BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2009 BMW 750Li. When the car is downshifting form 2nd to 1st is jerking. Any ides how to fix that? Is it software issue or is mechanical problem. Is it covered by the basic power train plan?

Thank you in advance!
850destin84

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
I have 2009 BMW 750Li. When the car is downshifting form 2nd to 1st is jerking. Any ides how to fix that? Is it software issue or is mechanical problem. Is it covered by the basic power train plan?

Thank you in advance!
850destin84
Which mode are you in? When I am in Sport or Sport + mode I notice the down shifting is rougher.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
doubtful it's the same issue that plagued the e65s but when I had an e65, the issue was fixed by replacing a guibo, whatever the hell that is.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I've experienced a downshift jerk from 3rd to 2nd gear. A transmission reset and software update fixed it for me which was covered under warranty.

·
Crazy Wheels
674 Posts
A Giubo (JEW-boh; etymology: Giunti Boschi), also known as a flex disc, and sometimes misspelled as guibo, is a flexible coupling used to transmit rotational torque between the drive shaft and the companion flange on mechanical devices, such as an automobile engine.

NOT TO BE MISTAKEN WITH:
Gaybo. A man who enjoys wearing tight clothing shoping for jewellery , long walks in the park and ****ing other men.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
thanks Skydan for the explanation. As a Jew I wanted to be offended by Jew-boh but it's too funny to be offended :)

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Hello guys i talk to my mechanic and he is 100% sure that is the control arms. Any thoughts on that?
Highly doubt it's the control arms.

The guibo joint is a shock absorber that is supposed to mask vibrations and shifts. They fail prematurely since the trans is shifting harsher and harsher. Guibo is a wear and tear item so most aftermarket warranties will not cover it. I had an exclusion Platnium plan which stated what was not covered thus my aftermarket warranty company paid for the first replacement, then all the transmission band-aid fixes, and finally a new trans (see below).

Trans fluid is filled with friction modifiers that help keep shifts buttery smooth. Over time these break down due to wear on the fluid. However BMW has lifetime transmission fluid (for the life of the trans). Some have reported better shifting after swapping out the fluid for Castrol Multi-Import, Redline D4 and a variety of other fluids. I paid around $400 at the dealer to get the fluid changed on my first trans to hopefully help with the rough shifting, made a very slight difference. My old fluid was horrid, here's the oil analysis from blackstone labs:

you can see the whole thread of info here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509990&highlight=

The feeling you get is somewhat like you got rear ended, right? It's plauged the E65/66 and the only real solutions have been to replace a few seals, swap the fluid and somewhat worst case senario, swap the whole mechantronics unit for the trans. You could also swap the whole trans out for a rebuilt one too.

My 760 started doing this in city driving in D mode and did it every time in S mode when coming to a stop. I took the service manager for a test drive in S mode, and the trans was authorized to be replaced the same day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Play and Clunk

2010-750Li
Feels and sounds like ROTATIONAL PLAY and CLUNKS at slow downshifts and upshifts and at "California Stops".
After replacing the Transmission, Both Flex Disks, Differential Bushing and servicing differential, it is still there. Driving me crazy. Any thoughts and suggestions?
:mad:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts