BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought the 550I new in 2013 - a special order as I wanted a six speed. It was delivered in February 2013. Of course, it had the dreaded N63 engine.
When the care package was made available I took the car into the dealership immediately. I love this car.
ItÂ’s been maintained regularly and oil has been added between services when the warning light has come on.
A few months ago I started getting battery issues and assumed it was because I was only driving short distances during the winter hours and therefore, was getting drained. The fact that the fans continued to run after powering down the car due to the turbos needing to be cooled down didnÂ’t help. I started charging the battery overnight every few days.
A month ago, the car wouldnÂ’t start. I called triple A and had the battery replaced. The car still wouldnÂ’t start so it was towed to the dealership where upon inspection I was told the engine was seized and would need a new one at a cost of 20k.
I contacted BMW NA as I felt they should pay for the new engine as 1) the car had less than 60,000 miles on it, 2) the known issue with the N63 engine and the class action suit.
After escalation at BMW and 4 weeks later the dealership was told to provide the engine oil level plus other data. The dealership drained the oil and it was full as I had recently had an oil change. Unfortunately, they couldnÂ’t perform other tests because the engine was seized. In less than 12 hours I was informed by the dealership that BMW would not cover a thing as they needed the tests to performed on the car with the engine running.

·
Registered
2015 BMW 535i M-Sport
787 Posts
Not to side with BMW, but it is a 9 year old car. Although I would think BMW would have less-pricey procedures to do a quick test in place for those cars that are not running so they could decide whether to do the $2,500 tear-down.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 121K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,968 Posts
A contribution is Modesto, California and its BMW Service Center labor rate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not to side with BMW, but it is a 9 year old car. Although I would think BMW would have less-pricey procedures to do a quick test in place for those cars that are not running so they could decide whether to do the $2,500 tear-down.
Couldn’t agree more about the test but this engine with its twin turbos has a lot of moving parts. Remember, the customer care package process required that the car sit in the dealership for 4 days so that they could inspect and replace a bunch of components.
The car may be 9 years old but it’s been maintained to BMW specs and come on, less than 60k miles. BMW admit there’s a major issue with the design. They are responsible and liable for all issues. I’ve had this car from new and BMW should be buying these cars at a premium as the cars resale value on the market is squat due to the engine and other related issues.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 121K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,968 Posts
No. I guess it would cost $2500 to strip down the engine to find the cause. If I were BMW I would want to know why their V8 engine failed with less than 60k miles on it.
Your engine. BMW built thousands of N63 that are running fine or died from other causes. When you drive it off the lot the BMW limited warranty kicks in. Look to the exclusions and limitations as it’s not a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your engine. BMW built thousands of N63 that are running fine or died from other causes. When you drive it off the lot the BMW limited warranty kicks in. Look to the exclusions and limitations as it’s not a lifetime warranty.
I’m sorry but BMW have admitted that this engine has a major design fault(s) hence the initial ‘care package’ and class action suit related to excessive oil being burned.
The number of N63 engines that have had repairs, rebuilds or replacement is outrageous.
There will be a new class action suit for rebuilds and replacement regardless of age or miles.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You need to make more noise, threaten legal action etc. The fact that you are the original owner and the car has been serviced by BMW should count for something as well. I have worked in many BMW dealerships over the years (thankfully not anymore) and generally speaking, the more noise a customer makes about a problem, the more likely they are to get it resolved. You are correct about the N63 engine. It is a lemon engine and BMW know it. They're just trying to fob you off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m sorry but BMW have admitted that this engine has a major design fault(s) hence the initial ‘care package’ and class action suit related to excessive oil being burned.
The number of N63 engines that have had repairs, rebuilds or replacement is outrageous.
There will be a new class action suit for rebuilds and replacement regardless of age or miles.
and i will join in on this case 100% here is my story I am sending this email today in hopes it will reach someone that has a saying about this and will make a change for the better. I myself is a proud born German that was born in Nuernberg Germany and a 100 % BMW lover and also a loyal costumer to BMW in the last 15 years here in New York, And I take what happened to me very serious and very personal and will not let this rest with no results . The story is this I been taking my cars to BMW of Freeport 100 Cleveland Ave, Freeport, NY Service center since almost 2016 and also few weeks ago I took it for service on topping the oil and a quick check there was nothing wrong other than the mechanic told my advisor that for some strange reason the motor hood feel on him and in some strange reason the motor cover broke hmm ok and I need to change the hood lifting arms what will run me over $1000 I told my advisor what is this they work fine and he went outside to check on it himself and said wow what are they talking about and they perfectly fine we will pay for the cover and you don't need parts so moving on. On that Friday I took it there to pick up the cover and noticed when they gave it back to me that there was a code on the dash and said why is the car given back with a code now saying drivetrain malfunction and to remind them about my old BMW M3 that also had the same issue that code and kept on idling high and would stall out and back then it took them almost 1 year after taking it back and forth trying to find the issue and paying 1000 of dollars that I have on paper from them so I said that is a misfire code and back then I also called BMW in Germany to confirm what they think and they told me to tell them it's the air flow sensor witch it really was but anyways My advisor K dismissed me and said they cannot keep the car there today to bring it back Monday but we did a quick check and it says misfire on 1 no issue you can drive home and will fix it Monday. I asked can I leave the car there because I did not feel right driving home and rather take a loaner like always the answer to that was no its Friday and we are short on loaners because some chips are short or whatever they meant with that when I got home I called Germany BMW and they said to be on the safe side I can change that sparkplug out since I am going to drive it a long distance I had them changed and of course with the original BMW sparkplugs from BMW here and then drove it there since it's a 35 min drive and to be on the safe side and I Left there with no codes on the dashboard I did not drive it all that weekend just in case and drove it Monday morning straight there smooth with no issues no code what so ever I got there and asked straight for a full diagnostic on the car before they take it in k my advisor said it will be done asap and will run me I think he said $249 what of course was no problem. So, after like 30 min I was told it's a misfire and they need to keep it to change that out. I also told him that they missed that there was a hole in the hose and I think happened a few weeks back when the mechanic dropped my hood and broke my motor cover and there I was also told no such thing you have to pay for the hose and might as well do all 4 ..SMH I'm better to change all 4 it will only coast you $1.600 with labor of 6 hours but do remind you my cars engine is too old for them to pay for the damage they did SMH .After not even 2 hours he called and said they changed the hose and no more codes came back car is running fine .But wait a minute you said they need 6 hours well they took it apart now they need to but it back together and that will take 6 hours hmmm fishy but ok. But from there it went all downhill from pressure test to switching plugs borescope test and that test to coil one coil 5 sparkplug 1 sparkplug 5 some other injector hoses to it might be bend rod bearings and Germany BMW clearly said no way because it would of made very loud noise and knocking and if they confirmed with us about a pressure test being done and all the rest testing and if they took the motor apart to fin the issue or did they take the oil panel off to check inside and from where they did the scope test from top or bottom .The man was really trying to help and make sense off all this since he said there is no way this should of happened after all that he said its looking great no code came back and they want to make another cold start in the am to make sure . So that day around 6 a lady calls from BMW freeport finance center saying my advisor told her to give me a call and to see if I wanted to get into a new BMW on a finance ,I said what for I have a car that's paid off in cash clean title and I'm picking it up in the am. So here we are now Friday morning he calls me and told me listen we have an issue we locked the motor as we drove it back in and you have to buy a new engine witch will run you around I think he said almost $23.000.It went from driving it in to breaking down to in report saying it broke down outside as they was driving it to oh it locked on the mechanic ,One story to a new story Then yesterday 7 days later after what happened BMW of NORTH AMERICA CALLED the lady also always seemed to be annoyed that I'm telling my story and really seemed like she don't care and was not showing any interested and sucking under her breath and said she will take care of it .So then the advisor calls me saying BMW OF NORTH AMERICA said they not going to pay for an old engine and waist their money. OH wow but the car sure isn't old enough to take my money or any of my older models I took there for repair and I spend 1000 of dollars there. So I called the lady back from BMW NORTH OF AMERICA she was more annoyed about me calling and asking why that was said and she said as it should be on the recordings that are recorded that she never spoke to anyone over there and never said anything to no one then out of nowhere the Manger calls me trying to make up every excuse in the book to cover up what happened and trying to switch everything around and making jokes and try to explain to me well yes it locked on our time it was damaged on our time but we don't take that reasonability and we don't know why and what went wrong but it could be this could be that and we can't give an answer why and then said in his exact words well the car died on the operating table and if you go to the hospital with a heart problem and you die they are not going to fix you eighter. We can't replace the engine and you have to pay for a new one and no other offer were made to resolve the issue what so ever no I'm sorry let's get this fixed or let's come up with a plan on helping to get a new engine nothing just a rude its broke u pay and fix it and feed Ur money to us . Then today the car was towed back to me from BMW as it got here it's been raining all day since they left freeport it took the driver 2.30 minutes to get here called asked where he is advisor said he left hours ago and he don't know he might of stopped somewhere ok can happen but as it got here the windows where open about 4 in on the top because the battery is totally dead and nothing works the car has no power what so ever and as I opened the door with the tow guy because he said they gave papers for you on passenger seat we stood there together so no one can't say nothing like oh they did it or it was done in Vaine no he was covering himself the fully left side of the car door to the floor was soaked with water it got in the door panels all over the seats the floor on the other side the same thing water all in the switches and seat and floor .So I called and asked if this was a F..... joke and revenge that i complained and said I'm taking a lawyers and going to make sure everyone knows what you guys do and why am I getting my car back with a dead battery no windows closed well closed but on the convertible the window has to snap close after you close the door but it will not do that if the car has no power to move it up and close it shut and clearly not when battery is totally dead and has no power they straight blamed it on the tow truck guy I said you guys are responsible for making sure it gets here safe and sound and when I asked why my car was driven 125 miles the answer I got was no way max 25 miles and it was test driven a few times hmmmmm 125 miles ? if would of never said anything and did not address that a friend text me asking what is some dude doing all the way out here driving the car I told him car is at service in freeport he laughs and said well the joy riding the sh** out your car very nicely so on his time it was driving smooth enough to show it off around freeport and on their time good enough for 125 miles but I was told it was in shop with lots of parts taken apart to see where they issue is and with all the parts off they managed to test drive or say joy right it very good and interesting story ,No one wants to now pay for the engine damage the water damage or take any reasonability and with 100 % sure that now there will be electric damage since water was raining in for almost 2 hours and 30 min in pouring rain leaking into the switches on the driver side and speakers on booth side even that I'm already going to mention the left side speaker hat blown before they say I'm trying to say they damaged that 2.No it's not about that I admit to my mistakes and errors and pay for my own damages and as videos and pics with tow truck guy of course on them on them as door was first opened and water was all in the car and doors we tried to charge the battery no sigh of live so we covered it up so not more damage will be done to the car .And again no one is taking the blame for this .It sure isn't about me wanting money or getting a new car I can buy a new car I can pay for a new engine I work hard for mines but this is about taking reasonability's and standing straight for their mistakes and pay for their damage that they created and their actions and I will not let this sit on me ,And this is how Germany is being represented here in New York what a shame to even have people sit behind a desk and making a bad name for BMW ,All the money and faith costumers but in to BMW to get BMW there where they stand today with loyal customers that buy cars parts service their cars send referrals to people and announce how great BMW is and on and on but in reality this is what you get from them ,And it's a total disgrace and a pure scam on taking costumers money and when something goes wrong leave them alone with the damage and headaches and with no support and effort to resolve the issue, My family and friend sure lost all our faith in BMW and will all withdraw our cars from ever getting serviced or fixed or buy anymore new or used cars from there again and I brought lots of costumers there and family and they brought there friends and family but that will all stop here and now because I will make sure that everyone knows this story and will also think twice for going to any BMW Dealer or service department again .Thank you for your time and leaving a costumer hanging with a damage of almost over $30.000 ...YVONNE SCHIRKONYER (646) 377-6768

1 - 11 of 11 Posts