Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there good folks. New BMW owner here. Got myself a 2012 535i 6 MT. Love it so far. However, as with any car, there's a few things I'd change. First and foremost is the shift knob. I just hate how light and plasticky it feels. Tried to do some research but couldn't find any useful options. If anybody has swapped out the stock shifter to something more robust, please post some pics, source - where to buy, cost - parts and labor etc. Would really appreciate that. Also, I feel the throws are long with the stock shifter. Does anyone feel the same? Any good short shifter options?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't say if it fits the F10 535i. Says it fits the e60 though. Have you seen anyone install it on the F10?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh mine is the non M sport. Does this still fit? You mean it will fit if I buy the whole thing with the boot instead of just the shift knob?

·
Registered
597 Posts
I think they just sell it as a kit because it all goes under one part number. The knob will fit either as a part of the kit or by itself. It is a screw in thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think they just sell it as a kit because it all goes under one part number. The knob will fit either as a part of the kit or by itself. It is a screw in thing.
I bought just the shift knob from the first link you sent but when I went to pull (in the F10 atleast it is not screw in, it has to be pulled out) old shift knob in the car, the boot is pulling off along with it. Do I have to buy the one with the boot in the 2nd link that you sent? Or is there a way I can separate the boot from the old shift knob and use it with the new one?

·
Registered
597 Posts
I bought just the shift knob from the first link you sent but when I went to pull (in the F10 at least it is not screw in, it has to be pulled out) old shift knob in the car, the boot is pulling off along with it. Do I have to buy the one with the boot in the 2nd link that you sent? Or is there a way I can separate the boot from the old shift knob and use it with the new one?
So if you pull on the old shift knob, the whole boot comes off? Well pull it off and flip over. There bound to be a way to separate the knob from the boot. Fit the new knob in its place. I bet it is the same gear shift lever regardless if it is an M-sport car or not. The new knob should fit perfectly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if you pull on the old shift knob, the whole boot comes off? Well pull it off and flip over. There bound to be a way to separate the knob from the boot. Fit the new knob in its place. I bet it is the same gear shift lever regardless if it is an M-sport car or not. The new knob should fit perfectly.
I have no question that the new knob will fit. It's just the boot looks like it is attached to the old knob, almost looks like they are stitched together. Let me attach a pic or 2 in a bit.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Inspect the new knob carefully: it will give you a hint how it is retained in the boot. Either there are some clips or it does indeed screw into the boot recepticle. Also make sure that the outside diameters of both knobs are similar - you want the knob flush with the boot or it will look funny. Beyond that I have no idea. Do you like the new knob enough to justify further expense?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Inspect the new knob carefully: it will give you a hint how it is retained in the boot. Either there are some clips or it does indeed screw into the boot recepticle. Also make sure that the outside diameters of both knobs are similar - you want the knob flush with the boot or it will look funny. Beyond that I have no idea. Do you like the new knob enough to justify further expense?
I like the new knob, it is nice and heavy and feels authentic. I just want to figure out if I can get the boot off of the old knob and use it with the new one or if I should just purchase the new knob with the boot. If it needs a lot of effort and the chance that it might rip/expose the steel underneath, it is not worth it. I just want to rule out the possibility that I can just unscrew the old boot and use it with the new one.

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,517 Posts
You have the wrong part. For the F10 5 Series, per BMW's parts catalog all versions of the gearshift knob are sold & replaced with the boot, as a single unit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You have the wrong part. For the F10 5 Series, per BMW's parts catalog all versions of the gearshift knob are sold & replaced with the boot, as a single unit.
Figured so. Returning the knob to purchase the same one that comes with the boot.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Figured so. Returning the knob to purchase the same one that comes with the boot.
Just make sure the new boot has the same rectangular dimensions as the old one, or you will have an even more entertaining and expensive problem.

·
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,517 Posts
Seems an opportune time to mention realoem.com....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the new shift knob is the M sport. My car is the non M sport. There is nothing really out there that says if the M sport knob with boot will fit the non M sport. I just have to take a chance. Atleast from the pictures the boot looks similar to what's on my car. Let's see.

·
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,517 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it. The boot has to fit the console opening and the knob has to fit the shift lever. The console trim is the same for base and M Sport models. The transmission and gearshift are the same. Therefore, no worries.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts