BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick write up from todays adventure.

Red warning on the dash to change the rear brake pads due to wear, this was at 30000 miles. I'd run them over the yellow warning, this seems to be important, see later.

Motor factors brakes were GBP £25 for mintex but due to feeling I needed to change them today I went to the dealer and paid GBP £120 :(. Whilst there the parts guy asked if the warning light was on.. I said yes and he then said I needed the wear sensor. GBP £30 , I thought better safe than sorry.

I followed the guides you can google, and taking the handbrake / parking motor off first is most certainly the way to go.

NOTE: The pads to the rear of the disc are different to those at the front! Why? Because the rears / back ones take the wear sensor which is on the RHD side only. Don't make that mistake because I ended up having to remove pads on one side I had already fitted! Just to be clear, both sides have exactly the same pads but on each side the one to the rear is different to the one to the front.

Changing the wear sensor is fairly easy, just follow the old route, opening the box to the right of the wheel hub on the RHD, this is affixed to the body. Two clips on the right hand side open it and it is there for a bit of weather proofing, though mine was full of sand and mud. The wear sensor is the middle one. NOTE: my sensor had just started to be eaten so needed changing, seems the orange to red dash warning could be related to this. I won't leave it as long next time and save myself the effort and cost of having to change this.

The wear sensor does not need to be forced into the pad (if you have to check you have the right pad type in the right place :), change it after you have reassembled the calliper. it has a thin side and a thick side. The sensor is fitted on the back / rear pad and the thick side of the sensor faces the disc / rotor. Its a pain to route the cable :)

Rewinding the parking brake is easy with the motor removed and a t45 bit, using hand pressure only. (Clockwise)

I fitted new calliper bolts (included with the pads)

I used copper grease on the back of the pads and on the hub face that mates with the wheel, there was some corrosion here and the wheels were stuck to the hub.

Calliper bolts and motor screws were hard hand tightened. Wheels to 140NM.

Resetting the system was a case of sitting in the car with the ignition on, (Showing EPB Failure) hold the trip button on the dash for a while (Parking brake still off) hold again when it says reset the rear brakes, and hold again when it says reset possible.

Then apply the parking brake and the motors should wind in and everything should be green.

Hope that helps someone, took about an hour and a half even with having to swap pads over due to my ineptitude.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Recently did mine too.

The Textar pads from ECP are identical to oem BMW, minus the BMW logo. The stamped part number is the same. £66 I think.

If you can get a enet odb and ista d / rheingold software there is a service function to wind in the parking brake, to save taking it apart.

Your comment about keeping the parking brake off to reset is important - took me a while to figure this was why i couldn't get mine reset!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Timely post. I just did mine two days ago. I agree; Google made it very easy. One thing; when I reset mine it went to "12,000 Miles" until next service on the rear brakes. In the past the reset when to 32,000 miles. Any thoughts why I went to only 12,000?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So just redone the rears. Car now at 50k. Reset said another 22k so I guess 10 months for me. Had to replace the sensor again which I had anyways. Put EBC pads in and BMW sensor, total £50 and an hour and a half of my time. Good opp to inspect the underneath. Interesting to see the sensor connection box full of sand and water (mud) don't understand why they aren't sealed any better. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just replaced my rear brake pads also, but I am fortunate to have ISTA to put the parking brake in shop mode so you don't have to take it off and rewind it manually, great information for others doing this diy/

·
Registered
239 Posts
I just replaced my rear brake pads also, but I am fortunate to have ISTA to put the parking brake in shop mode so you don't have to take it off and rewind it manually, great information for others doing this diy/
Good to know. Would you mind to show how to do it? I would like to do it next time to change to brake pads.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Good to know. Would you mind to show how to do it? I would like to do it next time to change to brake pads.
Do you mean on ISTA or the actual brake replacement? The replacement is the same as the front very simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
239 Posts
Do you mean on ISTA or the actual brake replacement? The replacement is the same as the front very simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I meant how to use ISTA to put the parking break in shop mode and no need manually rewind them?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I meant how to use ISTA to put the parking break in shop mode and no need manually rewind them?
Manually rewinding the rears is a 45 second job. Very easy with no drama involved.

·
Registered
239 Posts
You are right. But last time I did it, I was getting a hard time for a rusty screw on the parking brake assembly. Almost stripped it out. After that I greased it. So should not be issue next time.:)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
You are right. But last time I did it, I was getting a hard time for a rusty screw on the parking brake assembly. Almost stripped it out. After that I greased it. So should not be issue next time.:)
Ahhh.... I've never had to deal with that living in Los Angeles; traffic, gangs, crime, parking. politics .... yes, but rusty screws on the caliper... no!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts