BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
TMS Fester
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BBC switched the headline from "bmw links with sauber" to bmw buys sauber literally in the time I wrote this. Who knows. But there is a press conference I believe today. I would love for bmw to go solo and see what they can do.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/4118472.stm

here is the "invitation" from bmw
22.06.2005, 2005
Invitation to today's Press Conference of BMW Motorsport Ladies and Gentlemen, Due to a newsworthy occasion we would like to invite you to a Press Conference at short notice. Participants are: Prof. Dr.
Burkhard Göschel (Member of the Board of Management of the BMW AG, Development and Purchasing), Dr. Mario Theissen (BMW Motorsport Director).
Peter Sauber.

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
I think this is a good move on BMWs part.

IMO with the amount of money spent on the team, Williams has been doing a poor job the last two or three seasons.

Now the hard part BMW needs to find the right people to run the new team.

·
Do the interns get Glocks
9,324 Posts
The at large rumor is Williams will partner with Toyota.

·
Awesome power!
4,851 Posts
LmtdSlip said:
The at large rumor is Williams will partner with Toyota.
Yup. That's been bouncing around for a month or so. Sooooo, what am I going to do with my BMW Williams apparel? Will things become collector's items? And will I have to stop touting the skills of Heifeld and unload my Nickie No. 8 hat? Whew, so many questions.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I think the most important question is what will happen to the color schemes. The current Williams livery is the obvious choice for a BMW factory entry. Unless it's some combination of Imola Red, Laguna Seca Blue and LeMans Blue.

·
racer wannabe
3,311 Posts
I agree that it was a good move for BMW but there will be no excuses once they get going.
It will be interesting to see what kind of budget they're gonna have and if who will they bring on a technical side.

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
This is great! I've always wanted to root for BMW/Williams, but Williams and Head just always seemed like such unlikeable pricks, it made it difficult.

:thumbup:

·
Hated by hater haters
1,652 Posts
F1Crazy said:
...but there will be no excuses once they get going....
But I expect it may take 2 years to get going. They will want to do a lot more than slap a BMW engine into a Sauber chassis, and that will take a lot of development and test time.

I'm not expecting big things from a new BMW team before mid 2007 season at the earliest.

I hope they use the M colors for their cars, unless they keep the Sauber colors, which have been the best in the paddock.

·
racer wannabe
3,311 Posts
As far as livery I think it will depend a lot on team sponsors but I suspect they will run white and blue cars.

There will be more ramifications for Williams, they may lose some key sponsors.

It's only good news for Nick Heidfeld as he will no doubt be joining BMW team. It kinda makes me think if Jenson's string of bad luck and bad decisions will continue as he will be joining Williams/? team next season.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts