Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2011 550i (F10) with about 14,000 miles. It's only a year old and I am having a problem with the ignition. When I hit the start button it is taking almost 30 seconds plus to get the engine to start. This started happening last week and it happens about 50% of the time.
It feels like the starter is about to die or could it be spark plugs this early in the cars life!
Has anyone experienced this issue before on a new 550.
Thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
Maybe weak battery? Bad spark plugs? Time for service. Let us know what it is.

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
No, it's likely fuel. People have had issues with 550's with fuel pump modules. Search for fuel pump, 550 and you'll find.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Heard same. Know a guy with an '11 that has had 2 fuel pump replacements.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I just scheduled another appointment with the dealer. We'll find out what they say tomorrow. This problem is happening more frequently now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just picked up my car from the dealer. They replaced the low pressure fuel pump located in the fuel tank. They said the pressure was low at around 3.2 bar and the norm is 5.7 bar. They replaced the pump and a fuel line. We'll see if this fixes the problem. So far no issue, but it's only been a couple of hours. I'll update the post in a few days.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I just picked up my car from the dealer. They replaced the low pressure fuel pump located in the fuel tank. They said the pressure was low at around 3.2 bar and the norm is 5.7 bar. They replaced the pump and a fuel line. We'll see if this fixes the problem. So far no issue, but it's only been a couple of hours. I'll update the post in a few days.
Thanks for the follow up jkbimmer. I had the same issue once with our 2008 535. Low pressure fuel pump sensor was bad. It was so bad that the car wouldn't even start. I too thought it was a dead battery at first. You figure they would get things better on an F10 by now.

Which begs me to ask "Are there still fuel pump issues with the F10s in general? I haven't heard too much about it like with the E60 or have BMW owners learned to accept it as part of ultimate driving experience?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the last fix did not work, the ignition is long cranking again and now I also have the check ignition light on. The Long cranking started happening two days after I got it back from the dealer. And it happens about one out of three times. I'll be taking it in again tomorrow. We'll see what they say.

·
GO GET IT $
152 Posts
I had a similar issue. Mine would crank for about 5 seconds. Definitely not as long as yours. But it was considerable. It would also jerk during acceleration as if the tranny was slipping then catching the gear all of a sudden. I studied the cars reaction to acceleration when I punched it. And realize it wasn't the tranny. It was as if the fuel was cut off all of a sudden then fuel was feed again.

Took it to service to find piston2,4,& 7 were misfiring due to bad coil packs and faulty injectors. Fe days later got the car back and the same afternoon. Same jerk under acceleration. Took it back. The couldn't find faults. They requested for an engineer to fly in to look at the car because they weren't getting any codes. BMW finally authorize replacement of all 8 injectors and coil packs with the new updated version.... No problems since and I have improved gas mileage

$4000 job. Thanks to warranty!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the information. What you described is exactly what I've experienced. My car is still at the dealer. I called BMW customer relations and asked them to have an engineer/technician examine the car to identify the real problem.
They told me it will be 3 to 5 days before they can contact me with next steps. Meanwhile, I'm waiting to hear from the dealer.
We'll post an update in the next few days.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally picked up the car from the dealer, they replaced all 8 fuel injectors. They tested the spark plugs and they were flooded with fuel, injectors were defective. The car appears to be running better and so far no more long cracking. Hopefully, this will fix the problem for good.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Glad the car is fixed. One of my buddies that is a tech at Bmw said they work on more Bmw V8's than any other engine at the shop. At any given time theres atleast a few V8's being pulled out of the car getting major work done.

Alan

·
Registered
29 Posts
re: Extended Cranking Problems.

I have this same problem. I've been in three times for it already.
Since I bought my car used (one year old) and it's still under factory warranty, other than continuing to bring it back in, over and over again, is there something else I can do?

They claim to have already replaced all of my injectors.

regards,
Mark

2011 F10 550i
- extended cranking problems

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Mark,
My problem did not get resolved until I confirmed that they replaced all 8 fuel injectors. You should be able to confirm this on the service record they gave you when you took it in each time.
In addition, they replaced the low pressure fuel pump located in the fuel tank. They said the pressure was low at around 3.2 bar and the norm is 5.7 bar. They replaced the pump and a fuel line. This was an issue too and it can lead to long cranking and jerking during accelation. Make sure they check this pump for you.
So far, I have not experienced any issues since they've performed the replacements listed above.
Call BMW directly if the dealer has not been able to correct the problem. In FL, 3 times with the same problem and dealer can't fix, makes it a lemon and the manufacturer has 10 days to repair or buy the car back. Check the lemon law in your state and make sure you receive a service record every time you take it to the dealer, you will need them as a proof in case you have to file a claim.

Best of luck.
Jimmy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts