BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
F1 - GET OVER IT!

You guys ever played a team sport when you were a kid? Ever heard, "take one for the team"? Have you ever seen someone bunt when playing baseball?

Ferrari's purpose in F1 is not only to win the constructor's championship, but to also produce a world champion. The rest of the season is UNCERTIAN, believe it or not MS is not guaranteed to be the world champion in 2002, however he is currently best positioned for the championship. Ferrari would be foolish or arrogant not to give him every advantage possible. It is widely known and accepted that 90% of the Ferrari team is dedicated specifically to enhancing MS's performance. It is common and uncontroversial that the number 1 driver has rights to race the other driver's car and take the ideal pit-stop strategy.

Everybody knows that RB won the race. He is even taking home the 1st place trophy. He sat in the center for the after race interview. The only thing RB did not win was the official point's… big deal, RB won OK... GET OVER IT!

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
OK, after 20 years of F1 watching I was a little bit disappointed to see a driver's victory has been raped, so early in the season.

But after thinking over it, I can understand Ferrari's decision. It's about image, money, sponsors, the marque etc. The team needs both titels, Constructor's and Driver's, so that they get :

- Car number 1 and 2 next year
- The first pit box at every race.

The first point is very very very important for the sponsors. It's a big hit if you advertise with the car No.1 rather than 3,4 etc. ;)

We'll get over it :)

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
CD-55 said:
F1 - GET OVER IT!

You guys ever played a team sport when you were a kid? Ever heard, "take one for the team"? Have you ever seen someone bunt when playing baseball?

Ferrari's purpose in F1 is not only to win the constructor's championship, but to also produce a world champion. The rest of the season is UNCERTIAN, believe it or not MS is not guaranteed to be the world champion in 2002, however he is currently best positioned for the championship. Ferrari would be foolish or arrogant not to give him every advantage possible. It is widely known and accepted that 90% of the Ferrari team is dedicated specifically to enhancing MS's performance. It is common and uncontroversial that the number 1 driver has rights to race the other driver's car and take the ideal pit-stop strategy.

Everybody knows that RB won the race. He is even taking home the 1st place trophy. He sat in the center for the after race interview. The only thing RB did not win was the official point's… big deal, RB won OK... GET OVER IT!
Okay, I'll admit I'm over-reacting a bit...But mostly to the lack of sportsmanship that's exibited now in F1, and specifically in Ferrari's camp. To a certain degree this IS an individual sports, once they're on the track it's one driver's skill against another. I'd like to see them duke it out, and have Michael Schumaker take the championship with his skill rather than micromanagement from the team. They're taking the enjoyment away from us fans by "fixing" the results and I feel cheated.

I'm still going to boycott F1.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Bravo. Good post.

And for those who think that F1 has EVER been an individual sport going to the best driver hasn't been much of a critical fan.

Williams is the ONLY team where there is not a #1 and #2 driver. Where the #1 driver gets the best car, the best engineers, the most time and effort, and the pick of cars. Heck, in other teams the #1 driver has taken over the #2 drivers car when it was faster in practice.

Ferrari has a #1 driver. But they also give their #2 driver a pretty darn good machine. If the championship was not on the line, they would even let him win, which is not true for other teams.

If you want a best driver race series, it better be spec cars.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Dave 330i said:
The truth comes out. Frankly, I find F1 races quite boring. My opinion was reinforced Sunday when I happen to catch the last lap of the Austrian F1 race to see one guy in a red Ferrari purposely slowed down so another guy in another red Ferrari could passed him up to finish first. I wonder if Michael will ever let Mario do that at Indy.

I guess this generous act is the same as the "rabbit" in a marathon. What happens if the "rabbit" decide to win the race? Hum, perhaps he gets fired?
I think the only reason that F1 races are so boring is that Ferrari is so far ahead of the other teams. I'll admit that is sucks watching a race where the winning driver is 45 seconds in front.

It was better a few years ago when Villenauve was competetive with Williams. BMW is the closest competitor, but they have a lot of work to do to catch up with Ferrari.

Oh well.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
CD-55 said:
F1 - GET OVER IT!

