BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a few questions about engine oil cooling for my 2015 F10 528i with N20 engine. I have noticed the oil temperature gauge normally shows just under 250F for normal highway drive and sometimes above 250F when passing through a desert here in Southern California.

Questions:
1) Is there an oil temperature thermostat anywhere in the N20 system? If so where is it? If not, how is the oil temperature controlled?
The oil heat exchanger body attached to N20 oil filter housing does not seem to have a thermostat, or does it?

2) If I use an external aftermarket oil cooler, I'm concerned that it'll take too long to warm up especially in winters. What are your thoughts on this?

I looked up oil coolers for N20 and all In found were the kits like shown in the picture but they all claim fitment for 3 series F30, none for F10. Has anybody tried this or any other aftermarket kit on F10 N20?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
2,041 Posts
Good questions! I know there is an oil temperature sensor that is a 2 pin NTC screwed into the main oil passage/duct. The DME constantly knows oil temperature which plays a roll in the volumetric oil pumps demand. I don’t believe the oil cooler on the filter housing has a thermostat but I could wrong.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. This brings up another question: Assuming an external aftermarket oil cooler is installed and it is performing cooling operation better than the stock heat exchanger. If DME is in charge of temperature control, I wonder if it'll somehow cause less oil to be pumped through the external cooler in order to maintain "optimum temperature"? In other words, at the end of the day am I going to end up with the same ~250F steady state operating temperature?

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
2,041 Posts
I don’t know…the DME also has oil pressure sensor. I don’t think temperature plays too big a role in the volumetric flow but I’m unsure. It makes sense to monitor both and adjust as needed. I donno too many people that track N20s but maybe one of the N55 track guys can weigh in here as I assume they are probably similar 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
E30 325e, E34 535i, E46 330Ci, E60 530i, F10 528i, F10 535d
394 Posts
I believe the DME controls the oil temp indirectly by controlling the coolant temp. The DME can vary the coolant pump speed to control the coolant temp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts