob. This feature went away with the introduction of Comfort Access/Keyless Go where one is no longer required to insert the key. I have a feeling BMW will fix this in a programming or software update/recall. Pressing the Start/Stop button for atleast 2 seconds to kill the car completely is no brainer.

7. Create an iDrive option that unlocks all doors automatically when you engage Park. (or stop the engine)
This is also available in non-US F01/F02. The E65/66 had this option as well and i have a feeling BMW will resolve this with a programming/software upgrade.

·
Y ask y? Ask y not!
602 Posts
Regarding Hayden's list:
3. I appreciate all the storage bins and compartments, but use the center console for money and coins. I would like to remove the phone connection adapter to make access easier. Is this possible?
Almost everyone that has F01/02 hate this. It appears the Smartphone Integration is built into and wired with the center console. Choosing this option and paying $150 ONLY enable it but if you opt out of this option, you still get the cradle but it's disabled. Not sure if someone at BMW Design is trying to undo everything that Chris Bangle did because this was not an issue in the E65/66 since almost everyone loved the ample storage space.

Regarding Hayden's list:
4. I would like to be able to view the name of the artist and song automatically without having to go into two different screens. My wife's Escalade is set up this way.
Try the Split screen option with Entertainment details (It shows more information about the playlist, album, song, etc). This is how mine shows up in the iDrive

·
Registered
53 Posts
Try the Split screen option with Entertainment details (It shows more information about the playlist, album, song, etc). This is how mine shows up in the iDrive
I'm not sure the I Drive is capable of showing me what I want. Ideally, I'd like to see my list of Presets, the station I am tuned to (orange rectangle and check mark), along with the artist and title. Audi's MMI is similar to BMW's where you must scroll into an "info" page in order to view this information. The Escalade shows you the station, artist and title, but the presets are spread out over several "pages" of screens. No biggie. I still think the car is amazing.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Remember suspension settings

One additional item to add to the list(s) above:
- Remember the suspension settings (comfort, normal, sport, sport+) between restarts. I mostly drive in the 'sport' setting, but every time I turn on the car it detaults back to 'normal'. It should remember the last mode -- or have this as an option in the menu system

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
- Remember the suspension settings (comfort, normal, sport, sport+) between restarts. I mostly drive in the 'sport' setting, but every time I turn on the car it detaults back to 'normal'. It should remember the last mode -- or have this as an option in the menu system
Mine remembers the setting if its "Comfort". "Sport" and "Sport+" return to "Normal" after a restart. The difference makes me believe it was a conscious decision by BMW.

Mine does show Red when traffic is really bad.

It also pop-up alternative routes and tell me how many miles remaining before the alternative route disappears.
Interesting... I'll have to check that out. In my couple weeks of using it around heavy traffic I've only seen Orange... and lots of it. UPDATE: It does indeed show red.

hmmm! Mine returns me to the last multimedia (CD/DVD/Radio/iPod) i last listen to and i can scroll the "Presets" even if the iDrive is showing the Navigation screen. Maybe i'm not understanding your statement. Can you walk me thru what happens when you enter your car? I'll repeat the same thing to see if it produces similar or different results.
Mine returns me to the last multimedia. I can also scroll the presets while looking at the Nav screen. Those aren't the issues.

If I go to the Presets, then switch to Nav... For the rest of the ride everything is fine. I can scroll the presets no problem.

The problem is when I get back into the car and restart it. It will pickup on the last station, but if I try to scroll the presets again... I can't. It only displays other stations in the same mode as the one it was left of (AM/FM/SAT). I have to back to the Presets screen to be able to scroll presets again.

When i enter the car and turn it on, the last playlist i was listening to resume playing the song. I can scroll thru the songs on the playlist without messing with the iDrive.
Can you tell me exactly what kind of iPod you are using? Mine will not remember the playlist with the ability to see all the other songs.

Checkout this video that i just took showing the roof and the shade opening and closing at the same time. Not sure if this is what you talking about
I'll have to try that, thanks. UPDATE: That works, thanks.

For me i just press Start/Stop once to turn the ignition off, walk out out of the car and lock the car which turns everything off. In the E65/66 pressing the Start/Stop for about 2-3 secons turns the engine and the car off and eject/pop-out the remote key fob. This feature went away with the introduction of Comfort Access/Keyless Go where one is no longer required to insert the key. I have a feeling BMW will fix this in a programming or software update/recall. Pressing the Start/Stop button for atleast 2 seconds to kill the car completely is no brainer.
Problem with relying on locking the car to fully turn it off means that the radio will be heard when you open the door, which may be odd depending on where you happen to be.

·
Y ask y? Ask y not!
602 Posts
One additional item to add to the list(s) above:
Dynamic Driving Control only retains/memorize "Normal" and "Comfort" selection. "Sport" or "Sports+" revert to "Normal" after restart. Hopefully we'll have more options of controlling this in the next iDrive/software update.

·
Y ask y? Ask y not!
602 Posts
Mine returns me to the last multimedia. I can also scroll the presets while looking at the Nav screen. Those aren't the issues.
If I go to the Presets, then switch to Nav... For the rest of the ride everything is fine. I can scroll the presets no problem.
The problem is when I get back into the car and restart it. It will pickup on the last station, but if I try to scroll the presets again... I can't. It only displays other stations in the same mode as the one it was left of (AM/FM/SAT). I have to back to the Presets screen to be able to scroll presets again.
After a restart Use the "Mode" button on the steering wheel to select "Presets" and you should be able to see all your presets. Also use the "Mode" button to select USB and you shoule be able to scroll thru songs on your playlist. Hopefully this helps.

Can you tell me exactly what kind of iPod you are using? Mine will not remember the playlist with the ability to see all the other songs.
I'm using iPod Classic.

Problem with relying on locking the car to fully turn it off means that the radio will be heard when you open the door, which may be odd depending on where you happen to be.
I fully understand. I guess for now you'll have to make do with pushing the Start/Stop button twice.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Dynamic Driving Control only retains/memorize "Normal" and "Comfort" selection. "Sport" or "Sports+" revert to "Normal" after restart. Hopefully we'll have more options of controlling this in the next iDrive/software update.
Hmm - shows you how often I've used "Comfort". (BMW's are meant to be DRIVEN :). ) I just figured it always defaulted back to 'normal'... will have to give it a try

1 - 20 of 117 Posts