You've gotta be kidding!! Do you REALLY think that Car racing is a "team sports"!!?? Racing has always been "me first, team second" gig. I think you've been watching Steve McQueen's "LeMans" one too many time...

pffsstt!! Car racing as a team sports..... that's a good one!!
:rolleyes:

beewang

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
CD-55 said:
Please...please... if you are gonna sell out and buy into that Bahbling P.R. release by Ferrari, I'd rather not see your post. Its nothing more than a brain washed version of Plaguerased Ferrari horseschitt :tsk: Look... we are NOT as ignorant as Ferrari thinks. Fact of the matter is... Ferrari cheated Ruben out of his race:tsk: Look!! I am NOT a fan of Ruben, in fact I've always thought very lil' of Ruben. But onthe weekend of May 12, 2002 in Austria GP, Ruben was the KING. No if and but's about it. In anyother sports, blunt act of this magnitute would be be consider cheating.... in fact... only the same peple who though the Russian pair figure skaters were better than the Canadians in Salt Lake City would think this type of "fixing arragements"(aka cheating) is acceptable.

BTW, am I the only one that caught Ralph Schumi gave his brother a disgrace stare after Michael got out of the car??:) What does that tell you??

Well.... here's what Ithink after watching the race.
Ruben: Class act, swallow his pride due to a contractual agreement. You can call him a hero, some will call him a coward. I dunno which is right, but he professionalism has scored significant points w/ me:thumb:
Michael: I don't blame him... it not his called. But 68% of F1 fans feels he should've disobayed the team order.

ferrari: Cheaters will NEVER win!! JPM's Train is coming to station and ferrari knows it!!

beewang :bigpimp:

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
I don't know. I mean I get the whole thing about needing to win the driver's championship as well as the manufacturers title. I'm just a little dissapointed with a couple of the circumstances.
1) While nothing is certain, Micheal is comfortably out in front in the standings. If Micheal gets 2nd, there was still no other team's driver to gain points on him. If BMW was 1-2 and they let Micheal by to get 3rd place points to keep from losing more ground that would be a little different.
2) Austria was the one track on the current schedule he had not won and to get it with a gift takes a little out of the bragging rights of having won at all the current tracks.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Of course those that think it is an individual sport forget the 60s Le Mans race. The one where Ford had the three GT-40s cross the line together? And then the win didn't go to the team that had been in front, because one of the other cars started further down the line (old style real Le Mans start)?

Maybe at the lowest club level it is an individual sport, but not any higher and definately not at the professional level.

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
Yawn.

Hmm.

Fiat had a 1-2 anyway in the race. The image (MSchumacher's), the money (MSchumacher's) the sponsors (pay MSchumacher's insane salary), the marque (everyone has heard of it already) etc. probably suffered MORE because of this "team" decision.

About that, I think this nonsense that it had nothing to do with MSchumacher's GRAND CANYON sized ego is simply, nonsense. It had everything to do with him: his dream of having a victory at every single Formula One race track is now complete.

Sure having the first pit box is important and having cars #1 and #2 is fine. However, Ferrari is running away with both titles as is.

What I thought was pretty funny was MSchumacher's response to the mess they made. Trying to look ashamed or embarassed after the fact was so pathetic! Austrians have (generally speaking, and I have quite a few Austrian friends) a fond dislike for MSchumacher and they showed it. That boo-ing and whistling concert was unbelievable! MSchumacher's attempt (post-race news conference) to deflect criticism by saying he was also against the "team" decision and that it was made by people up the chain of command was just poor acting. What a jerk.

A fitting comment in yesterday's newspaper read like this (translated from Finnish): "What was very strange was the fact that Ferrari did not send Jean Todt and Ross Brawn up to the podium to collect the winners' trophies - since it was apparently the pair of them that decided who was allowed to win the Austrian Grand Prix."

Formula One is a joke. I seem to be repeating this a lot.

Patrick

Alex Baumann said:
OK, after 20 years of F1 watching I was a little bit disappointed to see a driver's victory has been raped, so early in the season.

But after thinking over it, I can understand Ferrari's decision. It's about image, money, sponsors, the marque etc. The team needs both titels, Constructor's and Driver's, so that they get :

- Car number 1 and 2 next year
- The first pit box at every race.

The first point is very very very important for the sponsors. It's a big hit if you advertise with the car No.1 rather than 3,4 etc. ;)

We'll get over it :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.