Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just got a 2012 550i xdrive, I'm going to use it for Uber actually and I must pass a stiff inspection by TLC. Anyway I removed all the tint got some unpainted reflectors and put them on.

I just plugged in my $40 OBD2 scanner there were no codes and all the monitor s we're good besides the one with the letter F. It was blinking. Now I can pass with 2 failed monitors but Im still wondering what is the F monitor stands for and why it might be blinking.

The dealer I bought it from has onsite mechanics and it could be he fixed something and removed a code and that f monitor still didn't cycle through. But I doubt it.

Does anyone know what the F stands for?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
First class Uber ? I think you may have to pay more for repair and maintenance than you earn from Uber service if you don't have the extended warranty cover for N63 engine installed on your vehicle now.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can it be that the car was tuned or had jb4 or something like that on it?? Does that stuff fail monitors?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I do I have 2 years warranty and full coverage. I have faith that once I get tuned in with the Uber black market I'll be fine. I was doing Uberx with my E90 for almost 2 years.

I really wanted an X3 but Uber just moved it of the luxury list, then I thought a 528 would do but then I thought I'd be always wishing ive gotten the 535. And then I saw the 550 m sport with the aerodynamic kit and shadowline trim. What could a man do??? How could I have said no to that. We looked at each other it was love at first sight. I do believe cars have souls.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
...How could I have said no to that...

Easy... See here... Fortunately, I saw that thread before I bought a 2012 550. I opted for BMW's bread and butter; the straight-6 in the 535i. Haven't looked back and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...How could I have said no to that...

Easy... See here... Fortunately, I saw that thread before I bought a 2012 550. I opted for BMW's bread and butter; the straight-6 in the 535i. Haven't looked back and couldn't be happier.

Good for you. I did infact had to add a quart of oil once since I got the car, I figured thats normal for a high power turbo v8. Also looks like an oil change is due very soon. 10k with the same oil sounds ridiculous to me tho, should be 5k tops. I been reading some people use 0-30 and had no consumption problem, will see how it goes. I'm not that concern, gonna check if the ccp was done and what was replaced. I got 2 year warranty for drivetrain and electrical.

On a good note, the car is extremely smooth, at idle or red light the idle is so smooth it seems like the car is turned off. I been driving E90 i6 for 2 years before that and I can say this engine is just as smooth going through the rpms just way more power and a beautiful purrr coming from the engine bay. It's an addictive sound to say the least.

I don't know that F stands for I assume now it's fuel trim, gonna replace the air filters and clean the sensors and see what's up. With my E90 I kept having fuel trim issues till I removed the stupid k&n filter and put a regular paper filter it was running on 0.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
...I got 2 year warranty for drivetrain and electrical....

EXCELLENT!!!!! That should keep your wallet safe for a while!

Oils and engines are much better than they were for the 3K mile intervals. I've used synthetics for over 20 years using 12K-15K intervals with no problems at all. The highest mileage engine I used that interval had 193K miles when we sold it. As far as I know it's still running strong.

Checking on the CCP is a good idea. Also check out that thread on the BMW N63 settlement. IIRC, new engines are sub $4K if everything goes south.

Hoping you got a good one and you get years of fun!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...I got 2 year warranty for drivetrain and electrical....

EXCELLENT!!!!! That should keep your wallet safe for a while!

Oils and engines are much better than they were for the 3K mile intervals. I've used synthetics for over 20 years using 12K-15K intervals with no problems at all. The highest mileage engine I used that interval had 193K miles when we sold it. As far as I know it's still running strong.

Checking on the CCP is a good idea. Also check out that thread on the BMW N63 settlement. IIRC, new engines are sub $4K if everything goes south.

Hoping you got a good one and you get years of fun!

Thanks I'll monitor the oil consumption and see what happening. Idk why BMW are replacing the engines they should make a kit to raise the turbos up and have them stick out of the hood. That should cool things down a bit ***x1f601;

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Thanks I'll monitor the oil consumption and see what happening. Idk why BMW are replacing the engines they should make a kit to raise the turbos up and have them stick out of the hood. That should cool things down a bit ***x1f601;
Yeah... Didn't seem the smartest thing to do to put all that heat in a confined space!

Wouldn't some kind of a classy vented hood look cool!! Would also help with the heat!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts